Why does using shotguns make some people really, really angry?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Talthos, Dec 31, 2018.

1. Talthos

I'm merely curious.
    • Up x 1
  2. Pelojian

the reason why is because in most games they are really effective in their intended range to properly make up for their lack of range(except PS2).

a good example is some whiny kiddy DDOS attacked H1Z1 cuz he hated the shotguns in that game.

put simply in other games if you get into the effective range of a shotgun user he can own you, just as much as you can own him when he's out of his effective range.
  3. oOHansOo

@Peliojian i think you're going in the completely wrong direction, in what Thaltos meant.
    People don't hate to use shotguns, they hate to be on the receiving end of the buckshot. Shotguns are efficient in Planetside 2, maybe not the starter semi auto shotguns, but all other ones.
    But players hate being shot be the pumpaction shotguns the most, simply because they can consistently oneshot people in close quarter combat, without giving them reaction time.
    An other shotgun, that gathers hate is the baron, because of it's relatively high range and tight pellet spread.
    But when it comes down to it, all the hate for shotguns is just a case of whining. Got killed by shoutgun: ZOMFG such ********, take a real gun, and so on. Just ignore the complaining.
  4. Pelojian

people don't rage nearly as much to getting sniped, so part of it is indeed the perception that all shotguns across all games are equally as powerful as each other. heck even C4 is widely used against infantry but rarely complained about by infantry.
  5. The Rogue Wolf

"I didn't get to fight back! If I'd had a chance to, I'd have won! Unfair!"
    • Up x 2
  6. Vanguard540

I've had people threaten me and my family in private messages and even switch faction to kill me. But that's when I'm playing infiltrator, never happened with shotguns like Deimos. On Cobalt many players use a shotgun, many are trying to aurax the christmas directive reward too. I think it's not shotguns itself making people rage, I think it's being killed by anything not giving you a chance to fight back.
    • Up x 1
  7. Jac70

Probably because they are cheesy noobtubes.
    • Up x 1
  8. HippoCryties

Me and my friends have many terms for those who use shotguns which we may not say on the forums.
    The one shot shotguns honestly are just cheese, with slugs u can headshot mans from quite a decent amount away and there is hardly no Tim ego react. If u don’t one shot the guy u needn’t worry since it only takes a short time till u can shoot again.
    Finally, most fight are in CQC. People will argue that but it’s facts
  9. HippoCryties

You’ve really got a messed up perception of who thinks what. When I’m sniped by a ghost , SAS R, Tsar 42 I can hardly help congratulate the person , especially in CQC. Long range snipers is another story and that’s kinda cheesy. C4 is perhaps the one thing that I hate more than shotguns, no skill. Other day in a bio lab fight I’m farming mans run down the stairs and see a brick of C4 flying towards me. What can I do? Nothing.
  10. Demigan

Because of a few reasons.

When they shoot a shotgun user at range they have no problem with it, they'll even enjoy an easy victory. Shotguns are (usually) designed with a trade off: they sacrifice range for more CQC power. It would be unfair if the shotgun was just as good in CQC as other weapons but still had to sacrifice its range.

Now less thinking people will find it unfair, "but I couldnt defend myself!" is what you've already read in this thread. But you could defend yourself, you just didnt know it.
    A shotgunner cant be effective at range (and sacrifiicing your CQC power with slugs for a weaker ranged power than "normal" weapons is not an option), but the shotgunner can defend himself at range by using other skills. Situational awareness, movement, outplaying the enemy. The other player when faced with a shotgun already had the chance to spot and engage the shotgunner beforehand and defrnd himself, but he didnt have the skills or attention to do it. But dont worry, the latest "buff" to shotguns made it nearly impossible for shotguns to out-DPS normal weapons, while needing more skill to pull it off. Other weapons you can just hold the trigger and try to look at your enemy and you are effective. Shotguns need a picture-perfect shot within 1 to 7m each time to stay ahead in the DPS race.

"but the game is all about CQC!"
    No it isnt. Theres tons of signs for this. MAX's for example are longer range than shotguns, but see only use in specific bases at specific area's as they dont have the effective range outside of that.
    If CQC was the be-all of the game, it would be won by CQC oriented weapons primarily. Yet the most op weapons since the beginning of the game have always been easy to use weapons good at most ranges. Additionally, shotguns are a unique weapon type amongst the categories of similar weapons. LMG's, Carbines, AR's, SMG's are all just variations on automatic magazine-fed bullet weapons. If shotguns and CQC weapons reigned OP then their usage and their performance statistics would be higher, and with shotguns being unique and focussed on CQC they would need to see an abnormally high usage.
    SMG's, which are just weaker Carbines, see just as much usage as shotguns. In fact shotguns see some of the least usage in the game. Shotguns also dont Trump other weapons in the performance department.

Anyone also considered the fact that what people consider the best abilities on shotguns are basically things to make it look more like an automatic bullet weapon? Slugs, automatic firing, the Baron's "range" and "accuracy" while sacrificing all the advantages a shotgun would bring...

People complain because they dont know anything about shotguns, they often dont have the additional skills required to function with them. If you want to get better at the game I would say that shotguns are the best thing to learn it: you need to learn the layout, positions of friendlies and enemies, the likely looking directions of enemies, paths to get to them and picture-perfect aim to kill off an enemy before they kill you. After using shotguns I can guarantee you that all other weapons in the game become so much easier, especially when you use your learned shotgun skills with these weapons.
    • Up x 4
  11. HippoCryties

Cannot believe this post I just read
  12. Demigan

The beauty is that you dont have to believe in it for it to be true.

Also you actually believe that a pump-action with slugs is a headshot machine that gives you plenty of time to kill enemies. You obviously dont have a clue about shotguns and a very warped idea of how they work.
  13. Vanguard540

Most fights are CQC because everyone is forced to shelter in rooms if you want to avoid banshee, vanguard and lightning AI farm.
  14. HippoCryties

Hahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahhahaha
    Come on cobalt and say that to the face of rektokek.
    See what he says
  15. Talthos

Your name makes it difficult to take you seriously.
  16. HippoCryties

That’s what I intended
  17. Sindroms

People need a reason to blame for the outcome of an engagement that they ended up on the wrong side of.
    • Up x 1
  18. Demigan

"because there's this one guy on one server that is powerful with the weapon everyone has to be this powerful". It's one of the weakest arguments that gets thrown around on these forums since forever.

"Hey everyone, the Magscatter is a supa-dupa wonderweapon because Hegeteuse made it work!". So what? If the average player can't make it work and the pro players can't dominate with it, there is no OPness to the weapon.
    • Up x 1
  19. Somentine

I don't know, why are instant TTK weapons that don't require headshots annoying? You are rewarded for being less accurate and are encouraged to aim for body shots instead of headshots. Most of the weaknesses are either covered by switching load outs temporarily, mobility or are just flat out not even there in a large percentage of bases where CQC is heavily prevalent.

It isn't that someone who uses shotguns can't be called good with them, even if they are trash with every other weapon, but that they are infuriating to deal with in many situations or a free kill in others and as such are considered pretty cheesy for some (many?) players.

Add in a sprinkle of clientside and you get some absurd kills while rounding corners while, as said, requiring less accuracy than most guns.
  20. Demigan

So if CQC weapons are better suited for most bases, why dont they have higher performance stats than other weapons? Why are the OP weapons almost invariably in the "good at most ranges" category rather than CQC? Also only the pump-action can OHK on a bodyshot and it need very CQC to work where angular velocity of targets is far higher and you still have to be picture-perfect with your shot.

A gross misinterpretation of shotguns. Especially in PS2 they require more skill as being slightly off-target will lower your DPS immensely so you need better aim than "hold trigger and look at enemy" weapons. Also shotguns require a lot more skill in the form of situational awareness, while most other weapons can easily be compensated by shooting skills and ample cover.

They require more and thats not how PS2 clientside works. Also in the event that someone else would round the corner instead of the shotgunner suddenly he's at a disadvantage, as pump-actions aside the shotguns barely keep up in a DPS race and still require picture-perfect shots while all other weapons can just be spray and prayed at shotgun ranges
    • Up x 1