Why are there so many instadeath weapons in this game?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Captain Kid, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Captain Kid

I don't remember Planetside 1 having this.
    Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam also didn't have it so much.

There are plenty of fast deaths already with the crowded bases and poor server performance I don't quite get the reasoning to confound these things with so much instantkill weapons.

I'm curious; is this how a modern shooter works these days? Do the new Battlefields and Call of Duties also have this? (I don't play those games after having played Planetside 1)

Edit
    I'm talking about the instakill weapons like C4, AI maxes, Reaver shotguns, etc. Not regular weapons like carbines, LMG's etc.
  2. Reclaimer77

Not sure if serious....
    • Up x 3
  3. AlterEgo

I'd rather kill quick and die fast than have my enemies take a whole plasma shot to the face whilst slowly killing me with a chaingun.
    • Up x 1
  4. LibertyRevolution

TTK on BF3 is like half of what it is on planetside2...
    Killing people in this feels like it takes forever after a session of Caspian Border.
    • Up x 2
  5. Captain Kid

I'm not talking about regular weapon fire. I'm talking about instantkill weapons like AI maxes, reaver shotguns, C4, Sniper headshots, tank shells, etc. etc.
  6. z1967

Average TTK for automatics in PS2 is around the .5 to .6 range. Shotguns kill in 1-3 shots, and thus don't abide by the normal TTK rules, so they have TTKs ranging from instant (at close range with either a PA or a headshot) to .8 seconds (assuming good spread and accuracy).

The few OHK infantry weapons have severe downsides like extreme range or slow refire times, which makes them a non-issue and generally a bad loadout choice.

MAX OHKs are either in the form of Falcons (high skill) or shotgun arms (not so high skill). Nobody else has the OHK capability of NC MAXes (however they have reduced versatility with these types of loadouts, to be fair).

Vehicle OHKs are more or less out of "well no **** sherlock, you died because you got hit with a tank round" sort of thing. Generally they are not as easy to pull off as they appear to the outside observer, but it is situational and generally an unintended purpose for the weapon.
  7. qquqq

Iv said before, the instant kill isnt whats annoying, its the fact that other forms take too long to kill that contrast them so much,
  8. ColonelChingles

TTK in BF3 and 4 is extremely low. Arguably TTK in PS2 is a bit higher I think.

For example, in BF4 the HK416 has a point-blank TTK of 323 milliseconds. Whereas an equivalent weapon in PS2, the T1 Cycler, has a TTK of about 480 milliseconds.

Both games will have their OHK options, but I think PS2 is still a bit more forgiving in this sense. At least there aren't rezz 'nades in BF4!

In general though TTKs are going down, at least that's what I observe in this latest generation of games. Certainly compared to PS1, PS2 has a very low TTK.

Or you might just be getting old. :p I know I am. :oops:
    • Up x 1
  9. LibertyRevolution

I have seen videos of planetside1 where 2 guys are standing in an open field just shooting at each other forever..
    There is no way that would work with today's gamers...
    • Up x 2
  10. Captain Kid

Nah I'm still as slow as I ever was. That's why I usually play support. It just these instakill weapons are getting on my nerves. In Battlefield 1942 the only instantdeath threat was from snipers (I can avoid tanks). In Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory it was the occasional grenade and artillery. In this game there are so many I was wondering why that was.

I have no problems with the "normal" weapons. Except the smg and shotguns and there is a reason they were not in the game from the start.
  11. BlueSkies

PS1 had Boomers (C4), Jackhammer Triple Shot at point blank range, Sniper OHK (if you stood near a spitfire and the sniper shot the spitfire, you died), and obviously getting an MBT shell to the chest tended to kill you.
  12. MahouFairy

Because it's a war going on, not a pillow fight. And war is brutal. Explosives are meant to kill not put off a fireworks display. People obviously die if a tank shell hits them, but I'm not sure why sniper rifles can have OHK on the head. Because other weapons can't. Maybe they should give other weapons the same headshot multiplier?

Rocket launchers have such pathetic splash. This game is already meek and mild enough if you ask me.
  13. Jachim

I suspect you're just salty from dy ing more in PS2. Its much harder to go on 25+kill streaks in a 48x48 battle at one base on the map than it is to go on 25+ killstreaks in BF due to much larger spread for those 48 x 48 people.
  14. I AM WARZONED BY SOE

SOE tries to make their game realistic i guess... C4s are explosive and can deal alot of damage. Shotguns to the face is usually a kill. bolt action snipers to the head is usually a kill too...

BASICALLY ALL THE EXPENSIVE GUNS ARE GOOD
    (unless u MLG pro and know how to use noob guns like me =P)
  15. Peebuddy

Wear flack armor and about half the insta-gib stuff in this game goes away