Why are Hornet Missiles...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jeslis, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Lamat

It will overload the system and break the Internet.

Is that what you want?
  2. GhostAvatar

Well, if you was around at the time they actually made it so you could buy NS weapons cross faction with a single SC purchase. You will remember it took them about a month to be able to code this simple thing into the game in the first place. They also stated at the time that the system couldn't handle multiple weapon IDs without a lot of hard work and code change. Now the code change thing we have to take there word on. As for the weapon IDs being different per faction. That is a know fact to be true as those amongst the community have decompiled the code and made it available. Hell, there is even a handy little app out there that will extract all the weapon data from the current build for you, if you really want to check.

They also said at the time that they still wanted to make the system handle multiple IDs as well, but that was not a high priority. that is something i have to agree with them on. there is more pressing issues like fixing the population imbalance instead of encouraging further.

The only thing that is in question is how easy or hard it would take to actually make this happen in the code. Even as a easy fix I would still say it is a less pressing matter than others. And thats coming from someone would actually benefit from it (I got 10k cert refund last time, without the faction specific stuff that I bought).
  3. Robes

Bundles.
  4. Jeslis

Im just extremely hesitant to purchase anything that is REMOTELY the same as its cross faction equivalent any more. Rocketpods are at least different in their cross-factionality.. so I didn't argue there.. but these .. Hornets? are the same for all 3.. if I'm gonna give you 7 bucks for a virtual item, yes, I should get it for all 3 factions.
  5. Diodeone

Watch for a refund of certs for the other empires you bought them for. Why? Because history has a way of repeating itself.
  6. vincent-

I don't mind the 4th faction restriction, I would have said different a year ago but after what these *** hats do on a constant basis around alerts and balance passes I have only contempt for them! I don't want too see any future weapon unlocked for all the factions no more lazy free passes for these pricks.

Traitors all of them are just bloody traitors looking for an easy win.
  7. Goden

So you have to buy them multiple times and SOE gets more dosh.

Isn't that pretty obvious? There are countless items that are shared cross-faction and yet you have to buy them multiple times. There are even some items that are shared WITHIN YOUR OWN FACTION and you have to buy them multiple times. (Which is funny because SOE said cross-faction support would be cover almost all items back when they announced it during beta).
  8. ShureShot

Wait, do you actually believe that? Like really?

Think about hood ornaments. You buy one on a flash, and it unlocks for all vehicles, and for all empires. How many different ID's is that? 12 (4 vehicles, 3 factions). Including MBT's. Yeah, I'd say the system can handle 3 ID's perfectly fine.

Or think about camo's. A TR soldier looks different from a VS or an NC soldier. It would be a lot 'harder' to make camo's work acros factions. But it isn't, you buy one, you get 18 ID's (6 classes, 3 factions). Or even better, weapon camo's. How many different weapons are there? Still, your one camo fits on all of them, on all factions. Same for vehicle camo's. The ID system is a lot more advanced than you think.

So even if the coding would be as limited as you suggest, and as hard to change as you think, it's not even a coding issue. All it requires is a simple database fix. Because guess what, purchases are database-related, it doesn't have anything to do with ingame coding or mounting points ;)
  9. DeadlyShoe

It's very believable. The system was built from the ground up for shareable cosmetic items. Account-wide weapons were hacked in later and there's a world of difference between the two scenarios.