Which launcher should i get?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Unnoan, Jan 8, 2013.

1. HerpTheDerp

Actually the Annihilator does 1150 damage.

The rocket speeds are(in m/s):
    Decimator: 60
    Default dumbfire: 115
    G2G & G2A: 40
    Annihilator: 50

If you run in an outfit, you will probably want the Annihilator, because 5-6 HAs firing Annihilators will destroy anything anyway, you don't miss, and are equally effective against air and ground.

If you are VS you don't have to deal with strafing Magriders, so G2A might be a good idea. Yeah I know it doesn't work 80% of the time, but they said they're fixing it in the next big patch.

Everyone else should probably get G2G or G2A and C4.
  2. Palor

I have 2 HA builds I use on a regular basis. 1 with the Decimator and 1 with the Annihilator. It works great when the enemy armor is in close I pull out the Decimator for some increased damage when the armor is further away I grab the Annihilator. If you are only buying 1 I would probably go with the Decimator. It is more of a dire circumstances weapon where enemy armor is in close and just wreaking havoc. Takes a bit of practice with no lock on and slower velocity but it really packs a punch when you hit with it.
  3. TheEvilBlight

My three HA builds start with different weapons. One starts with my Pulsar LSW, the other the Lasher, the other a Nova (but I don't really use it). I start with the Annihilator just to be versatile against all threats, then run back to the Sundy and Pull G2G/G2A if required. If I see Libs, I pull the G2A. If I see heavy armor, I pull G2G. Otherwise if I don't have time, I can still fight with the Annihilator without dumbfire. If I'm assaulting into a base, then I choose dumbfire.
  4. Unnoan

I just said screw it and bought the annihilator. I would be happy if the hit indicators work even with the lower damage. If they fix the the lock-on rocket launchers I feel the Heavy class will be used a lot more.
  5. Cyridius

Annhilator is worth a buy. It's good in group play, it's sub-par solo but it locks onto everything and will let you pick off targets.

DON'T BUY THE DECIMATOR. The ML-7(Or faction equivelent default) has less damage, but it'll still kill a tank in 2 rear hits the same as a Deci. It also holds more ammo and has higher projectile velocity.

TL;DR Decimator is biggest waste of money ever.

Also don't buy the G2A exclusive one.

The G2G Lock on launcher is also good to buy.

As a HA though, you should know that sometimes the default dumbfire one is better in a good few situations compared to the lock on launchers.
  6. TheEvilBlight

If you can get good at putting static rounds on point targets, they're great for doors (but to me, the Lasher can do that too).

Not sold on the Deci just yet, especially since the starter weapon isn't too shabby.
  7. 13lackCats

I use the Annihilator.

For me, I enjoy being able to provide support against both Armor and Air.
  8. MaxDamage

I use the default dumbfure RL for tanks mostly, during fights where they enter the courtyard or it's possible to flank on foot.

At range, the lock-on faction specific ones are solid.

Not tried Anni or Deci and don't feel I need to.
  9. Frosty The Pyro

has to be faster than that, i regularly fire at targets around 300m, you get the hit indicator about half way through the reload, at 40 m/s it would take 7.5 seconds to reach the target, and it definatly doesnt take that long.
  10. HerbertKnivez

This is not true, period. I hit %70 of the time.
  11. Armchair

I received the G2A launcher as part of the AA bundle, and I've been satisfied with it all around.

True, it is not very effective at swatting planes out of this sky, at least it lets you do SOMETHING against them. While I feel that an HA rocket launcher should definitely be more on the "deterrent" side of the spectrum than lethal, this is too weak. A projectile speed boost against locked targets would be a nice buff IMO. Flying in a straight line should not be an acceptable evasive maneuver against SAM fire.

Against tanks, I haven't noticed too big of a difference compared to the stock launcher. It is slower, but not terribly so. The projectile has a severe drop rate, but you can compensate for that with practice. Against rear armor, I felt as lethal against tanks as I did with the stock. Against side armor, I still feel like a threat.

The main situation where I feel that it is significantly worse is against MAXes. It is significantly less effective against them.
  12. Playful Pony

I'm having fun with the Devastator. Can't tell you it's the best one, cause I don't know if it is =p. I guess it really depends on how you want to use it, what kind of situation.
  13. Deschain

Save your CP and stick with the default one, rest of em are rubbish.
  14. Asterz

To OP:I have bought and have used (tested if you like) all of them. Buy the Decimator if you must buy a Launcher but the default is the best for everything you need to do, including hitting fly boys up close (its faster than the Deci). Having said that I almost exclusively use the Deci, I do occasionally use the AtA (Hawk?) in a pack of friends (Max preferred) with AtA but it's the only time. Lock rockets hit detection currently seems very ropey to. The one that locks on to everything doesn't do enough damage IMO to be worth much, the Crow or whatever the locking GtG one is called is alright from a distance in a pack of AG, good for kill stealing on armour etc if you can learn to time them correctly. I know I haven't but it feels like I have missed one. Anyway learn to dumb fire them and gauge enemy armour pulling back with the default and spend the certs/SC on other things first is my best advice, unless you have tons of SC, like I did, once. :(

Edit: Also before I forget. And hopefully someone more knowledgeable about the game mechanics on here can confirm or deny this but it seems like tanks have soft spots. They did in Battle Field and I essentially came from that to this game so I dunno if PS2 has it but I just assumed so., Anyway I try to aim my rockets at prowlers turret joint and it seems to me that I kill them faster when I do hit them there. There is also a spot to the rear of the underside of Magriders I try to go for. Anyway not sure if its my imagination or not (that it does more dmg) but it can only be done with dumbfires.
  15. Longest Silence

The Saturday morning patch fixed the issues with missiles not dealing damage on contact. In addition it appears the missiles have regained their old agility; I've already seen a few missiles do very aggressive turns to maintain lock, or simply better correct to strike ESFs flying towards the missile.

I'd say the AA launchers are again a worthwhile launcher to carry as an HA.
  16. Takoita

I've trialed G2G launcher today after the patch.

The rate of no-damage missiles is about the same as with the default one, though one of the updates by the end of the year made it happen far less and my missiles can actually deal damage after my death if manage to fire them off accurately before dying!

Target acquisition is a bit wonky. I understand that the 'sticky square' was made that way to lock-on easier, but when you try to pick out one particular tank out of a group sitting all bunched up, it jumps around randomly and lengthens the preparation time while giving every driver in that group a warning at the same time. Also stupid friendlies running in front of your sights reset the whole process...

Missiles do correct their trajectory to compensate for target's movement, yes, but I've seen a sundy outrunning them a couple of times. Wasn't a sleigh-sliding down a steep slope either - the sundbus was simply flooring it while driving downhill on the road west of Ti Alloys (the one that goes under the bridge to Hydroponics). I was about ~250 m out on the western slope, noticeably higher, shooting at the side from almost 90 degree angle.

Considering the amount of flak this thing gets on these forums, I was pleasantly surprised.
  17. Bloodlet

I agree.
  18. Vertabrae

Quick question here. I have the Annilator or what ever it's called, the one that locks onto both air and ground. Thinking about getting a AV one for another character. Does the Anni lock on and hit at longer ranges than the AV one? Or do they have the same range?
  19. Takoita

Don't know about annihilator, but my AV lock-on launcher can reliably hit and kill vehicles at ~350m distance. I simply haven't tried shooting at longer distances.
  20. Tenmar

If alone: Either the lock on ground or lock on air rocket launcher. Chances are you will be better served with the ground but it really depends on preference.

If everyone in the squad has the same launcher: Annihilator. Now wait before people go all crazy on me for how terrible Annihilator is. Yes, alone it is terrible. However, when put with an entire squad or platoon rocking the annihilator in a pinch your platoon or squad basically wrecks enemy air and ground with little to no effort. A couple of engineers and your squad will never run out of rockets and will send any enemy team running.

However the odds of getting everyone to buy the annihilator with this grind is very slim. But when it happens, ohh man look out.