When are you going to fix LOD in PS2

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by user101, Sep 25, 2015.

1. user101

I am tired of having invisable people shoot me out of buildings because LOD does not work in ZURG battles.

If you can't fix it DEV's just remove it ... LOD is pointless anyway.

And moving to DX11 will just kill all the dual cores...

For those that don't know LOD is Load On Distance
  2. ObiVanuKenobi

LOD means level of detail and is something completely different. It reduces quality of far away objects.

You're talking about player culling which definitely is necessary in this game and gives a pretty big performance boost for both clients and the server however it's not perfect and has some small glitches from time to time.

What does dx 11 has to do with dual cores? It's a graphics API and has no problems even on single core CPUs.
    • Up x 1
  3. RainbowDash9

what they really need to do is optimize the player models a little more so they dont chew through your cpu like they do now. then they would be able to render more people at once.
  4. user101

Well when the distance detail is invisible I would say that is bad no matter what you call it.

And as far as DX11 the DEV's are in the process of using full 3D and that will suck up gobs of CPU time. We are not talking about DX9 running in DX11 we are talking about runing full DX11 on all models. I want to see a dual core run 3D in PS2.
  5. ObiVanuKenobi

Players rendering with a delay is usually caused by a laggy connection, there's no such thing as invisible players.

The stuff you said about 3d just doesn't make any sense to me. At all. This game is 3d lol. Both dx 9 and dx 11 are 3d.
  6. user101

Well the problem on this end is that I get bullets fired from windows and people that don't show up in front of me. And Lag is not the issue since I run about 125 ms from the server to me. And I have a 6 core machine... so it's a server problem on there end because when I fire back all of a sudden the people show up but only when I fire at them other wise they don't show.

As for DX11 if you read on other places you will find that 3D DX11 just sucks up CPU time like 3 to 4 times the amount that DX9 does. So if they are moving to DX11 PS2 models I would assume the CPU time is going to go up by a lot. So dual cores are going to do what run a 3 FPS in DX11 mode. If the models are DX11 models and not DX9 then were talking about killing the dual core people out right.

Yes the building in PS2 are 3D but rendered as DX9 not DX11, but the player models are not 3D they are DX9 for the most part. So going to DX11 is just more CPU time but great for players like me with 6 cores.... since DX12 runs all your cores.
  7. ObiVanuKenobi

DX 11 would have worse performance only if they added new effects and stuff which weren't available in DX 9 like tesselation and some post processing effects and forced them on without any options. Without adding any new graphical stuff simply changing from DX 9 to DX 11 would improve performance not make it worse.
    o_O player models are 3D and DX 9 like everything else in this game.
  8. user101

Well according to the DEV's they are looking to move to DX11 so that to me means they are adding more.

And all the game programming sites say DX11 is not better in performance that it takes lots more CPU time. So you saying DX11 is better is subjective in what you are trying to do in programming.

Player models look 3D and gun models also look 3D but lots of the parts of them are not 3D.... also an assumption on your part.

Just because you draw the helmets in 3D does not mean the rest of the model is in 3D. Most of PS2 is 3D but not all of it.
  9. ObiVanuKenobi

Sounds like you're talking about shaders? DX 11 doesn't make non-3d things 3d, it simply has better shaders which makes them look more 3d-ish.
    Performance depends on what features the devs decide to use.
  10. Lord_Mogul

DX11 has some improvements in completing workloads. like better multicore utilization.
    There are even performance improvements when switching from DX10 to DX11
    As long as they don't use new additional DX11 effects they can improve performacne fro mswitching.

But sinde DX11 is not DX9 they have to rebuild some stuff. that is meant by "looking to move to DX11"

The thing about dual cores: It wouldn't run worse on them. If would just run better on 4/6/8 cores than before because the additional cores can be used more efficiently.
    Same goes about DX11 vs. DX12: besides optimization with draw calls the multicore usage will be better. (Its the same with Win XP vs. Win 7 vs. Win 8: They optimized the memory management and multicore scheduling.)