What's the point of TR Max lockdown ability? (AI-Max)

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Dragonblood, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Dragonblood

What's the point of TR AI-Max to have the lockdown ability? Because when I want to do more damage in exchange for mobility I just crouch. (In before Burster Max with lockdown are OP.....they are, but that's not the topic)
  2. Lyel

It is made to hold points. A very much defensive ability.
  3. DrazahNede

this is how its gonna end every time:

Enemy pops in around corner,
    see you in lockdown mode and hides back behind,
    Trows a concussion/frag inside the room jumps out with rocket launcher in your face

you will probably kill him, but not before losing most of your health
    • Up x 2
  4. Shockwave44

Then don't use it.
  5. Ash87

The best example of Lockdown (And actually Aegis shield) tactics came up Saturday.

For the 11 million NC and TR (I swear everyone was there) who took part in the fight for the SE outlier of Peris Amp during the event then, you'll probably know what I'm talking about .

Basically, TR maxes were able to put on Lockdown if well placed and throw an abundance of bullets down range. Accuracy seems to loose out when you go into Lockdown, so it was almost 90% suppression fire, and for that purpose it worked Really well. Doorways were watched, paths up were monitored, and in close quarters, the main guns would tear infantry to shreds, while allowing little time for people to throw grenades or what have you. Engineers had to keep those people Constantly resupplied, but a group of locked down maxes could pin down a Lot of troops and prevent movement up certain routes. They functioned almost like defense towers, parked infront of paths that the enemy might come up.

Alternatively the Aegis was used like a shield wall. The Maxes would walk up with the deployed shield and sit in mass. They had to stay far enough away that the lockdown maxes weren't putting all of the rounds into their shields, but putting up a small shield wall, mean that troops could fire from Behind the shields and hit the enemy consistently.

I was quite impressed with how both sides used their weapons. It made things interesting for once. The NC had to actually figure out how to get Around the defenses, and were finally able to take the base.
  6. Phazaar

Then consider Lockdown to be a super-OP crouch.
  7. Dragonblood

But wouldn't that tactic also work without lockdown? 25% higher firerate, but bad accuracy is a zero sum game.
  8. Ash87

Yes and no.

Yes: If you had x2 the number of maxes, meaning instead of the 5-8 maxes that were running around, you had 16 maxes, all devoted to that one area, which means more needed engineer support, which means more people would be required in the area.

No: Because fewer people are dedicated to area denial, more people can focus on counter attacks; as well as, actively countering the enemy.

And I was using weapons that aren't very accurate already, so the only decent accuracy of these guns isn't significantly worse, it's just magnified.

The lockdown really distinguishes the uses of each set of chainguns too. If you want more accuracy at range, use mercys. If you want to put a billion bullets in the air in one vague direction, use mutilators. If you want to tear things up at close quarters, again use mutilators or onslaughts. Really down to what you need at that time.
  9. NewSith

With PS1 mechanics Lockdown was (in all honesty) crap apart from the dual-Burster (TR-only back then).
    With PS2 mechanics, AV mechanics in particular, lockdown will be rather devastating to enemies. And don't forget dual-mercy.
  10. Vetto

To be frank... If your going to Fight Inf as a max you should have a engineer near by any way? Plan to lock down a point with a Locked down max? Then you REALLY need an engineer there, ya they can hit you but if you have anti-flak on and engineer near by out side of a good side rush into the room there not getting passed you.