Why don't I see complaints about liberators?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by LGhost1904, May 16, 2013.

1. lilleAllan

It should be mandatory, whenever someone whines about whatever killed them last, that they stated how much experience they had actually using it themselves.

OP, go on a few lib runs yourself and then get back to us.
    • Up x 1
  2. loleator

My latest test on the VR showed that it takes a bit more than 20 seconds to kill a liberator as a Max with dual bursters with extended magazines.

Here's a hint for new players. If the max can see you, you can also see the max. And this is how does it last a Max vs a Lib:

If you can focus a liberator for more than 20 seconds (that's without flak armor) and the Lib ignores you and hovers for that long he DESERVED TO DIE. Maxes are afraid of competent lib crews.
  3. Morti

Stopped using my over 6,000 certs lib. While enjoyable, the game has progressed to a point where most everybody has AA capability. Firstly you can't just pick up any random player into your lib and expect good communication and teamwork. The belly gun is the meat and potatoes of the lib, you can't just put any old joe in that seat. I now almost exclusively pull my lib when a friend asks me if I want to or to suicide tank buster an annoying Sunderer.

Every TR heavy and their pet dogs carry a striker. Vanu heavies and their Maxes can snipe with the lancers/new AV weps. A single smart played ESF can take down a Lib alone, and it's unbelievably easy for them to finish one that's already been damaged. Dual AA max spam, base AA turrets. G2A launchers. MBT's and Lightnings have opportunities to land a couple shots on Liberators that fly low to escape flak and break line of sight of Lock ons.

We move slowly, we're large and obvious. We make a hell of a racket. If we didn't have the air to ground effectiveness we would be worthless.
    • Up x 1
  4. Prodigal

That's because of the lolpod spam.
    • Up x 1
  5. Xasapis

I did mention two reloads. It's also not that hard to cover from a zepher lib if you stick around buildings or the spawn room.

Nice video btw ;)
  6. NinjaTurtle

To be fair though if the Lib pilot keeps it belly facing the ESF it is quite possible that its Dalton could OHK the ESF on it's next attack run.

Good piloting from an ESF pilot needs to be countered by good piloting from the Lib pilot and he also has 2 other people to give him info on where the ESF is and doesn't have to worry about shooting because he has people to do that for him.

Though Striker spam may have a lot to do with it also, fighting the TR is a pain in the **** in ground vehicles or air
  7. loleator

A 2/3 lib can be killed with an ESF, just afterburning past him and avoiding his belly. If he switches to walkers he will just damage you depending on his skill before you kill him.

However a 3/3 lib with either walkers or bulldog is hard to kill with an ESF because now you have to avoid 2 danger angles. That results on either spending too much time afterburning past his belly and then getting killed (1 shot dalton, 2 zepher, 3 bulldog) or getting slowly killed by the (useless on 2/3 libs but useful on 3/3 libs for said angles thing) walkers.
  8. EvilPhd

Because Libs, of all things received the hardest and most Nerfbats of anything in the game.
    Libs have been nerfed in all their weapons multiple times. Their bullets had their explosion radius severely gimped, double extra bullet gravity has been artificially injected to prevent long distance bombing. Their cannons have been slowed down and weak sauced to prevent their tank busters from busting tanks. They have been reduced to a close in range sniper meaning direct hits only are effective. Their shields have been nerfed. Their agility have been nerfed because some good lib pilot/gunner crews were effectively engaging ESFs after the ground pound nerfs, then the ESFs started to cry rivers of tears.

They have been nerfed ad naseum.

Any more nerfbatting and they would be completely non functional.
    • Up x 2
  9. Klondik3

Pretty much. Since there aren't many nerf lib threads floating around it is safe to assume that SOE overdid it with nerfs.
    • Up x 1
  10. Macchus

So anyone had any success with turning the lib into ,say, a heavy fighter or something ?
  11. Klondik3

1)Lib requires 2-man crew so you should compare one lib to two AA maxes.
    2)AA MAXes aren't always easy to spot
    3)AA MAXes will deal damage to the liberator during the time it takes for the lib to get in position
    4)With the addition of empire specific rocket launchers, expect to receive additional striker, phoenix or lancer damage on top of flak
    5)Don't forget random ESFs lurking around

Conclusion: while it takes AA MAX 20 seconds to take down a lib don't forget to take into the consideration all other forms of AA such as turrets, heavy assault's launchers, occasional skyguard and lurking ESFs. Also realize than AA MAXes will always open fire first because they have easier time spotting the lib than lib has spotting them.
  12. metrotw

Libs are nothing more than flying cert bundles.

They had their moment of glory in the first 6-8 weeks of the game but that's about it...
  13. Konfuzfanten

A MAX with fully upgraded flak has nearly the same effective health of a MBT and a hit profile of an infantryman. If you cant take down a lib with a dual burster MAX you are doing something wrong. You dont have to stand still when you shot the lib and you dont have to wait for it to open fire.
  14. treisinegomoh

Why is that?

If Libs are your personal nightmare right now, then you're doing something terrible wrong! Libs are big and slow and get shredded to pieces if facing anything but single AA. You're not trying to solo fight a Lib, or are you?

Maybe you should leave your AA MAX behind sometimes and try something else tither to counter Libs or just to do something else but trying to solo them, e.g. grab an ESF!
  15. Dvine

Complaints about Libs? Seriusly? Did I invent time travel and moved back 6 months in time? (yey Nobel Prize here I come)

As a former Lib user (cca 8k certs in mine) now a burstermax convert I laugh on theese threads.... With Flak 2 and Dual Extended Mags I can outdance a 3/3 Lib no matter how many certs he has spent on it or what weapon he uses.. Its comical that my 1700cert investment in the Max can completely and utterly shut down/destroy a 3 man aircraft.

Worth mentioning that I can reach the Lib and do significant damage 2 hexes/1km away while I dont show up on the Lib gunners screen outside of 300m or less.
    • Up x 1
  16. Technologist

Remember an effective liberator takes 2-3 people. You want a one man solution to destroy a 2-3 crew ship.

Here's what I use in the order of effectiveness.

The Lightning with a Sky-guard will destroy a 1-3 man Liberator with ease. Shot down 8-10 yesterday. 2X zoom and sit right in the open destroying them. Tanks were my main threat but with Level 3 race chassis I could keep my distance.

Max burster with the extended 42 round magazine is also very effective. You just need to find defensible positions with some cover when needed. That and close to full cert regen or an engineer. With practice the TR dual fractures can be effective on libs. The closer the better. Not as good as the Bursters but surprisingly effective with practice.

One good ESF pilot can easily take down a 2-3 man liberator. Just shoot them at a distance keeping above them and slightly back. Make sure not to get close enough for the belly up Dalton or Zephyr to hit you. Also never let their nose point at you as the tank buster or a RAM will get you. On a Mossy the Needler is the most effective way to destroy a Liberator from a distance but the rotary also works.
  17. lilleAllan

Yes, just run the shredder and zero g airframe.
    Enemy fighters think you're noob when they see the shredder. Stop and roll and let the belly gunner murder them, when they get too close.

Problem is - you're dependent on their stupidity since they can easily outrun you and you're basically hosed if they keep their distance. Also, you need to communicate with your belly gunner, since he needs a constant angle.

You can still take down ground armor, but you'll need to fly low, since the Shredders damage drops off a lot. This thing could use a buff.
  18. CHC999

Giant block of text but what you are really complaining is that you are unable kill a liberator all by your lonesome? A crewed vehicle which is suppose to kill land targets (not that it does that very well nowdays).

I rather like to have my 2 mintues of wasted time back thankyou very much.
  19. PaperPlanes

I miss those days. Liberators were a big factor, they determined air superiority, but so did the ESFs trying to counter them, so the mere presence of Liberators meant a really fun dogfight would happen, with the winning side getting the luxury of having their Libs bomb in safety. It made pilots directly involved in battles and it felt like we had important roles.

Now? Now all air is just a minor annoyance to the almighty Call of Duty infantry players. They get to flip a switch of lock-ons, burster MAXes, Phalanx turrets and Skyguards to decide if they want air to be involve in a fight or not. It's just a literal on/off switch and the air units can do next to nothing about it.

I want to see MBTs get a massive AOE pulse weapon that just automatically blows away all infantry within 500 meters of the tank. That's what it's like for air to deal with all the anti-air right now. It just decides "hey, we don't want any aircrafts anywhere near this fight, see ya!".
  20. CHC999

They did, it was called the HE cannon. Remember what happened to that?