Why is it so difficult to add doors?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kriegson, May 7, 2014.

1. Kriegson

Disrupt the flow of battle? Potential cheesing? I don't know, seems everything does could bring to the game far outweigh the negatives. So why don't we have doors again?
    • Up x 2
  2. Thardus

That's actually a pretty tough one. Best I can figure is that unlike Planetside, PS2 rarely has clearly defined "indoors" and "outdoors".
    • Up x 5
  3. Kristan

Prolly Devs afraid of PS1 experience with doors. You know it was quite funny to chase the enemy and it phased through the closed doors because of clientside lag issue.
  4. libbmaster

Performance.

Adding objects that move when interacted with by players just brutalizes FPS.
    • Up x 9
  5. Rossinna-Sama

Add some doors, then make them destroyable by either shooting at them (would take a fair amount of punishment) or hacking... or bringing a tank or the nose of a bored Skywhale and ramming it. An Engineer can repair said door to bring it back up, or maybe even bring a replacement for a turret which lets you weld the door shut for extra strength... Most of this functionality is already here in Generators - Back a very long time ago you could actually shoot Gens to kill them.

Heck, you could expand it so an EMP grenade would make the door open and close randomly, instantly killing anyone who doesn't time their entry right. Plenty of options apart from just welding a steel grate to all the windows and permanently sealing most of the doors in the bases...

But as Libbmaster said... won't happen due to latency concerns. What a pity.
    • Up x 1
  6. Bickdouglas

Because nanites?
  7. Camycamera

i'd say it is still possible to add doors, i am still so very much hoping. people have already said though that it isn't as taxing as people make it out to be. just have it be a button press, that triggers an opening door (to prevent it becoming like PS1 where doors were automatic and there was constant lagging that would cause problems in combat including shooting through doors that are open to one player, but actually closed to another). it is no more taxing than generators. that is what i read a long time ago, actually.

and with that, add in the ability for infiltrators to hack/unhack doors so they lock/unlock.
  8. ChipMHazard

Afaik, it was because of performance. I do hope that they end up adding them in though.
  9. Van Dax

anyone who says doors worked fine on ps1 are off their rocker.
    Doors add strain to the server, every door is one less person that can be on the continent. You add just a few doors per base to Indar it'd be as if you had like 500 extra players

the server has to track them as solid objects all the time regardless of open or closed state, and they'd suffer all the problems energy shields do on top of it. rendering issues, lag issues-there'd be tons of "client-side" wilderness of people shooting through closed doors.

all for what? more chokepoints to put a max in or spam grenades through?

its not worth it and its one of the many lessons the devs learned from ps1
    • Up x 3
  10. TheStonehawk

Because the future doesn't have doors. Not even shield walls to keep debris out of important electronic systems like generators and computers. I mean it makes total logical sense to take a great leap a thousand years back into the past. Obviously.
    • Up x 5
  11. Chipay

According to Clegg (may he RIP as a PS2 Dev), the engine can't handle the sheer CPU performance needed to make moving AI (yes, doors are AI). Not with the fights already going on, it would cause huge performance drops.
  12. TheStonehawk

*ahem*

Shield doors? This IS the future right?
  13. johnway

If the doors were automatic, i would assume they would be malfunctioning quite a lot as they try to close partially only for some one to be present to have them jammed open again.

Besides, we have the shields on the spawn room doors. They might provide insulation or something or generate heat.
  14. eldarfalcongravtank

anyone else ever tried training mode and got reminded of a sci-fi shooter singleplayer campaign right at the beginning? that broken half-open slide door that you need to crawl under sure looks atmospheric, in my view. we definitely need a more interactive environment in this game because right now the continents and nature feel DEAD!

i am not calling for fully destructible terrain like in BF4, but something that players can use/interact/destroy (apart from terminals, turrets or deployables) needs to be added
    • Up x 3
  15. Stefan1978GER

Same useless suggestion as rain and wet conditions on racinggames....nobody drive on rain but all ask for it if it is not in.
    • Up x 1
  16. MichaelS

Yea, performance - lets have textured flashlights ....
    • Up x 4
  17. UberBonisseur

They already said moving doors couldn't be a thing for performance reasons and that shields do the same thing.

The real question is:
    Why don't we have hackable shields replacing doors yet ?
    • Up x 6
  18. Goretzu

I think they have performance issues too, just not as bad as door er... doors. But still with a lot of them it would add up, but yes you'd think in a decade of progress they'd have better doors, not no doors. :D
  19. Stormsinger

The constant warfare and constant base exchanges destroyed all the doors long ago, after a certain point... Auraxians just no longer saw a point. Why spend nanites on doors when you can create mines and personnel with them instead?

Things such as vehicles and turrets already have collision detection - what I want is an engineer deployable door, which allows you to erect a shield that will fill doors and windows, but drain quickly when faced with sustained fire.

Instead of a turret, let me deploy a huge friggin' battery connected to a shield generator. When taking fire, the battery overloads, requiring repair. One engineer can deploy one shield, any can repair the generator / battery. if 5 engies are repairing one battery, it would take quite a bit of firepower to remove it. (2-3 infantry unloading into it, a tank round or two would do so as well.)

Guarding strategic entrances, providing portable cover, allowing for the blocking of sniper shots when hiding near a window, and guarding form grenade tosses... the applications are numerous, and all seem obvious. This idea uses nothing but current mechanics, right down to engie turret placement and repairs of an object. :D
  20. JibbaJabba

It's a technological limitation. It's not confined to just planetside either.

To open a door (this is simplified a thousand fold)
    1. All clients must be synced to begin.
    2. One client tells server to open the door.
    3. Server must tell all clients within view that the door is opening starting at X time.
    4. Clients then start rendering the opening door, and applying it's physics allowing the player to slip through first the crack, then finally the fully opened door.
    5. Server must notify all new clients that come into the zone that the door is in the new position.
    6. When a client attempts to move, the server must then decide if they are allowed to move based on the door position. If the client is not in sync with this then the server will reject the movement.
    7. It must do this in a manner that does not allow a desynced (or cheating!) client to briefly walk through and see what is beyond a closed door.
    etc.. etc..

It's just not practical.

A similar process must happen when placing an ammo pack, turret, entering a facility turret, vehicle etc.

The delay you see while a turret is getting placed is primarily because this logic needs to happen, not so much because the delay is gameplay related.

Much of this is also the reason why we don't have player collision. Keeping physical objects in sync for movement purposes is just far to challenging on a network where people expect millisecond response time during firing, and not getting "rubber banded" when colliding with objects and players.