Why did you choose your empire?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Scarlit, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Thornefear

I chose the TR because I read the storyline for planetside 1 thinking it was the story line for planetside 2 and the TR were heroes just trying to get everyone home after martial law was VOTED IN. THe vanu were a cult, the nc were ******* mercenaries.

Now the nc are ******** who think getting paid to kill doesn't make them mercenaries... Vanu is still a cult. And TR is magically a fascist regime because.......reasons?

That's ok I play as everyone. At least the Vanu are encouraging when things go bad.
  2. PrivateAffairs

Oh that's right... because SOLDIERS NEVER GET PAID RIGHT?

Tell me the ethical difference between a government paying a soldier to fight or paying a mercenary to fight.
  3. Thornefear

No ethical difference or ideological difference

A soldier will fight for a cause without getting paid A merc won't

Mercenary contracts just tend to let you know when you are fighting for a business or corporation. You fight because you are funded

A soldier fights because they stand for something (country, belief, cause).

Furthermore soldiers don't get 'bonus checks" based on headcount. NC lore and voice still reflects this.
  4. BiggggBRIM

I picked the NC because of their description, "The New Conglomerate weaponry is built around hitting first, hitting the hardest and taking quite the beating in doing so." Combine that with heavy metal music at the intro and I thought, "Hell yeah! I get to be Tony Mandarich in SPACE!"

"Who the hell is Tony Mandarich?" - You

In 1989 he came out of Michigan State as a 6'6 330 lb offensive tackle that ran the 40 in 4.65 seconds and bench-pressed 225 pounds 39 times. He loved rock music, specifically Guns N Roses as he had a GNR tattoo and a dog named Axl. He once punched an Ohio State player in the chest at the coin-toss and told him, "You're gonna DIE today!" He went on the Letterman Show after he got drafted and told the world that he wanted to fight Mike Tyson because Green Bay refused to pay him a million dollars a year. At the time, no other lineman on either side of the ball was getting paid that amount. Green Bay paid him.

Anyways, I thought "Heavy metal, heavy guns, rebel attitude, New Conglomerate for me!" Unfortunately, I picked NC on Mattherson at the time and proceeded to get annihilated by the VS so I rolled TR on Watterson, but NC will always be my favorite.
  5. PrivateAffairs

This statement is false, and can easily be proven false. It is an absolute, so all I need to do is find one soldier who doesn't believe in the cause he is fighting for (I can find a few such Vietnam war vets and Iraq war vets). And I only need to find one mercenary who believes in the cause they are fighting for (I don't personally know any mercenaries). But I hear many testaments from Blackwater employees who despise the bureaucratic military mess in Iraq and who genuinely care about Iraqis and their country.

I would argue a mercenary is in a more ethical position than a soldier. A mercenary can pick and choose his contracts, but once a soldier is in the military he is committed to the whims of his superiors or will face non judicial punishment.

Governments are the biggest issuers of mercenary contracts. I'm not really sure about the Planetside 2 lore so are NC anarchists?

Again this is easily proven false. Millions of soldiers have been forcibly drafted by governments throughout the 20th century and earlier to fight for causes that they didn't believe in.

And lastly, not all NC are mercenaries.
  6. No_STG

Friend invited me in, he chose VS so I went VS too. He quit, but I stayed around and didn't switch because of how agitated people get with the VS.
  7. Nerazim

I picked TR because I always liked the idea of the Terran Dominion / Confederacy in Starcraft 2. A massive space faring organisation governing mankind with an iron fist.

Also, I wanted to play infiltrator because Ghosts in Starcraft are awesome. A cloaked assassin, taking out those pesky activists and terrorists without mercy.

[IMG]
  8. DFDelta

I have chosen Vanu in Planetside 1 because pewpew and aliens. Also purple.

I have no "chosen" faction in PS2 because all my online friends are spread around 4 (now 2) different servers and all 3 factions, so I play everything.
  9. Mastermind

I laugh at people who read lore for a first person shooter
  10. Saool

Ideology, political standpoint and lasers.
  11. patrykK1028

I chosed Vanu because I like technical advance.
  12. RIctavius

R.P..... just ..... R.P
  13. Bearlover

NC, because i think the NC female voice is cute. And to have this voice kill br100s in the face, then im fine with that *_*