What's the point of VS long reloads

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Dead soldier, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Dead soldier

So really whats the point, the guy just wants to move slower? At least add an animation of him hitting a button on the side of the gun.
    • Up x 5
  2. Bolticus

Wut?
    The VS weapons reload the fastest of the three factions, and it's not just pressing a button.
    You're swapping out an energy cell.
  3. Rabbitz

- VS long reload animation. Slowly insert a battery. Slowly slap battery.
    - VS fast reload animation. Same as above but do faster.

At lease do some bolt slap animation like NC AXC11 would be nice.
    • Up x 3
  4. Awass

He's not complaining about the speed of the reload. He's saying that the long relaod animation doesn't make sense. It's just a slower version of the fast reload.
    • Up x 2
  5. Littleman

Some weapons reload slower than others, and yeah, it looks kind of weird when he's just holding the gun in the air while seemingly fumbling for a power cell that looks exactly the same as the ones used on every other gun. The thing that makes long reloads seem short is that there's something always going on. Anchor reloads are supposed to be 4s, but they sure as hell don't feel like it because my NC heavy is always doing something during the reload. VS weapons could stand to open up and vent some kind of residue build up whenever there's a longer reload involved, particularly with LMGs.
    • Up x 2
  6. Cyridius

He's discussing Long Reload, not the reload speed.

Long Reload occurs when you empty the magazine fully and have no rounds left, so in conventional weapons this increases reload time because there's no round in the chamber. Short/Tactical reload is when you have a round in the chamber and just swap out the magazine, much quicker.

Logically speaking, VS shouldn't even have a Long Reload time, but what he's complaining about is that the VS Long Reload animation is identical to the Short Reload animation, just slower, unlike the other 2 factions which have additional animations to represent fully loading up the weapon.
    • Up x 1
  7. Bolticus

Oh, sorry.
    • Up x 1
  8. Duff_Chimp

VS you want THE MOON ON A STICK!
  9. Badname82

Yah you gotta make sure that pew pew lazor is locked and loaded before you can fire. Makes total sense.

They should have you bang on the side of the receiver with the heel of you palm...like you are trying to fix the reception on an old tube-based Tv.
  10. Veri

While i do understand the different reload times for 'balance' amongst the factions, it is odd seeing reload times being excessively slow for pulling out a battery and inserting a new one.
    But I understand the single animation is done to cut down work load, time and pay check.
    • Up x 1
  11. Tekuila

Could be a weapon overheat, I mean it is plasma. They could add steam or something.
  12. GhostAvatar

Because the animation team are spending to much time discussing Higby's choice of hair style. So they didnt have enough time left over to animate it.
  13. sustainedfire

They have to open the batteries before they install them in the guns.
  14. WalrusJones

They could add a buzzing sound as capacitors charge.
  15. Zitroxious

ive always found it odd that reloading while you still have bullets left is faster than when its empty.. where is the logic in that? it should be the other way around, or do nanites turn those remaining rounds into a brand new magazine? doh
  16. Zorro

Guns reload faster when a bullet is already present in the chamber. However, this does not make sense with VS weapons.
  17. MorteDeAmgelis

In conventional firearms reload with a bullet in the chamber means that the weapon is already set to fire.

The round is not fired directly from the magazine but is instead removed from the magazine and inserted into the chamber of the gun. This means the Hammer (used to fire the bullet) is already set meaning that a person can simply remove and replace the magazine with the bullet still in the chamber.

Reloading from empty means the Hammer is NOT set. This means that all bullets have been expended from the barrel and the Hammer has not reset. This means that when you place the magazine into the gun you need to manually reset the hammer before the gun will fire.
    • Up x 4
  18. Zitroxious

ah yeah good point, i hadnt thought about the chambered round, makes sense
  19. SgtBreastroker

I never finish my cells to ensure I can reload faster in all situations.
  20. Mefi

Or a weapon need to charge an inner buffer capacitor. If they make same speed for installing the battery but add some battery spinning or LED flashes then it will look more sensible (though still cheap).