[Suggestion] Why aren't all vehicles in PS2 more like this

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Thesweet, May 4, 2014.

1. Thesweet

• I had always hoped PS2 would have more fun weapons in it rather than the standard guns you find in most games. This these are vid of things that would be awesome to have in a game. Also I don't care about a balanced game, I prefer fun ones with heaps of awesome stuff in it.

http://www.military.com/video/opera...aser-guided-live-fire-exercise/2088409735001/

• I think vehicles should be more about supporting infantry rather than be there to farm them. I think these changes would make a much more exciting game with more teamwork and options for squad and platoon leaders together than waypoints.
    • Air should have much less armour and HP, they should be more like a glass cannon with much much more firepower. So they dont turn into farming machines they should very inaccurate. To make Air usefull to a fight they should have ground targeting support. This can be done in a number of ways, infil laser, squad and platoon leader command console, tank commander command console that uses a drone to designate.
    • MBT should have much more, HP and resilience against all arms. They are there to give infantry cover to advance and to counter enemy armour. They should be effective in open ground but their turrets should only have a maximum rotation of 60 degrees on either side of the forward facing reference point. this and a slower rotating turret limits their ability to fight in close spaces. Their weapons should be excellent at medium to longer ranges but useless up close.
    • These changes would make the game much more fun with diversity and tactical options. It encourages greater teamwork and give leaders a reason to be a leader. squad and platoon leaders should have access to more powerful weapons. Platoon commanders could be the only ones with access to carpet bombs where as squad leaders could be restricted to a single jdam or something like an A10 tankbuster run whereas infils may only get access to lightning tank with a mortar barrage. These weapons will have to have a limited range due to rending issues but the target assist allows aircraft to duck in and out much faster.
    • After a target has been marked, either by device or on a command console map and the ordinance selected, then a mission is given to near by available aircraft with that ordinance. They can then accept or decline the mission.
    • lightnings could have more light support weapons, the skygard gets boring after awhile. turning it into a missile system to lock on to aircraft would allow it to deploy hydraulics and allow it to do a rocket mortar barrage.
    • More open maps with more space for tank battles, then make the larger bases even more urban for infantry with 6 outer bases rather than 3. make it into more like a city. vehicles only enter at their own peril.
    • Counters against air mortar strikes should be made so it can be avoided and so it doesn't become a snipe fest.
    • Up x 1
  2. Verviedi

Planetside 2 is not infantryside2. It is a mechanized game with infantry combat tacked on for punishment on those who lost their vehicle. Under no circumstances should infantry EVER be more effective than vehicles and air. Air is fine as it is (except for libs).
  3. Pathogenic

Is your Forumside KDR your ratio of troll successes to troll attempts?
    • Up x 1
  4. Verviedi

It's Posts/Likes. Nobody is that successful, and I wasn't trolling.
  5. Goden

This is a game and a game is made to be fun and enjoyable. Infantry is the unit that VAST MAJORITY (by far) of the player-base plays at any given time. If the infantry is made so weak and irrelevant that it is not enjoyable or it is just a cert piñata for vehicles then people are going to leave and will play something else.

This is a game and people play it to have fun. You can't pick favorites or give absolute power to any certain thing.
  6. vanu123

Tanks and Air can't be good because this is infantry-side2. We have two options: significantly increase the strength and firepower of vehicles and keep the current resource cost. Or drop the resource cost.
  7. Ripshaft

Well to put it quick and easy, because it's not fun. Your inspiration comes from our rl warfare environment - and its not designed to be fun, fair or competitive, the idea driving the design of military tech is to be as UNFAIR as possible - you want to win, you dont want a fair fight, you dont want to risk losing people if at all possible. You also dont care about how people feel - well you do, but only in that you want to demoalize them, you want the enemy to lose their will to fight.

The proposed systems are all explicitly non competitive and more importantly non accessible - this is a free to play game - people need to play it because it's fun, or it simply cannot function as a game.
    • Up x 1
  8. Thesweet

This would make vehicles and air more dependent on infantry and take on a support role. It would make intel more important along with squalid and platoon leaders. I think they could even bring back command rank if they changed to use my ideas. There would be more teamwork and dynamics rather than the constant Zerg.
  9. Thesweet

It would be fair if all sides got the same gear. Bf2/desert combat was unbalanced with air vs ground but everyone still loved it.