Why and how the PPA is overpowered to heck and back

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MisterBond, Sep 3, 2014.

1. MisterBond

Lets look into why the PPA is overpowered just vs. the other factions weapons

NC has Canister, which has maybe a killing range of 50-70m which isn't that great, but it kills incredibly fast when used in specific situations, but this is not what we're comparing the PPA to.

Today, we are comparing the PPA to the Marauder.

The Marauder has 10 shots, its shots fly 175m/s which gives it a range at best of 100meters and does theoretically of 3340 splash damage per magazine if all its shots land within a meter of its targets.

I have zero problems facing off against this weapon, it asks the gunner to use the weapon that fires in a massive arc which makes it hard for it to accurately hit its target, a good marauder gunner can maybe get 2-3 kills per magazine on average against a group of enemies.

Now, we dwell into the PPA. The PPA is hilarious in that its splash damage is actually higher than its direct hit damage which makes zero sense which is like trying to say laying on a grenade will hurt you less than standing three feet from a grenade.

But wait, there's more! The PPA gets 20 shots per magazine, has a muzzle velocity of 300m/s and has no drop, meaning the gunner can perch himself 300meters away from their target and pummel the enemy forces with incredible accuracy, and when you put him into the 100meter range like a Marauder needs to kill at, its 300m/s velocity and no bullet drop turns it into a nightmare for enemy forces.

But the biggest kicker is because of its 20 shots a magazine, the PPA gets 6000 damage per magazine, meaning a skilled PPA gunner can kill 5-8 people per magazine easily.

"Oh but the PPA fires slower!" you say? Well lets look at the math behind that shall we?

The Marauder fires all 10 of its rounds in 3.5 seconds, and then takes 3 seconds to reload. Meaning over 60 seconds a marauder can fire around 90 rounds per minute, the PPA on the other hand fires 20 rounds in 8 seconds and then 4 seconds reload, which means on average it fires 100 rounds per minute.

So not only does it do more splash damage per magazine, its shots travel faster and no bullet drop and over time its even firing more shots per minute than the Marauder.

This gentlemen is why the PPA is unbalanced, given the PPA has no bullet drop the shots coming from it should be like a shooting fricken shock cores from a shock rifle and traveling like 20m/s at the most, and that still doesn't address the fact its still doing that great a damage per minute and able to do it from halfway across a hex.

There Higgles, I did most of the work for you showing you how its overpowered, now come up with fixes.
    • Up x 18
  2. XenoxusPrime

The PPA already got nerfed and also there is no need for more nerfs, especially for vehicular weaponry considering tanks are already cert pinatas for infantry. Why not ask for buffs to the Canister and Marauder instead of yet another SOE uber nerf?
    • Up x 15
  3. gigastar

Marauder is to be retooled as the TR AV secondary.

So look forward to the Vulcan being alot more like the Banshee.
    • Up x 8
  4. minhalexus

Canister and Marauder/Vulcan are to buffed in the future according to Higby Pls.

No need to nerf now.
    • Up x 1
  5. Ztiller

The Prowler HE does everything the PPA does and better.

But when you're nerfing the PPA, don't forget to throw in a nerf to the ScatMAX and Banshee aswell.
    • Up x 9
  6. a-koo-chee-moya

Just because its better than the Maruader and Canister, which are both horrible, does not make the PPA OP.
    • Up x 3
  7. Nexus545

No but in combination with the Magriders ability to get into places no other tank can it is. The Magriders mobility is okay and the PPA is okay but together they are bad.
    • Up x 3
  8. MisterBond

>Scatmax needs even more nerfs

You'll never be happy till its firing wet noodles at the other factions. Give NC MAX's dual gauss saws, then you can nerf its shotties all you want

Oh yeah, the Supernova VPC is also the highest KPM HE tank round in the game to boot, so you have not only that but also the PPA.

Balanced?
    • Up x 7
  9. MisterBond

>Just cause its better than these weapons does not make it op
    >Better than the other two weapons
    >Not op

• Up x 4
  10. Champagon

No just NO OP Seriously PPA just got a nerf dude, this is another cherry picked "nerf what killed me" thread

If you wanna nerf something nerf the enforcer. Or the vulcan. Jumped to 8:25 in the video to see what i mean

• Up x 3
  11. Bujias

Look the same guy that call the striker revamp OP without even triying it. Im not surprised he came back to talk about the PPA, man i haven't seen one of thise sense they nerf it.

PPA is fine, it was already nerfed.
    • Up x 5
  12. Ztiller

Yep. And if you rate all MAX AI weapons based on highest KPH, the top 5 are all NC weapons. So according to your logic, arguments and reasoning, the NC MAX should get nerfed :)
    • Up x 1
  13. Maljas23

Higby already said that the PPA is getting some reworks soon. Source is his last "Higby pls" livestream.

He basically said that it takes no skill to use it, and that the skill ceiling and floor are pretty much right next to each other. Thus, he stated that it will be getting changed.
    • Up x 7
  14. MisterBond

Funny is your extremely cherry picked example of enforcer is no indicative of normal play, its indicative of being lucky.

And like Maljas23 said, even Higgles said the PPA is still to strong and is getting nerfs, and the stats reflect that in that the PPA still murders tons of people with no effort
  15. Gabriell

where did you see this?
  16. MisterBond

I still want dual gauss saws, the only place a NC Max AI weapon is good at is nearly point blank range
    • Up x 2
  17. Champagon

You can say the same about the PPA, we are just getting lucky ;)

Cherry. Picked. Stats.
  18. Ztiller

Doesn't matter. We are talking about nerfs here, are we not? You want to nerf the PPA, and under the exact same credentiaals as you argument inn favor of the PPA nerf, i can argument in favor of the NC MAX nerfs. THe PPA is only good againt infantry, and the NC MAX is only good in CQC. That doesn't mean they are not both OP, right?
  19. gigastar

I wish i could dig it up, but sifting through the PS2 tracker takes too long and i dont want to bother scanning through every idle thought on Higgles personal twitter for perhaps the 2 or 3 relevant messages that were weeks ago now.
  20. AdmiralArcher

wait......you are comparing a main cannon to a secondary for what reason?

the PPA isnt going to get nerfed...probably only a CoF change......they havnt been able to make explosive damage drop off with range yet......but once they do, the PPA will get nerfed