Why is there so little in the way of "Heavy Weapons."

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ThreePi, Dec 1, 2014.

1. ThreePi

There's like 80 different carbines and LMGs, but in the "Heavy Weapons" class its still just the Jackhammer, MCG, and Lasher. Among those, I'd say they're "mostly" balanced, I think the Jackhammer could use a few more rounds in the magazine to make up for its lack of kills per mag, but otherwise, but performance-wise they're fairly close.

How have there been no plans for any other heavy weapons? At the very least release "AE" versions like they did with ESLs so that we have something new to Auraxium if that's what people are into. Outside of the quasi-recent rebalancing of the MCG it seems like the whole weapon class has been largely forgotten by SOE.
    • Up x 1
  2. doombro

And the heavy weapons in the game are a disgrace to their name. Their look almost totally lacks weight, and they feel just like any other LMG, with a cheap gimmick or two.
    • Up x 2
  3. MostlySilent

I honestly think the heavy weapons are the absolute best examples of faction traits in the game, on top of being well balanced.

The MCG is all about holding down that trigger until it goes click for maximum DAKKA-drive.
    The Jackhammer is a more interesting shotgun with reasonable range.
    The Lasher is a truly unique gun that offers something different.

And this is on top of them being pretty balanced. (Jackhammer might be iffy because it kind of is just the best shotgun)

They've also all got really nice sounds to them. I just wish the MCG was held underslung and had a meatier model to it.
    • Up x 2
  4. Frostiken

The Lasher is the only unique Heavy Weapon. Coincidentally, it's also a burden to use and of extremely questionable purpose. It's only purpose is spraying wildly at the enemy, otherwise it's nothing but a massive liability for you and your teammates, since it has practically the slowest TTK of anything in the whole damn game. Every single player can just casually walk away from a Lasher before it will do significant damage to them. If you get killed by one you're playing the game wrong.
  5. BobSanders123

I'd much rather they prefer on overexaggerating each of the factions traits. Like the MCG goes up to 1000 RPM, but does low damage and has minimal horizontal recoil. The Jackhammer fires 334 damage rounds, but at the cost of a low fire rate and high vertical recoil.
    • Up x 1
  6. Paragon Exile

The Lasher is borderline overpowered when used correctly, it's my highest KPM weapon.

Most people are just terrible and using it like an LMG, so they think it's bad.
    • Up x 3
  7. Shadowomega

Well it would be slightly better if the the Heavies Tool slot would act as an optional primary slot at least for the VS, the other two factions are just as effective with their heavy weapon as the other weapons of their class. Though the mass increase in flak armor users have drecreased the effectiveness of the lashers splash damage.
  8. Hoki

Its a fluff name, call them flavor LMGs if it makes you feel better.
  9. Hatesphere

pretty much this. i have used the Lasher in a dedicated support/suppression roll and man it can net a crap ton of kills and assists used correctly with a squad. problem is your average laser user is not part of a competent squad trying to leverage its strengths, and as you say use it like an LMG.
  10. CursoryRaptor

Dude, there aren't really any heavy weapons in this game that aren't mounted on vehicles if you're going by the proper definition for what a heavy weapon is.

Generally, when you're talking about heavy weapons, you're talking about mortars, heavy machine guns, howitzers, etc. (i.e. crew served weapons. Actually, I wonder if it would be feasible for the devs to develop crew served weapons. If it were about as effective as their real world equivalents, I'd have no problem whatsoever with setting up a heavy machine gun nest in some bases. :)
  11. Hammerlock

how the name describe it "heavy" is not like heavy ...
    a real heavy gun is heavy enough to let you only carry this gun and nothing more
    [IMG]
    look at Batou from ghost in the shell