Why can't I have multiple characters on one server?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Metallideth, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Metallideth

So if I'm in two outfits to change things up and they are both on the same server now I have to choose between them? I understand a lot of griefers would want to ruin the game for the opposing faction when they get their butt kicked, but a simple empire timer locking a player to an empire on that server would solve that.

Now if I want to take a break from VS and play TR/NC I can't play with/against people I know but have to create one on a different server that has outfits I don't like?? ಠ_ಠ
  2. Ocaml

If you do not need to have subscription (or other stuff) I suggest this:

1. Make another SoE account.
    2. Make TR/NC character on your server.
    3. Enjoy the game.
  3. Metallideth

Simple solution but still ಠ_ಠ guess SOE can through out unique # of accounts as a statistic mark. If that's what it will have to come down to, I know there will be a lot of others doing that
  4. Zolan

Spies

That's why
    • Up x 1
  5. Murmur

Spies seem kind of pointless the way the game is currently.

"Guys I'm going to switch over to my VS alt and see what they are up to"

3 minutes later.

"GUYS GUYS, VS IS ZERGING THE BASE THAT YOU ARE DEFENDING RIGHT NOW."
    • Up x 2
  6. daicon

I don't think alts on the same server is a big deal. The anti-griefing system seems really good and it might be fun to play against my friends occasionally.

If people are that hardcore about trying to cheat it they'll just make a different account right?
  7. Zolan

It's more of a problem for big outfits and platoon type coordination.

Example: I wonder what Azure Twilight is doing. Let me swap over to my VS character real quick and join the AT platoon and check it out. Same for any big platoon groups on a planet who generally move as a collective.

Of course someone could just make two accounts since this game is F2P, but it takes a while to log out and re-log into your character. You could also go full time and use Teamspeak with the opposite faction, but that would be terribly boring. If you could just swap from faction to faction (same server) on the log-out screen you could probably swap and pod down on the same location you were defending 30 seconds ago as the attacker.
  8. daicon

Like you said it doesn't stop anyone with two accounts and a real intent to "spy" even though I highly doubt it will be worthwhile to engage in that. Sounds like a huge waste of time.

I think SOE is just trying to instill some tribalism into its players and get them all excited and patriotic about their empire. That or maybe future additions and plans for the game could be affected by it.
  9. Helwyr

Just say NO to 4th Empire, roll the other Factions on different servers.
  10. St0mpy

Simple, just put in a time lock of say, 3 or 4 hours between swapping factions on the same server
  11. Phasics

two accounts beats that ;)
    • Up x 1
  12. renegadeknight

kind of agree with him. Anyway why can't you and your friends play on a different server with alts? Don't have to go to the ones you don't like, there are a few and you would probably find one to suit your fancy. Of course I doubt anyone will do such and just alt accounts anyway, but figured I suggest it nonetheless.
  13. St0mpy

Yes exactly! Anyone can sign up two accounts so why not let us switch with a time delay? Then only people who want to cheat the delay need to make multiple accounts.
  14. Phasics

explanation = it's SOE

I've found what they do makes more sense if you let go of concepts like "good sense" and "logic" ;)
  15. Isilith Tehroth

I think you should only be able to choose one faction per server, but have as many characters of that faction as you would like.If you delete all your characters then you could choose another faction. I would also suggest a cert cap as well.
  16. Akrasjel

17. Metallideth

It's lame if people are really doing that. Besides like you said if someone really wanted to mess with the big outfits they could just pop on their voice communications :rolleyes: Enclave and I'm sure players in other larger outfits stream their ops so it's not like they're hiding. Sadly, there will always be those that will feel the need to spy to get the upper hand, but who's to say they aren't doing it already with a 2nd account on a computer next to them.

It just makes it harder for those that want to legitimately play on the same server with a different empire.
  18. PharmD

Why? So you can have multiple names? So you can have different facial customizations? This is non-sensible. 99.9% of players will only ever have one character, save for others that are just throwaways meant for messing around.
  19. Vreki

The argument for one faction only is that a lot of people switch factions based on what is currently perceived as the best weapons.
    So to avoid this 4th faction from wrecking havoc with balance, switching sides is restricted.

But it is kind of silly when they can just create another account, so I am not sure that SOE has thought this through.
  20. Isilith Tehroth

The only reason a player would want to have another faction is for overpowered flavor of the month weapons or to grief the other faction via spying or tking.

Having a cert cap would benefit players wanting to have more than one character because the cert reset on ps1 was limited to 6 hours. So if someone wanted their awesome Galaxy driver they could just switch characters.