Why Is The AC-X11 So Much Better Than The Razor/Cougar?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by NoctD, Sep 1, 2014.

1. NoctD

I don't get it - people say the Razor and Cougar are supposed to be accurate but to me they're just terrible, only good for plinking your enemy from afar. So I decided to just cert up the AC-X11, and it drops the enemy easily and is very competitive. Can't see a reason to bother with the Razor/Cougar junk. The Pulsar C is better than either of those, so is the T5 AMC but the AC-X11 just triumphs them all.

Been playing with the Gauss SAW and its been beastly, so I decided it was time to try out something different. Between the AC-X11 and GD-7F there's little need to look at the other NC carbines. The basic Merc is a better choice than the Razor too.

Too bad TR don't have a truly competitive mid-long carbine... the VS Pulsar C is at least better than the Razor/Cougar/AMC IMO. At least there's the sweet Lynx I guess.

Bottom line - I just don't get the Razor/Cougar. The Cougar feels like an absolute rip-off too for 700SC/1000 certs, and it doesn't do anything really better than the T5 AMC. On paper it doesn't seem like the TTK differences matter much between these guns, but in my hands anyways, there seems to be a sizable difference. Also LA vs. LA 1v1, the AC-X11 seems to be the one weapon I die to/lose a lot of fights with when I'm facing NC as either VS/TR.

Btw if anyone wants a really good review of the AC-X11 check out Razeroth's review on Youtube...

I guess I'll be unlocking the Reaper DMR next. The NC's 200/500 weapons seem to be godly! And the Tross I suspect is much like being stuck with the Razor when you can just go with the AC-X11.
    • Up x 1
  2. Iridar51

Because of the higher bullet damage; same reason why Cougar is better than T5 AMC. AC-X11 also has higher DPS.
    Cougar is "okay", but sadly that's the best available to TR, not just at range, but overall as well. When grinding 800 kills for LA directives, I went through Lynx, Jaguar and T5 AMC before once again zeroing in on Cougar as a definite winner.

I was also weirded out by how much is GD-7F better than the Lynx, I thought surely they'll be very similar. But nope.

Of course, there are limits to where higher bullet damage is better than rate of fire, but I'd say 167 damage weapons hit the best balance for close quarters fights, and 200 for ranged fighting.
  3. Grimtou

The AC-X11 is excellent if you are dilligent about positioning or have sufficient time to aim to take advantage of the 0 cof first shot.

I prefer the AC-X11 to the razor, except for longer range engagements where you need more bullets and faster reloads (open fields) where the damage degredation doesn't do the AC-X11 any favors.
  4. minhalexus

I still prefer the Razor for longer ranges.

ACX-11 has bad velocity, and recoil compared to the Razor. Giving the Razor a much unique edge.

Surprisingly, I'm able to land MUCH more headshots with the Razor at closer and longer ranges a like as compared to the ACX-11.
  5. Agiond

It all depends on the user hands. Razor is more noob friendly than the AC-X11, just because you can miss some shots and you can still probably kill the enemy. Miss some shots with the AC-X11 and you'll end up dead.

So if you have good aim and are able to control its recoil, AC-X11 is awesome.
  6. lilleAllan

I prefer the Razor. Instant reload, insane bullet velocity, better moving accuracy if I remember correctly.
  7. NoctD

I don't really see how the Razor is that much more accurate than the AC-X11... the bullet velocity helps if you trying to hit someone moving across your screen sure but if they're coming right at you, the AC-X11 stops them dead like they ran into a mack truck. The buffed 24 round mag isn't bad given you need less bullets to drop someone too (I can see how the early days 20 was a bit low though). And the total low ammo pool being a problem isn't necessarily a bad one either... if you're running out of bullets it means you're generally keeping alive long enough to actually use up all your bullets, and that likely means you've laid waste to your enemies.

I will admit I'm no human headshotting aimbot myself, so I guess that factors in to the AC-X11 just feeling so much better/more effective to me?
  8. Nakar

The AC-X11 isn't really a long-range carbine like the Razor ostensibly is, although if you stop moving it's decent at that (if you are moving the ADS COF is a bit crotchety at longer distances, but it's no handicap at shorter ones). It's probably a better tree camping gun and a better run-and-gun weapon, but the Razor does have its insane reloads and is basically set up for much longer engagements.

The way I tend to see it, the AC-X11 is in the same camp as the Pulsar C and T5 AMC, weapons that trade some spitting range effectiveness (none are bad at that, just not as good) to be great in ADS from close to 50m+. The AC-X11 is the most accurate NC carbine after attachments, the AMC is the same for TR, and the Pulsar C is the most accurate automatic carbine period. All three have Advanced Grip, all three have HVA. I think it was originally the idea that all three were "long-range" carbines, but only the Pulsar C really effectively fills that role (which is good, because it's the one VS carbine that does). If you think of the AC-X11 and AMC as generalists instead of sniper carbines they make more sense and are generally more effective (and they are very, very effective).

The Razor and Cougar were essentially released to provide "true" ranged carbines that sort of fill the longer-distance niche the Pulsar C fills while not stepping on the toes of the AC-X11 and AMC which fulfill the short-mid niche of the Pulsar C but aren't as good as the Pulsar C at longer distances. The arguable issue with the Razor and Cougar is that carbines just tend not to be particularly good at range though. Still, both have HVA, which helps a lot with that problem, and are very controllable and good at pressure due to low RPM and high throughput (Razor via its reload, Cougar via its high magazine capacity).

Also the best TR midrange carbine isn't the AMC, nor is it the Cougar. It's the Lynx (minimum damage + volume, volume, volume), but shhhhh, don't tell anybody!
    • Up x 1
  9. AirpainFood

I used the Razor for quite some time while I was grinding for the GD-7F, (and I love the GD-7F, it is my favorite gun,) and I hated it. I actually wanted to get the AC-X11, but I heard it was alot like the Razor and the Gauss Saw, both of which I didn't like.
  10. Crayv

AC-X11 is a weapon I want to like but still feels like it is missing something. The low velocity combined with the rather poor ADS movement accuracy means it best to use while standing still on targets that are also standing still, which is not a good combo.

The TTK is decent and the hipfire is okay. So I went with a LS over a forgrip and treated it like the Merc. It seemed to work for me as I went with that all the way to Auraxium the thing.
    • Up x 2
  11. NoctD

My goodness - I think your analysis is perfectly spot on... when I say long range carbine, I think most people categorize it as mid-range and I just hate weapons which pigeon-holes you into certain situations. Generalist weapons are truly my cup of tea. And about the Lynx, yes, there's no reason I couldn't/wouldn't use a Lynx all day long really aside from the need to try out other weapons for medals and such! Even the weapon model of the Lynx is now a thing of real beauty!

The reason I don't like the Cougar/Razor turns out to be the same ones I don't like shotguns. I've been struggling to figure why I dislike these 2 so much, when the Pulsar C on its basic stats looks almost the same as them.
  12. Redwave

I auraxiumed the AC-X11 and switched over to the Razor GD-23 and I have to say compared to the AC-X11 the Razor is just ****, really. The carbine is good and all but when you go from a monster to a less "monsterous" weapon you are like meh no big deal. I wish to auraxium the Razor as soon as possible because I do not like it all that much compared to the AC-X11. I mean the AC-X11 is such a beast it can do anything really, fight in CQC, Mid-range and long range, of course it does fall short in CQC like the rest of the carbines you mentioned but to me it was only slightly. It could easily kill enemies with 5 bullets to the chest, while other carbines 6 or 7.
  13. cruczi

This part makes no sense. You were doing so well... :(

Lynx is a CQC hipfire DPS monster and accurate while moving in ADS in short bursts. T5 AMC is much better at midrange:
    • more stable horizontal recoil
    • 2/3 the ROF which further helps with stability
    • 2/3 the ADS COF bloom
    • fixed angle recoil
    • 2/3 the first shot recoil
    • 4/5 the vertical recoil per second
    • more damage per mag, same reload speed
    • 200 m/s higher velocity
  14. Nakar

Try actually using the Lynx at those ranges. Psst! I'll give you another tip:

T5 AMC minimum DPS: 1217
    Lynx minimum DPS: 1515

Just as DPS isn't everything up close, accuracy isn't everything at a distance. The Lynx doesn't have to be more accurate than the AMC, it just has to be accurate enough, and it is (the moving ADS COF advantage helps a little too). The AMC's best window of opportunity is in the 30-60m range. Inside of that, the Lynx handily wins out. Outside of that, the Lynx wins if you can land an equivalent to slightly lower number of shots. Within that range... the Lynx is close enough to be effectively competitive. Plus its recoil angle is shallower. The AMC wastes less ammo doing it, but I don't care about ammo when I'm playing an Engineer, which I normally do when using carbines. It might be more of a concern for LAs.

A similar argument can be made for the AC-X11 vs. the Razor, incidentally, and the X11 has an even stronger argument because it has an Advanced Grip and HVA to erode the Razor's supposed ranged damage decay advantage (not that it matters, as the AC-X11 has higher DPS and lower TTK at every range).