What level of FPS are you willing to tolerate?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Devrailis, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Devrailis

So, I've been noticing that my FPS has been getting progressively worse since OMFG1. I don't know if it's the hotfixes that have broken the performance gains that were made but I've gone from about ~20ish FPS on average in combat since OMFG to 10-15 when in combat, which jumps around in a range of about 10 to 30 when I'm not staring at a group of people.

Frankly I've gone on with poor FPS for long enough that it usually doesn't bother me but after spending 2 hacksaw magazines trying to kill a heavy at <5 meters who looked like he was teleporting all over the place (I know he wasn't, he just looked like it on my screen), I was thinking to myself, "Why DO I put up with it?".

I'll be building a brand spanking new machine around Christmas time but until then I'm still soldiering on through SlideshowSide 2. I'm curious, how many people play this game with crappy FPS, and how bad would it have to get before you put the game down?
  2. SinerAthin

I used to have some crappy FPS, but then I upgraded. Best decision ever.

140FPS in warpgate, 90-120 FPS elsewhere.

Lowest I think is 40 FPS in the biggest battles.

Even though it's a dream build, I'm having some technical issues with the machine (it'll fail to boot 4 out of 5 tries), even though otherwise it runs flawlessly.
    Will probably get fixed as soon as I switch the SSD and update the BIOS.
  3. LucasPiazon

I can tolerate no lower than 40fps. That's why I avoid 48+ vs 48+ fights where I get 30fps. In small 25-48 vs 25-48 fights and lower i get 50+ fps, and this is when I can play properly.
  4. Cougarbrit

Well, I get around 8fps when flying around SE Indar. Considering how many times I subject myself to that reluctantly, I'd say that's the limit of my tolerance.

And unfortunately, it'll be quite a while till I can upgrade. And by upgrade I mean buy a desktop. Probably sometime late next year if I'm lucky.
  5. NoctD

Honestly Devrailis - I've been meaning to ask how you manage to tolerate such low frame rates. I think the worse I can tolerate is anything above 40 fps!!!
  6. Hatesphere

Anything below 25FPS and things get very very dicey. luckily my 2 year old rig still managed to put out 35-40 in big fights before the OMFG update. now i get 50-60 consistent with smoothing on.

define not boot, because if it isn't even making it past the post 1 out of 5 times then I would see if you can RMA your motherboard. I got a few bad ones from ASUS on my last rig, 2 in a row that had to be RMA due to issues like that, ended up getting a free upgrade.
  7. SinerAthin

Boot, as in; sometimes not detecting my SSD old, aka boot drive. It gets to past BIOS just fine. A2

It is detecting my new SSD just fine(I see it when I check the BIOS), but I can't seem to install windows on it. I just end up at the 'no boot device' detected screen, even though I started it up with the CD in and has it in first boot priority.

It's so strange, the CD(burnt) has worked before and I get the popup message when I Put it into my laptop :confused:

I haven't updated my BIOS, but I don't think that should cause it.
  8. Shadowyc

I can only accept 15 trillion FPS. Any less is heresy.
  9. Devrailis

There's really two things that keep me playing with despite the performance issues I get with Planetside 2.

First of all, I've never had anything more than 30 FPS at best in terms of consistent performance. I've had a few moments where I'd go 5 minutes or so at 40 FPS, and damn, it made me feel unstoppable. But usually, I'm running at low and jumpy FPS and it's just something I've gotten used to.

The second thing I do to compensate for it can be seen right on my stats page, which I can dissect for you right now since my game client just crashed. ;)

My two most played classes are infil and MAX. One of the reasons why I play infil and MAX so often is because those two classes are particularly forgiving for low FPS players, at least in my view.

As an infil, I can snipe at long range where low FPS may make it frustrating to hit things but gives me enough breathing room to bug out if I start taking fire. As a MAX, I'm simply so tough that if I get jumped on and have trouble making out just what is hitting me, I'm still packing enough armour to afford the 1 or 2 seconds that I need to track a target, hopefully in time to actually kill him or run off into cover.

This is why I hate Decimators so much, they often just don't give me time to react. I've died many times watching a Deci pointed at me and knowing that by the time I mash my Charge or Shield, I'm probably already dead on the other guy's screen.

Both class and playstyle combinations give me the key thing that a low FPS player requires to really get any meaningful amount of damage in before my enemy can kill me, and that's extra reaction time. I "spend" time to compensate for crappy FPS, but with the low TTK in this game, you'd be going to the bank in a coffin playing with most classes and loadouts. By using either distance or sheer durability, I can buy enough time to react even though sometimes I can barely track my targets even when they are standing right in front of me.

Is it cheesy? Sure, probably is, but it keeps me in the game so I'm willing to take advantage of whatever tools I'm given that let me get the job done.
    • Up x 2
  10. Zorro

I quite appreciate a constant 20, though the more the better.
  11. WaaWaa

My condolences and you definitely would be doing a lot better ingame with a better computer. Outfit members have had a positive experience when they upgraded!
    • Up x 1
  12. doombro

Lowest level of FPS I'm willing to tolerate is 30. I drop below 40 and it gets harder to aim. I drop down to 20 and I can't aim. Period.
  13. Hatesphere

if the windows CD isent seeing the hard drive you might have to use the option to manually load drivers for your mobo chipsets, it might not know what it is if you windows CD is too old and cant read the new SSD, I have had that happen before.
  14. SinerAthin

Though the logic you're implying is interesting.
    If so, it could explain why the CD worked with my old SSD but doesn't react with my new SSD. Is the SSD not compatible with Windows Home Premium?

I also have 2 Windows CD, one old and one new. So it can't be the date at which the CD was created that's at fault.

What do you mean by manually loading drivers for my mobo chipset? Aka, update my mobo/BIOS with a USB?
  15. Hatesphere

you can do it with a USB or a cd when the install is running, when it asks where you want to install windows there should be a load drivers option. select that and then you should be able to swap in your mobo CD or read for a USB to grab the drivers. The install for windows is its own little sandbox, and sometimes its default drivers are pretty dumb.

if that doesn't work i am out of ideas.
  16. SinerAthin

Well, the issue is that I can't even get to the windows install. It just skips to the no bootable drive screen.
  17. Hatesphere

ah, I misread. then I have no clue, hah. the disk really should boot to an install with a hard drive install or not, if the disk drive is set to first boot priority. sounds like the bios is skipping over your CD drive and straight to you drive with no OS. not sure what else you could try other then a cmos reset and then setting the CD drive back to the top of the boot list again for that install.

now we have highjacked this thread :p , so if you need any help with that, give me a PM or drop a thread in the tech support forums here, maybe others will have some good ideas!
  18. RHINO_Mk.II

The question is not what FPS I am willing to tolerate.

The question is what FPS my wallet is willing to tolerate.
    • Up x 2
  19. Devrailis

Yes, I had to ask myself this all month. Fortunately the answer was: A Lot.
  20. AzureKnight

As long as I can't tell it's choppy, I'm good so that puts me around the 20-25 FPS range.