Why do VS snipers suck

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by SGTWOLF68, Mar 13, 2013.

1. SGTWOLF68

I'm just stating a fact VS snipers suck, no offense but they do. Most of them just spray and pray with the semi auto no bullet drop sniper and the few that have skill. I praise you. In rank of snipers it comes somthing like this.
    1.NC
    2.TR
    5.VS
    Once again not tryin to offend anyone .and if you dont use ure semi auto sniperlike a long range assualt rifle I praise you.
  2. Kogmaw

I cant say much for my comrades, but i think it has something to do with the firing mechanic of the VS snipers (bolt-action, at least) I snipe here and there and am "meh", not good not bad. But then i jump on my NC/TR smurfs and get significantly better.
    I lead targets and at least land body shots

with my VS sniper i feel like there is a delay in fire that counter-acts to my playstyle that the TR/NC fulful better

just me though
  3. Korimer

I don't find that true on Matherson. I have died more to VS than TR snipers. Torokokill is a beast and always seems to find me.
    If you look him up on the players database he has 14,383 parallex kills with 11,777 of those as headshots. Has an additional 2,176 kills and 1,835 headshots with V10.
  4. SGTWOLF68

That's impressive.
  5. Caydn

I would say most if them are under 15 and have little patience
  6. Dr. Euthanasia

I'll have you know that I ditched that piece of crap semi-auto sniper upon the first double-SC deal, and even then only that late because I wanted the Manticore more than the 100-cert bolt action. I regularly outperform enemy Infiltrators on my server in every circumstance where I'm forced to compete against them, and I have no problem "sniping" in close quarters even with a 12x scope.

You're absolutely right that those of us who stick to the highly forgiving guns with no bullet drop make pretty awful snipers, but that's because they're the kind of people who chose that weapon to begin with. It shouldn't reflect upon the rest of us at all.
  7. SGTWOLF68

Then as I said above I praise you for not beng a horrible shot...but once again most VS snipers are horrid at their job and would be better off with a SMG.
  8. Anvildude

And that's why I bought the SMG instead of buying a bolt-action.

Though I think I'll stick with my semi-auto, at least until I can get a better computer- framerate really makes a difference in those sorts of long-range engagements, as does anti-aliasing and just the clarity of the models.
  9. SGTWOLF68

Agreed, one of the reasons I snipe is FPS. And pro tip aim for the head ;)
  10. KnT47r

I wouldn't say all VS snipers are bad. I'm pretty proud of my ~80% hs rate ;)
  11. Purple Pooka

I'd say that the main problem is that we start with a horrible gun that tries to convince us that it is a sniper rifle. Unless you start investigating things, you'll never know just how bad your starting weapon is as a VS. It's bad at sniping, bad at CQC, and generally bad at mid range.

Also the concept of bullet drop on a bolt action probably freaks some VS players out. We're used to having no bullet drop, so picking up a decent weapon that cancels out our faction's signature benefit does seem to be counter-intuitive. In reality, the bullet drop aspect is a great thing since it allows us to avoid a serious damage drop. However you have to understand the game mechanics to reach that conclussion, which PS2 is horrible at explaining since it has no tutorial or common knowledge section.

Newer players learn wrong, which means that they contine to play wrong. It's a viscious cycle.
  12. Chouheals

Depends on server, but on Connery VS snipers are better than TR and NC.

TBH though I think the majority of snipers are all crap, and only a handful are actually good on any given server... but then every sniper probably thinks they're better than everyone, and there isn't really a way to measure how good one snipes because there's too many variables to account for besides headshot/kill ratio.
  13. IshootRAW

My Briggs VS Sniper is 2.5 to 1 - I rock the Parallax 87% Headshots
  14. CaptPAG

I live with the fact that VS use lazers bolts and distance impacts effects the round, it would be different if VS were usesing bullets with dropoff at distance, this goes with all VS weapons, lazers just do not do damage a long range. I play 3 versions of a sniper , But lately I play VS LA with Nova shotgun 4x scope , with slugs, Damn this thing is evil , I just luv that I can filgh so high out the way, up where nobody sees me and snipe the other factions ;) .....in the back.......:D
  15. zaspacer

I love the VS starting sniper rifle (VA39 Spectre) w/ a Suppressor on it and default scope. It is a powerful and versatile tool if you play to its strengths. I use it like this:

When I started my VS Infiltrator I didn't really get how to play with the VA39 Spectre. I didn't use a Suppressor (a MUST), didn't know about head shots (double tap head for a VA39 Spectre), and didn't know about the Spectre's point blank hipfire shotgun ability. I also didn't know that holding <SHIFT> allowed me to steady my shot for a brief duration. It was a mess.

But on the advice of others, I switched to an XM98 (both 12x scope and 7x scope + Suppressor loadouts) and cut my teeth as a sniper. It wasn't until much later that I saw the above video and got the itch to try that kind of gameplay with the VA39 Spectre. But now that I am back on the VA39 Spectre with the right strategy and using a Suppressor I am loving it. Such a finesse weapon: use it right and it's deadly, use it wrong and it's garbage.

I've since made TR and NC characters, and I have tried the 99SV and Gauss SPR with them. Both fun guns in close to medium range and with more damage than the VA39 Spectre, but they don't have the point and click no-drop the Spectre has that gives it effectiveness at ALL ranges.
    • Up x 1
  16. Ztiller

Because you don't see the NC snipers who suck. They generally don't try to shoot at you.
  17. Chouheals

I used to like the VS/TR starter SASR's but after I learned to be effective with the BASR's I personally dislike the VA39 now. I mean tbh it's better for close range (under 50-100m) but anything farther than that it kinda sucks. Over long distances as targets get smaller it takes longer for the scope to readjust to headshot position (forward grip advantage I guess?)

My point is, if you could shoot them in the head twice in the first place, why not once and get it over with? Once you get proficient at getting headshots and quick scoping you can probably kill anything as soon as it stops moving 50m+.

The only real advantage that I like about SASR's is that moving targets are easier to hit multiple bodyshots with compared to a moving headshot. If they are close enough to hip shot with SASR's might as well use pistol or run up right behind them and bolt action + knife works...
  18. SgtBreastroker

There is your problem straight away. You prefer CQC. Snipers do not suit your playstyle.

I for one find the Bolt actions fantastic. All the semi autos are trash, regardless of which faction.
    • Up x 1
  19. Scorponok

i agree ive tried sniping with all 3...only big difference i feel is the way the weapons look and sound :p but lately ive seen so many bullet pass my head from snipers trying to kill me while i ress people in the field...at 1 point i ran around like the guy from the serpetine manouver :p etc...totally looping and not a shot hit hehe.And sometimes i even snipe at people with my Gauss Saw...it acually works but you need to hit multible times to kill a guy with full health..
  20. zaspacer

The TR and NC versions (99SV, Gauss SPR) are very limited. With Suppressor they start to see bullet drop outside of 60m, and after that it starts to drop off pretty fast the farther you get. Without the Suppressor they have the same bullet drop as the budget bolt actions: no bullet drop up to 160m, and gradual bullet drop the farther you get outside of that. But if you're not using a Suppressor, then it really limits closer range combat and in most cases you're better off using a Bolt Action. All this limits the operational usefulness of the 99SV and Gauss SPR.

In contrast, the VS version (VA39 Spectre) with a Suppressor has no bullet drop, at any range. This radically changes the overall operational usefulness of the weapon as you can engage enemy units at any range. Because it is point and click, you do not ever have to worry about rangefinding. This increases the guns operational use speed when you are facing multiple targets at different distances or frequently changing your distances to a specific target. I think it's quieter than the crack of the bolt actions, but you're firing more than one bullet and de-cloaked for longer so it's situational which is better there.

For the longer distances shots where you have calibrated the range (and there are no enemies close by to you), bolt action is the better choice for pure killing power. Especially when one or more snipers are targeting your area (or you are trying to remain concealed/unspotted and minimize time outside of cloak), and you want to take your shot and get moving/cloaked before they can target you. But the VA39 Spectre w/ Suppressor is still very useable at this range, especially if the goal is to harass (say clear an area by getting them to move or disrupting their aiming) rather than purely kill. In addition, because I most often run with the 6x scope on my VA39 Spectre, this also puts it at a severe disadvantage to my field Bolt Action (which I run with the 12x) when not near a terminal where I can swap scopes.

The closer and closer you get, especially distances 150m or so and closer, the VA39 Spectre w/ Suppressor starts to be a much better weapon than the bolt actions in a much wider spectrum of operational uses (the list is long and varied). Especially if you are running the bolt action without a Suppressor. Of note, I use the budget bolt action where the Suppressor really hurts the drop off at bigger ranges, so maybe the fastest bolt actions (RAMS .50M, Longshot, Parallax) work much better w/ Suppressor. If so, please let me know what their effective operational ranges are with the Suppressor.

Where the VA39 Spectre shines the most is in its versatility. If I am gonna be stuck using the same main weapon for multiple styles of engagements (in zerg, in small group, solo, long distance, close, attacking, defending, instant action on a base roof, infiltrating a base, etc.), I greatly prefer the VA39 Spectre. It's my favorite of the weapons to have as a default, just as Infiltrator is my favorite class to have as a default across random scenarios (like you'll get with IA) because of his survivability in more situations. When I have access to a Terminal/Sunderer or addressing a specific type of engagement (sniping at set long distance range, defending a base from a zerg, taking down a vehicle without a turret, etc.) then I will definitely swith out of the VA39 Spectre (or the Infiltrator class entirely) to better address that engagement.

Inside 150m, I am generally as proficient with 1x or 2x headshots, unless the target is really fidgety. But using a bolt action without a Suppressor at closer ranges typically compromises my location and really puts me on a short lifespan. I have used an XM98 with a Suppressor extensively at closer ranges (used to be my "go to" for a long while), but it suffers if you need to switch targets to longer ranges and it doesn't have the same close range uses a VA39 Spectre does.

At close range when the target is aware of you, the VA39 Spectre's hipfire is more effective than the Beamer. (I don't have a Manticore)

When at close range and the target is unaware of you, using a knife or weapon with a Suppressor is still ideal. Hipfire bolt action spread is very unreliable for the fire rate, and most scope loadouts really bug me trying to do aimed point black shots.