Why do heavy assaults take less damage from their own rockets?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by centurionvi, Jan 29, 2013.

1. centurionvi

Just curious. I'm getting a little annoyed at HA's who pop out of a doorway and gib me at point blank while they walk away scot free. Try it yourself. Fire next to a wall, fire at your feet, you'll only lose shields, but enemies take full damage and die in 1 shot.
  2. Naceo

The fact of the matter is, you can never direct hit yourself with your own rocket. You can be point blank from the impact zone but it still only counts as splash damage.
    • Up x 1
  3. ExarRazor

what naceo said

most of the damage a rocket deals is with direct hit damage. splash damage isnt too good

because you can never direct hit yourself with your own rockets, you cant kill yourself instantly with them
  4. Anubis77

It's because splash damage on rockets is ~1000, direct hit is ~1500. Since you can't shoot yourself, you only take 1000 damage, but if you hit someone with it point blank they take the full 1500. They don't walk away undamaged, but a smart heavy will use his nano shield as he fires and will come away only taking minor health damage (but all shields gone, easy target for others). It's an all or nothing move, and it's rare I see it being truly effective.

Oops they already beat me too it. Had this open and forgot to refresh.
  5. ent|ty

Probably only noobs do that, or guys that are actually afraid of you and get desperate.

Sure, they'll get you the first time, maybe the second.. after that you adjust.. let them fire and dodge.. then while they're fumbling to either reload or pull out their main gun, finish them. In other words, deal with it.

Now, for some of us who use rockets for things like armor and air that gets a bit too cocky and close, we don't want to waste our rockets on infantry.. every rocket counts.

So if you get one in the face from me, it was probably because I was planning to shove a rocket up a Magrider's ***, and you challenged me, and I have no time to switch weapons.