[Vehicle] Where can I find ESF duels?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Stack0verflow, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Stack0verflow

I'm a relatively new pilot (5 days in the air) and though I can do all the manouvers, lead my shots,etc etc etc, but i need to get some duel time in so that I can really compete.

Any advice as to where I can find people to duel?

Ofc, If you're in emerald, look me up (Stack0verflow)

Cheers.
  2. TheRealNattyIcePS4

Add people in prey
  3. Demigan

Here's what you do:
    Get a coach, and learn the Reverse Maneuver as well as Hover fighting.
    Then practice this in a boring, clean environment somewhere till you can't stand it anymore.
    Then once you can stand it again repeat it.
    Then you might be ready for your first duels against other dedicated A2A players.

As for finding duels. Just fly around. Best bet is get between the Warpgate/nearest enemy aircraft spawn and a fight. That way you are found/find some enemies that are moving towards it and you can duel them.
  4. cobaltlightning

Just a word of warning: Don't be surprised if you start taking damage from some sort of Flak during your duel, or your opponent starts taking flak. Good chance it might be me in my Skyguard.

Hate all you want, but a fair fight in any FPS games is usually a losing fight.
  5. Haquim

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics SUCK"
    John Steinbeck I think
    • Up x 1
  6. SoljVS

Usually you can convo any other decent pilots you see and they will be happy to see you are looking to get in the air game and give you tips pointers maybe even some training. I fly on Emerald myself SoljTR is the name.

Skyguards are usually low iq vultures who wish they could muster the air game but can't so they sit on the ground trying to be pests to the one thing they wish they could do. Usually have horrible kdrs for their efforts.
  7. Stack0verflow

While I appreciate your response, do you even fly? Going to an enemy warpgate is a waste of time. You'll never find a 1v1, and if you do, he'll run back to the warpgate unless the battle goes in his favour. Also, like i said, I can do the manouvers as one would hope so after 120 hours in the air. Again, I'm looking for dueling partners so that I can compete against those that do the same.

I've spoken with quite a lot of prey guys, and most of them seem pretty helpful, but I haven't dueled any of them yet. I've seen you around, Soji - i'll add ya :)
  8. Imp C Bravo

That's not true. I <3 my skyguard and look forward to using it every chance I get -- but I'm one of the top Lib pilots on my server. Flak is fun!
  9. SoljVS

Ignore that Demigan guy he's pretty salty about reversing. I don't know what it is about it that he can't wrap his head around but he refuses to learn the concept, even though he says hes an avid pilot in other games. I am as well BF4 for instance: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/soldier/Battle_Approved/stats/363310733/pc/

Its why he always goes out of his way to reference the RM even though it does little to sway the fight. I think he wants there to be aerial maneuvers or something he can pull but that doesn't really work when your opponent can just hover and watch you flail in circles and shoot you.
  10. AxiomInsanity87

Some really really nice pilots might farm you to boost stats under the guise of training ;)

But in all seriousness they're extremely friendly in general and will help you.
  11. Moridin6

more people should pull skyguards, emerald vanu dont seem to get the concept of not being ***** by libs, and i love driving a maggy alll the way up from the warpgate to get daltoned because no one had the gumption to do some dedicated aa..
    and the times ive seen 1 mossy, ONE ***** MOSSY, ruin whole fields of vanu.. yeah dont pull a skyguard, the tr/nc farm of vanu might stop
  12. Demigan

Read it again. I say get in between a fight and a warpgate, or the closest aircraft spawnpoint. This does not mean "run up to a warpgate", this means "stay far enough from the fight not to get shot at by AA, but close enough to find all the ESF that converge on the fight".

"5 days in the air" and "relatively new pilot" sounds like "I've only started flying since 5 days". Hence my response.
  13. Stack0verflow

Since making this post i've written almost every pilot i've killed or been killed by about duels, and only found one guy who dueled me twice before he logged. I play for at least an hour or two a day, and i've friended almost a dozen pilots in hopes we'll do some duels, but it never really seems to work out.

Are there any VS air / vehicle outfits on emerald? I hate to sound like a whiney *****, but it's just not fun to go out there and be constantly ganked by the vets, and i'm not particularly interested in the ps2 ground game.

Or maybe there's another server with a decent VS air outfit? I've been trying for ages and I can't even find a single active VS pilot here....
  14. KirthGersen

OP you're doing it wrong. Fight like a man: equip stealth, fire sup and A2A lock-ons. Then you need to find a nice ESF duel (ideally between two enemies of other factions) and farm both starting with a winning guy. Use nose cannon only in case of emergency.
    Your welcome:p
  15. Stack0verflow

16. Pirbi

If this isn't the truth. Only thing more lame than A2A lock-ons is the third faction ganking the one rare pure 1v1 you managed to find.
  17. Gundem

For starters, download the PTS ASAP. Great environment for practicing since you can max out your ESF for free, since the only combat that really matters is high-level, and it's unlikely you will be bothered by randoms.

Second, PM a few aces in the sky. 8/10 times they will be super chill and help you out. Just don't spam their mailbox's while they are in the middle of a hover-duel!

But really, get the PTS. It will be a very long, brutal, desolate path trying to get gud on live, and you will walk the path of a thousand tears while hitting quite a few trees along the way. You will get seal clubbed by every ace who sneezes at you, you will get absurdly frustrated and you will cry great tears of sadness. PTS is love, PTS is life.

As for actual flying, a few tips:

• 1. If you are privileged with a multi-button mouse like me, bind Pitch Up/Down to it. Otherwise, bind to any keys on your keyboard that are most convenient. Pitch keys allow you to turn much faster then mouse aim alone. And remember that Pitch Down is always faster then Pitch Up!
    • 2. Lower your sensitivity. With your Pitch keys properly bound, you should be using 3rd person mode to maneuver fine. Lower sensitivity means better aim.
    • 3. Dodge, aim, fire, reload, dodge. Rinse and repeat. Don't try and dodge and aim at the same time while you are beginning. You'll just be shooting yourself in the foot. Learn to aim and then dodge, don't overburden yourself. In a duel, all good pilots will dodge while they reload, take a second to fire, then dodge again.
    • 4. Don't make the newbie mistake of assuming you are the air superiority who knocks and bumrushing Liberators, then complaining on the forums that Liberators are OP when your face gets stomped off by a 3/3-Shredder-TB-Walker LEAD FUREH Liberator crew. I don't want to deal with that ;). Keep a reasonable distance, approx. 300m at minimum and Liberators are free certs, just watch for Dalton snipes.
    • 5. Use AB tanks or Coyotes, but for your sake, do not use A2A pods. They are a nice crutch at range, but they form really bad habits with tunnel visioning and floating in place like a moron. Wait till you can handle flying like a not-partially-******** zergling before you start gunning for rage-tells.
    If you'd like more advice, you can PM me. I haven't practiced in quite a while but I still do okay-ish in the air.
  18. SoljVS

Great points overall but I would say start out with lower sensitivity and work your way up over time as your aiming improves. With lower sensitivity you will lose the more experienced pilots who thrust around during a fight. I started at 1200 dpi .5 ingame and I'm now up to 1600dpi .5 ingame. At this sensitivity I can keep up and actually keep hitting a target that is laying on the AB while ascending.

Also as your aim improves and you learn to feel how the bullets will fly the increased sensitivity will make it much easier to roll your ESF which is very beneficial when fighting so you aren't doing a static ascend descend but incorporating rolling which makes it harder for your target to anticipate where to aim.
  19. KirthGersen

Well I know how you fight on your cozy Emerald but both EU servers are full of dirty play, 4th factioning etc.
    Such things don't really hurt anyone anymore cuz they are just too usual.
  20. Pirbi

There is plenty of cheese on emerald but still enough players around promoting actual aiming.