Which Processor

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Makwa, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Makwa

I am assuming that of course more means better in terms of GHz

But there are things I just dont understand about processors so I am asking which is better to use.

i5 Core with 3.10 GHz

or

i7 Core with 2.67 GHz
  2. Mezinov

In most instances, for gaming, the difference between an i7 and an i5 are minimal - making the i5 the better deal.

It varies between different generations, but generally i7 processors just have "more". Either more cores (you can get 6 core i7s) or more L2 and/or L3 cache. The cache is nice to have because it, essentially, boils down to less time your computer spends talking to the hard drive - which is generally your slowest component.

More specifics would be required to provide the best information (such as specifically what i5 and what i7)... but...

For Planetside 2, the i5 with the higher clock speed (GHz) will be the better choice if it is a quad core. Planetside 2 uses, at most, four cores - which the i7 would either match, or exceed but be unable to use. At this point it comes down to which handles the work faster, and 3.1 is bigger than 2.67.
    • Up x 3
  3. Smagjus

An i5 as k Version and a Board you can overclock with. Planetside profits like no other game from overclocking.
  4. Makwa

Ok so from the sounds of it I am keeping my i5 machine. But does anyone see an issue with a Intel Core i7 920, 10G Ram, nVidia GeForce 9800 GT running the game at low levels well? If there is any other information you need I have a list in front of me

FYI the i5 is 12G Ram, nVidia 640
  5. BlackDove

Both GPUs are garbage and you dont specify which generation the i5 is so its impossible to answer.
  6. Makwa

From this discussion I am keeping the i5 machine. I get a steady 60fps out of it. I figured out they weren't the greatest when I salvaged the towers from work and craigslist. Thing is I just told my brother he could have which ever of the towers I dont want for a large Buffalo Chicken pizza. He plays PS2. Am I going to have this 300 pound gorilla pounding on my door looking to kick my ***?
  7. ironeddie

a 9800GT is a bit old isn't it? though despite that shouldn't both those specs be able to run the game on high? With a good frame rate.
  8. BlackDove

Idk what that means but which generation is the i5? The i7-920 is old but still decent.
    • Up x 1
  9. BlackDove

Doubtful. Both are likely using ancient DDR2 based GDDR3 and have very low memory bandwidth.
  10. Makwa

I just dont want to get beat up if my brother gets the i7 is what that meant.

Thats right! I am 36 and afraid of getting my **** whipped by my little brother. No shame in that is there?
  11. Makwa

The i5 wont run on high I can confirm that. I get pretty 'ok' out of medium
  12. Mezinov

The weakest point in both machines will be the GPU. The 9800 would have been a mid to high level Nvidia card several years ago; now it is the tail end of minimum requirement for most games. The 640 isn't in much better shape; the 600 series is a generation (almost two) old in the Nvidia playbook and the 640 would have been middle of the road for the card line, and not even part of the ones "really" meant for gaming (that would start at the 650).

However, GPU's are quick and easy to swap out - and if you aren't shooting for top-of-the-line, cheap too. The i7 won't preform as well as the i5 in PS2, but it will run it.
  13. Smagjus

Btw this feature does not work as intended. On my machine and on many others it will show CPU although the GPU is obviously limiting.

And regarding the 9800 series. It is actually unplayable. Even though you keep ALL settings as low as possible you will not be able to maintain 25FPS in big fights so you have to avoid them. If you like ghost capping then sure, this is the way to go.
  14. Irathi

About the alt+f, really? - what do you base this on?

to OP;

I think actually the GT 9800 has about the same or better performance than a GT 640. Look at these two tests and compare it to HD 5770.

The HD 5770 is 48% faster than a GT 640
    The HD 5770 is 32% faster than a GT 9800

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GT_640/28.html
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/HD_5770/30.html
  15. BlackDove

The graphics detail settings have virtually no effect on performance because none of them change the 2D elements of the game.
  16. Smagjus

Simple as that: It shows that I am CPU limited with an i7-4930k @4.1GHz and an 8600GT. In fact it always shows that I am CPU limited. With an HD 5770 it does it aswell. But when I overclock/downclock the GPU or its memory, the FPS scale with the clock change.

On my system they have. A render quality change of just 10% gives me about 5 more FPS in a situation where I am down to 35.

On the HD5770 @waprgate I can have 48-60FPS with ultra textures or 52-60FPS with low.

The graphics quality settings low and high differ by 5FPS in average. (not @warpgate)

The biggest impact have shadows. But I can't recall the exact values. If everything works out I will be releasing a set of data regaring FPS. I am not done preparing yet. http://imgur.com/aVvbNtS
  17. Irathi

So the metre says [CPU] all the time you play? - with a 8600GT or HD5770 that is strange indeed
  18. Smagjus

Exactly, about 95% of the time it does - sometimes [GPU] shows up for a frame but mostly when I just activated the display. Maybe we got all wrong and it says what is not limiting :D

But seriously, the only time I saw [GPU] from time to time was back when I had my GTX 670. This was mostly the case when I was at 70FPS or higher especially at the warpgate. This would be reasonable but the experiences I made with the GT 8600, HD 5770 and also a GTS 8800 (which I had for a much shorter amount of time) are very strange.
  19. Irathi

haha, maybe it is running of your built in GPU on the CPU. Then it says that you are CPU bound because of the built in GPU can't keep up?
  20. Smagjus

That would be possible but the i7-4930k doesn't have an iGPU :p