Why is the lasher getting nerfed?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by WarpNaccele, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Locke

Kudos to you & your outfit. Many players pick up a weapon and go run around solo and then say it sucks when they lose 1v1 or cant get solo kills with it. I could never understand why more Vanu weren't using the Lasher like this offensively and defensively previously especially at an outfit level.
  2. Drealgrin

LOL @ RELOAD TIME. Bro, bro, if reloading is an issue with you when you're playing a lasher then you aren't using it right.

10% rate of fire when your rate of fire is 300 is literally invisible in EVERY POSSIBLE WAY.

your rate of fire got a huge buff in that the mini chain gun immediately starts firing, when previously it took .5 seconds to start doing damage you're flinging rounds downrange immediately. and when you can have a 200 round drum holy crap if reload time is an issue for you with your weapon you clearly aren't using it that well...
    • Up x 1
  3. Drealgrin

Because a group of 5 lashers will always be less effective in EVERY possible scenario than a group of 5 LMGs.
    Now even more so due to the splash damage nerf.

1 to 2 lashers in a squad might help a marginal amount (Nothing like watching an enemy's corpse flail to the ground from behind a box or something LOL), but anything more than that they're a liability. (Or just spammy fun)
  4. BalogDerStout

I wonder what the stats on the lasher are going to look like in a week or two post this patch.

Of course, a sample size of 8 people probably won't tell us much.
  5. Wezdor

I was gonna buy the Lasher with my next 1000 certs, thank god i decided to wait for the GU. This thing is **** now and utterly worthless.
  6. Rown

How can you kill which was never alive?
  7. Arcfade

The only thing that really bothers me is the question: What was wrong with the PS1 Lasher setup?

It had a nice little niche where it was still gimmicky but FUN to use and you could still kill people with it WITHOUT ganking yourself.

This new-fangled lasher is just, weh.
  8. Keiichi25

You obviously never really played PS1 long enough to know how that weapon really worked through its beginning to end.

The Original Lasher was a slow firing, slow round weapon that would auto-hit people along the way. Then got changed that it would also auto-hit friendly. Then changed again where it didn't auto-hit friendly because of the serious grief it did. Then changed again to have a slightly faster velocity round, although still not bullet speed fast, because the weapon only worked well in corridors where it forced people to go into a confined line of fire area where everywhere else, it was even worse than the MCG in use beyond that.

The current lasher has its own variation of grief, where the rounds do sort of explode hitting the shield when firing out, but the Lasher v2 is a bit more accurate than the orion at longer ranges with a better damage potential, although for night fighting, damn blinding.
  9. Arcfade

It's like I came home from work to find Lasher's exotic, foreign v2 cousin lounging in my bed, telling me that Lasher v1 is never coming back, and that I should just take it instead.
    • Up x 1
  10. Keiichi25

Yes, a 33 ms is hardly noticeable to human perception unless you are like constantly in an adrenaline high or taking speed or something that would alter your perception of time.

And to be honest, last night, I was using the MCG... The reload time on the MCG is rather 'short' compared to the Carv 9 or the NC SAW which basically carries nearly the same amount of rounds so complaint wise, the reload time on the MCG is not really an issue especially with the removal of the spinup delay. And yes, the rampup of ROF is not as nice, but then again, first several rounds are going to start off with a low COF and a slightly better burst fire potential than 'Hold, oh, now firing...'
  11. Keiichi25

The Lasher v1 focused more on just 'spray and pray'. While yes, the v2 one is sort of the same thing along with the other weapons, there is a bit more conscious effort to hit a target versus relying on the incidental 'lash' effect from pure spammage. And with the TTKs way lower than what it is in Planetside 1, the incidental damage would be way too annoying if all one had to do was fire in a general direction of the target versus a more conscious effort to try and hit the target.
  12. TeknoBug

The ROF increase is barely noticeable, but it seems to have a stronger direct damage and weaker splash damage. I think I'll just stick to the SVA-88 since that does direct damage at a faster rate.

In PS1 it was called the grief gun because it lashed friendlies too easily, I was weapon locked a few times and there's a reason why many VS players stuck to medium assault weapons instead of certing into heavy assault (the Lasher) for a long time.
  13. Stellus

Call it PS1 nostalgia, but the Lasher was a spam weapon used to suppress more than assault. The increase in CoF may be reverting it back to it's oolden days?
  14. Clutchstep

The Lasher is the best area suppression infantry weapon in the game, and 5 of them are far superior to 5 LMGs for that purpose as you don't actually have to hit anyone. I've suppressed doorways with my single Lasher to the point where the enemy team logged in with a VS alt to TK me so they could get through the door. 5 Lashers will melt any infantry coming through a doorway, or standing within 1m of that doorway, and highly motivate anyone within 3 m of that doorway to get the hell away from that doorway.

The Lasher stinks in general versus LMGs, but to say that LMGs are always better really isn't true. It sadly becomes slightly more true after this set of nerfs though.
    • Up x 1
  15. Azereiah

^5 Lashers will only instantly kill somebody if they take three groups of 5 orbs in their general vicinity. Takes 5 direct hits to kill, and 5 LMGs would have shredded their face at the same range.
  16. BoomBoom4You

The JH did NOT get a buff--lower ROF, damage reduction, increase reload times, and cool down for 3x shot option. Only buff was increased clipp size. We are as disappointed as you...
    • Up x 1
  17. BoomBoom4You

Maybe a bit extreme, a lot of the players in this game are pretty difficult to deal with, and he's done a good job imo. However, this patch was an utter fail. I think most of us agree on that.
    • Up x 3
  18. llPendragon

Uh.....no. It's definitely not better.
    It shoots slower and does less damage. But hey! You'll get to enjoy that for longer in between reloads (which are longer now too)! :rolleyes:
  19. Clutchstep

If 5 Lashers are being spammed at a doorway, enemies start taking damage once they're 3m from that door. With the current Lasher, that's about 125 damage every 0.2s when they're 3m away from the door, increasing to 375 damage every 0.2s once they get within 1m. If they've managed to actually make it to the doorway, they're probably almost dead without the Lashers landing any direct hits on them. This also hits everyone within 3m of that doorway, not just the first one there. With LMGs, the first few people out the doorway essentially act as bullet shields for the people behind them, and they can rally right by the doorway to prepare for a rush.

I'm not saying that the Lasher is OP or even superior to LMGs in general, because it's not. But the Lasher is basically a doorway suppression weapon and it is better at that than any other infantry weapon in the game.
  20. Verisimilituder

The changes to the Lasher's hipfire and recoil have turned it from usable but gimmicky to useless. Thanks for nothing devs.