What part of the Cerberus sights do you think are where the bullets should go?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Haruk, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Haruk

I'm not here to discuss the stats. I'm posting to see what part of the sights you would assume the bullets are going to be lined up to.

When I ADS the Cerberus, I figure the bullets will be using the tip of the teal arrow, this isn't where they go though, as the video shows.

It looks like they use the chunky rear bit on the sight, and the teal arrow is like the soon-to-be-dead guy's hat.

I want to make full use of the Cerberus's high damage while ADSing, but maybe I'm the only person that thinks the tip of the teal arrow is where the bullets aught to go.

What do you folks think?
    • Up x 3
  2. HellasVagabond

No, the teal arrow is just for show, the bullets go right beneath it and over the sight as do with all weapons.
  3. Kiddneey

Reminds me of the NC Rebel, that doesn't shoot where you'd expect it to either. (In the Rebel's case, the bullets are too high, not too low).

The tip of the teal arrow is definitely meant to be the aim point, I have no idea what HellasVagabond is on about.
  4. Van Dax

HellasVagabond has a habit of jumping into any VS thread just to be contrary
  5. Scientiarum

It seems like the projectiles (not really bullets though eh?) go beneath the top of the back sights though actually. I don't see why people think the stats are so bad I think it should perform fine in live if they can just get the sights lined up. Regardless, that teal arrow shouldn't be there. I know there is 'art' in video games but sights do have to be somewhat functional. I mean even the regular iron sights are bad as things are but they just keep making new ones that are worse than the last.
  6. HellasVagabond

I've used quite a few weapons in my life, the teal arrow is like the circle many sights have. The bullet doesn't go Above the circle or at the upper part of the circle, it goes at the top end of the tip placed on the lower part of the circle. It's natural.
  7. Van Dax

Just watch the video and you can see the bullet flies from a part below the sight and the teal arrows don't have any meaning at all.
    the intuitive way would be to hit at the point where the two teal lines meet.
  8. HellasVagabond

Like i said the teal arrow is just a design thing, it's not practical (perhaps just a little since if you have a target beneath the arrow you will probably hit him).
  9. Van Dax

IDK man it seems more practical to me to use the arrow bit as the sight that way you have greater visibility of what you are shooting at.
  10. HellasVagabond

Perhaps but no gun shoots that high. They placed it clearly to make the gun look a bit better AND perhaps help a bit since like i said if you have someone placed in the area beneath the arrow you should hit him.

PS : That doesn't mean that the devs didn't intend for the bullets to land at the tip of the arrow, they are not military people after all so they may fix that.
  11. Haruk

Right, but the teal arrow is not a circle, it is an arrow. The ACOG has a red arrow, and its function is sort of like you're describing, the ends of the arrow designate where the round is at 36m and 300m, but that is due to how the 5.56mm arcs as it travels. the top of the arrow being a more useful indicator for 50m to 200m.

I'm speaking of the ACOG in use on an M16A4, I only used it for a limited time, but am plenty familiar with M16 iron sights which you are describing splendidly.

That's what I'm thinking, an arrow on a pistol indicates Bullets go here, not to forget, it also has rabbit ears that are level with the arrow tip as well. I figured that was the level.

I took a look at the Rebel too, I think that got fixed? Not sure.

Thanks for participating, seems there some disagreement on where the sights should be. I like the glowing arrow, it's nice. I wish it was the functional sight instead of just aesthetic.
  12. HellasVagabond

Well the only weapons that come to mind in regard to arrows are sniper rifles (the dragunov comes to mind) but these have scopes so not the same (they actually have several arrows used as rangefinders). Anyways i think it's just a matter of getting used to it, it's not hard.
  13. Haruk

Mockups for alternate sights for either way of looking at it.

Arrowhead all the way:
    [IMG]
    The straight bar, or arrow tail would be on the rearsight.

Half-circle and dot:
    [IMG]
    Halfcircle would be on the frontsight, which is kinda backwards, but it's a pistol so whatever, and it's alien-space-guys-technocracy so whatever. Dot would be rear-sight for reasons stated above.

Maybe. These are some things that came to mind.
  14. Ripshaft

Havent played the test server in a few days i think, so maybe it's changed since then, but in the intial build containing the cerb I was fairly certain the optics were properly aligned. Now I'm not trying to argue with you wether it is or isnt aligned on the current build, but the video you've shown does not demonstrate this, based on the footage it is perfectly possible, and arguably more likely that you simply mistook the inaccuracy of the weapon for misaligned sights, and also do not understand weapon dynamics in close range (where your bullets are coming from a position different than what you would think if the bullets were coming from the camera, allowing you to aim above a target and still hit - this could be a bug with the projectile source as i dont remember pistols having this issue) Your primary confusion seems to be on why you're seemingly headshotting more often when aiming above the targets, and this is easily explained by the cof encompassing the head region and empty space, making body shots impossible, giving the impression that this is the right spot.

Anyways, enough guesswork, you can very easily confirm or deny this by just shooting at the wall targets in the target range, from a few different ranges, and if you want to be extra sure, contrast it vs the beamer. It shoudl be very apparent very quickly if the sights are misaligned.

Once again, you could be accurate in thinking the sights are misaligned, just your presented evidence does not support this. I'd test it myself but I'm in another game atm, just alt tabbed to get a drink and noticed this so had to check =p

Will check it myself later if you dont get around to it, either way I doubt the devs would miss it if it were unaligned, but might as well be thurough.
  15. Haruk

You appear to be playing forumside instead of answering the question of "Which part of the Cerberus's sights do you think the bullets are aligned to?" That is what this thread is about, and what the video shows, the nub is the part where bullets go, and the arrow has nothing to do with it. Look for the different height shots; when the arrow is on the face, at a reasonable distance, they register as body shots; when the nub is on the face, almost all shots land on the head. COF only matters for the back row shots in the video, probably, which are generally misses. Maybe it was explained too colorfully in the OP.

The arrow is bright and shiny, the nub is not, so I find that confusing during ADS. The arrow makes more sense to me as the front sight, because it draws your eye to it because it is bright and shiny. The nub under the arrow being where the bullets are going was a surprise.

Dude, try it for yourself and let me know what you think of how the sights work, that's what this thread is about. Go shoot some training dummies in the head using ADS and tell me what you think of using the current ADS config. Would you rather the Nice teal arrow tip be where your shots go, or are you happy with the nub?

Thanks for the bump.
  16. Ripshaft

hm don't think you quite got what I was saying, though I wasn't clear about one thing; I think it definitely should be aligned with the peak of the chevron, like any other ironsight. The other part I was stating and trying to explain was that your video evidence doesn't show conclusively that the aim is coming from the nub, you can however confirm this in a few seconds by shooting a few clips at a wall or the wall targets as I suggested, which is what I just did. It is indeed aligned by the nub, whether this in intentional or not, I don't know, but you know where I think it should be.

One thing i didn't do was compare the model height against the other pistols, which could lend creedence to that theory, but whatev too tired to check that now will check tomorrow.
  17. Haruk

Bing! Chevron, thank you.

For my purposes, that video was enough, previous posters got the jist of what was going on.

Thank you for the peer review! ;)
  18. Gheeta

The bullets should be going to the tip of the arrow. If this isn't the case it is obviously a bug.
  19. KodiakBlack

Should be the arrow, making an element that has nothing to do with the aiming process glow is just silly its the same as the luminous dots on some modern iron sights or the luminous markings in optical sights, they aid sight acquisition (albeit mostly in lowlight conditions) because they draw the eye to them, the basic premise of any sight design should be clarity and superfluous aiming elements shouldn't be included at all, let alone made more obvious than the actual functional elements.
  20. exLupo

Interesting. I was initially going to say that the ^ should be used as a hat but then realized I'm internally adjusting for the drop experienced when doing mid-range headshots using the TR 3.4x on a low-optic BASR. Give them a hat and you'll shoot them in the face.

Arguments in favor of peak = shot point make sense. However, I do wonder if the designer had more of a Ghost Ring type feel where the top of the ^ is the upper part of the ring and the glowy peg is meant to be the point of aim.

Where should they go? Probably the point of the ^
    Where would I like them to go? Under the hat.