Why doesn't the depot show all the stats of weapons?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Captain Man, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Captain Man

(First, a general suggestion, why not have a number hovering over the bars so it's easier to compare without the compare button?)

Damage - |||||
    Fire rate - |||||
    Reload speed - |||||
    Accuracy - |||||

Range - Short/Medium/Etc.
    Mag Size - 9
    Fire mode - Auto/Burst/Etc.

These are the only stats we are shown, but they aren't everything. Or maybe they are and I'm confused, if so, correct me, show me the light!

Anyways, what about bullet velocity? The faster the bullet the further it goes so this is probably the range... But, even if it is we're not given a value really more of a guesstimate like short, medium. It'd be much more useful for a bar here like the other stats above it. Example: 4 of the 6 NC Snipers have "Very Long" range. One mentions high muzzle velocity and how it makes it easier to hit target because you don't have to lead them. So, I assume that it has slightly higher velocity than the others 3 very long ranged ones but how can I be certain? I don't want to assume, I want to know. Instead of these delicious flavor texts on the weapons, why not give some more useful stat information? (Or both.) Like a velocity or a range the bullet will go before hitting the ground if shot on level ground and the gun is level. Or half that number to give a reasonable range with no drop off. (Velocity doesn't really have anything to do with damage. Typically they're correlated but think of shooting a really fast BB bullet and a really slow rocket. There's more to damage than speed.)

Recoil isn't mentioned anywhere except vaguely in the description. Unless it's being mashed together with how accurate a shot is into Accuracy. The way I see it there's four types of accuracy, the first is how accurate the first shot is. Consider that base accuracy. This is basically how far from your reticle the bullet lands. A shotgun has low accuracy here while sniper rifles should be high. The next is how inaccurate the weapon gets under sustained fire. Two single shots are more accurate than two back-to-back. The third is recoil. How much does the gun move after a shot? In some sense, velocity is here but let's not count that because it has more to do with range. The last is how inaccurate the weapon gets after moving. Some weapons say they're designed to be better on the move. But... how much better?

The fire modes are straight up wrong. Luckily it's not as large of an issue though, this is just because most guns let you switch to single fire and they don't say Auto/Semi, which would make sense if every gun had a single fire mode but I'm not sure if they do. This is a very small gripe and isn't the main point.

Damage against certain types of armor is mentioned in the description but it'd be nice to have it as an explicit stat instead. Examples are certain vehicle weapons mention soft point ammo that's good against enemy air craft (which I assume extends to things that are lightly armored like people and flashes as well but I can't know for sure). This is a minor gripe like the fire modes, not as minor but still minor.

Reload speed, why not give an actual number here instead of a bar? Like 1 second or .3 seconds per shot gun shell.

Also, some sniper rifles are pictured without a scope. Do they not come with one? It'd be nice to know the default scope's zoom as well. On all weapons, even though it's probably just 1x. There could be a stat like Default scope: 3x if if was something other than 1x.

I think a better system while keeping it simple would be something like this,

Damage - ||||||||(3 per shot)|||||||||| (Have numbers hovering over the bars)
    Fire rate - ||||||||(2.5 per second)||||||||||
    Reload speed - |||||||||(1 second)|||||||||
    Distance - 250m (distance for bullet to travel half way to ground on level ground with level weapon)
    Accuracy - ||||||||||||||||||
    Recoil - ||||||||
    Sustained - ||||||| (If recoil and sustained were lumped together, it wouldn't make a difference honestly)
    Acc-On-The-Run - ||||||||||||
    Radius - |||||||||||||| (Only for explosives)

Effective Range - Short/Medium/Etc. (Still useful for beginners. Weapons with long ranges that are wildly inaccurate aren't really good at long range)
    Mag Size - 9
    Fire mode - Auto/Burst/Etc.
  2. Masterjts

The stats it does show are broken and do not reflect the gun's actual stats. Even some of the descriptions are wrong.
  3. Captain Man

4. Captain Man