What should I focus on first as a heavy?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Umsonarla, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Umsonarla

Played beta and tried all the classes and I really love the heavy but I was never really sure where I should focus my certs on. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  2. Trollcifer

Personally I'd say LMG accuracy/sight upgrades and armor/shield upgrades. How you go about that depends on your personal preferences however.
  3. Saydian

also would like to know.

Also what the preferred LMG and AA is for each Faction.
  4. Kayos

Gun attachments and the Crow/Hawk.
  5. Strongback

Ok, so you've decided to be Heavy Assault.

The very first thing you need is Nano armor 2, because that's very cheap to get.
    Second, you need reflex sight if you're not packing an MCG.
    Third is forward grip or extended magazine if you're using LMG, depending which one you've got.
    Fourth, one of the two restoration kits, this allows you to heal up without a medic and can give you an edge when you have your heal over time on against another HA that doesn't.

After this you may want to choose between resist shield or normal shield. I personally liked resist shield, but the standard one has been buffed enough that I can't tell which is better.

I also recommend getting the AA rocket launcher. If they didn't change it, it still flies on a straight line on dumb fire. However, it does do less dmg to tanks, but having the ability to make aircrafts go F themselves is enough for that trade.
    • Up x 5
  6. Ganjis

AA launcher seems unchanged from final beta. If you have station cash burning a hole in your E-pocket, they are worth unlocking.
  7. Saydian

That's great info thanks =3
  8. Umsonarla

Awesome, Thanks Strongback
  9. anaverageguy

I would like to say that AA or AV rocket launcher is the first thing to get.. but the cert price is kinda ridiculous.. So I'd say anything that increases survivability. I found flak armor to be my favorite in terms of investment during beta. Given the amount of explosives thrown around, I think it's a very worthwhile investment. Grenades, tank shells, rockets, rocket pods, C4, lib shells, etc.
  10. Strongback

Oh and also for the love of all that is holy DO NOT GET SHOTGUNS if you're planning on playing mainly as HA.
    You will run out of ammunition too fast and you'll be stuck with your pistol.

Shotgun I only recommend to Engineers.
  11. Zourin

There is a small amount of rocket-drop at extreme ranges with the TR AA (not sure if the others vary). At around 50m I have to aim a lil' above the target for a good hit, but I'm still within the reticule at 100m.

Solid info for a main-line heavy. A big thing to remember is to use the 'B' key to change firing modes if they're available on the gun.
    Try, when possible, to work with a squad of other heavies with an engineer and a medic or two in the mix. A classic Bio-ball with ammunition is really hard to deal with, especially if they're all packing those AA missiles.
  12. DrTeeth

I'll assume you're playing TR and have some SC to invest.

1. Buy the Grounder.
    2. Buy a primary weapon if you don't want to use the CARV - Minigun, CARV-S or TMG-50 are all good choices.
    3. Cert Resto kit
    4. Cert reflex sight (or laser if you're going with the Minigun)
    5. Cert extra rocket suit mod
    6. Cert recoil / COF attachments (compensator, forward grip etc)
    7. Cert another Resto kit
    8. Cert another extra rocket
    • Up x 1
  13. Quor

All good advice, but I would like to mention that the AA launcher now has a curved trajectory, just like the standard and AV versions. So no more sniper rockets, or at least it's harder now.

It does, however, still move faster than the other two RL's do, so that accommodates for the drop to a certain degree.
  14. Sixpack

Hm.

What is the difference between a medkit and a restoration kit?
  15. DrTeeth

Medkits are more expensive to cert and more expensive to buy, but restore health instantly whereas resto kits take a few seconds. To me resto kits are fine, if I ever need to use one I almost always need to wait for my shields to recharge also so the delay isn't an issue.
  16. Flukeman62

Im a tr and I use the barrage. I find it rather effective. As long as you have a good squad includeing engineers.
  17. Strongback

Well, of course if you have an engineer constantly hanging around with you, then by all means.
  18. Flukeman62

it just depends on squad communication and others game-play styles. in my outfit there are a few who just enjoy fighting as engineer so its better to not waste effectively having unlimited ammo.
  19. Strongback

True, but still, I'm using the Pandora automatic shotgun with extended magazine so I might be bit biased.
    This means I have 10 shots per magazine and I can reload 2 times before I run out of ammunition.
    If you don't have an engineer around, you're going to have to pop out the beamer pretty soon in a target rich enviroment, at least with that gun.
  20. bobby_m

Considering how poorly AA performs right now I think that the AA launcher should be very high on the priority list.