What the Flim Flam is wrong with your game?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Juunro, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Juunro

So, tonight I was sitting on a hilltop just north of Crossroads watchtower during an Alert on Emerald. I had pulled my AP vanguard and was going to pop the Vanu AMS's that were parked out front of TI, because tactics. I fire the first shot, get hit detection. Fire the second, the third, the fourth, the fifth, the sixth and finally the seventh actually gets hit detection again. It should be noted this was a parked Sunderer and I had the range on him with the first shot; I readjusted for each shot so that the little elevation lines lined up for every additional shot. So one in roughly seven shots actually get hit detection.

Clearly, I didn't kill any Sunderers.

My ping, as it turned out, was around 4000. The game said I had a Good connection. I tabbed out and the ping to my ventrillo server was 21.

This kind of nonsense has been happening on and off since the last big patch. Fix it, SOE. I'll be playing Wasteland 2 more until you damn well do.
    • Up x 4
  2. Yeahy

3. DatVanuMan

4,000 PING?
    Please, I once hit 01,337!
    I wish I did. I actually clocked on 127,000-something.
    Galaxy's were humping each other, and suddenly fly in the air, and I then discovered how Liberators were made!
    P.S. What's WL2?
  4. Devrailis

I had a similar issue last night on Esamir. Not only was hit-detection off, but I regularly saw infantry, Magriders and Vanguards float through the air for several seconds and then snap-back to the ground. I wondered if it was my own connection, but nope, connection is smooth as butter on everything but PS2.
    • Up x 1
  5. Juunro

Fun CRPG that came out recently. It's the actual sequel to Fallout 2, basically.
  6. FateJH

A "good connection" just means you aren't getting packet loss (all TCP requests get a reply). Your ping is an estimate of how long the request-reply exchange with the server would take.
  7. RenegadeHelios

Eh, I have 128kb/sec internet and generally play decently at around 120 ping. Works for me decently well.

One time i broke 379k ping, tho. That was an interesting circumstance. I figured it was just another lagspurt, so I went, grabbed a cup of coffee, came back, still hadn't spawned in, switched windows, watched a bit of Youtube (perfectly fine, btw) for a few minutes, played a bit of Warframe (that was still working perfectly fine, btw), tabbed back to the window for a bit, went, hit the bathroom, had to make another pot of coffee, sat back down, waited a few minutes, and finally spawned in.

It was an interesting endeavor.
  8. Juunro

Didn't know that. It still doesn't particularly change the point: Something is seriously bjorked with the servers.
  9. Yeahy

Not quite there yet.
  10. DatVanuMan

BRO.
    What I may sometimes experience is a NIGHTMARE compared to this walk in the park.
  11. DatVanuMan

HMM...
    Where may I "observe" this little game of yours?
  12. Juunro

It's on steam.
  13. DatVanuMan

Thanks for the info, man. Reckon I'll check it out.
  14. dstock

My buddy that I usually play with has been having trouble every time we've tried to play over the last week, because he has absurd hitching/warping going on. It definitely started after the Halloween update, and the only time he had something similar was during the Snowman Hunt over last winter.

I'm no network expert, but based on my limited understanding, it's an interpolation issue: he will initiate a turn in his Harasser, and we'll see him carry that turn for 10-20m before the game updates his location again, warping him to the correct location at that instant, and doing it over, and over, and over again until someone crashes, or he rage quits.

On one hand, it's kind of funny to watch the insanity. When he goes over a jump, it usually turns him upside down and lets him fly through the air a short distance until his position is updated. On the other hand, it's almost impossible to hit anything gunning for him.

Really frustrating, it hasn't ruined our enjoyment of the game completely, but it's a definite buzzkill that one of our guys simply can't enjoy more than 20minutes or so of gameplay.

NOTES:
    Everyone in this thread reporting the same thing is on Emerald, same as us.

He lives on the West Coast, but none of our other West Coast friends have this issue. Everyone sees the same thing, except the guy with the issue. His is slightly out of sync, but that makes sense because of the way the game tracks vehicle location (ie, when you fire a rocket out of the side of a Valkyrie, the rocket spawns behind the plane because it's point of origin is derived from the person firing it, not the person piloting the vehicle, who determines where the vehicle is 'actually' located in conjunction with the server.
  15. miraculousmouse

Hummus is really fkin good. I got some from walmart which had some ginger dip thing in the middle and it was awesome taking a little bit of that with a bunch of hummus and just savoring it. I like it as much as ranch now.
    • Up x 2
  16. DatVanuMan

I was talking about ranch...
    But hummus is FAR more important.
    God Bless Wal-mart (And the other states of which are of little importance).
  17. Geneaux

I chuckled, but more like this:
    [IMG]
    • Up x 1
  18. DatVanuMan

A good little laugh never hurt a fly!
    Right?
    Right...?
  19. JustBoo

Are the DOS attacks still going on against the SOE servers?
  20. ajma

What DOS attacks? It was "planned maintenance".