What is the point in playing as infantry?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by S1eB, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Ashnal

It's an unfortunate truth that many people aren't willing to switch roles when the situation calls for it. I don't think it's fair to say that people "hide" in their vehicles. There are many people, like myself, who legitimately enjoy vehicle gameplay more than infantry. This may be hard to understand for someone who likes fighting man to man on foot, but vehicle combat has its own charm.

I know that in certain circumstances I will join the fight on foot. Those usually only being small fights where an extra infantry or two can cap the base.
  2. EWarren

The more I play, the more I see infantries as "special ops" - the first to breach a defended base are usually infantries hot-dropping in (AA keeps ESF away, and vehicles take too much risk driving into close proximity with infantries). They can perform C4, hack terminals, and generally cause problems all over an area.

Base assault usually takes couple stages:

1) Vehicles arrive but kept at a distance / behind covers due to AV, and Libs and ESFs perform hit and runs
    2) A Sundy or two arrive, and infantries prompt defenders to switch from all out AV / AA into a mix of AI / AV / AA
    3) Vehicles are now free to move out of cover / Libs / ESF take more risks by flying closer and staying around longer
    4) Exposed to the vehicles, defenders are quickly driven into spawn
    5) The attackers then sit around camping spawn...

The biggest threat to a ground vehicle is a C4 equipped infantry. AV tanks can make short work of vehicles, but a vigilant driver can usually minimize that risk. It is harder to defend against LA
  3. void666

You don't want to be blown up by vehicles? Play call of duty! Play counter strike! That's the answer.
    Yes, it's a player problem. Because the player is a cry baby that have no idead how to deal with vehicles.

Don't you have friends? Can't you join a squad? An outfit? Can't you use some team work?

Wich server do you play? I want to lolpod your ***.
    • Up x 1
  4. ent|ty

I fight lots of vehicles on foot all the time, and cocky ESFs who think they're going to come in and strafe me.

HA, flak armor, health packs, wicked dumbfire skillz, bring it on son.

This is a L2Play or L2OvercomeChallenges issue.

Oh, and maybe stay away from Zerg fights. That's all spam anyway and you die by default that way.
  5. Tasogie

hes a COD player, they dont understand anything but running round a square room, yelling bang bang at each other all day...Then telling everyone how touch they are over coms. Sadly SOE never listen to us, its his player type they pander to, so we are gonna be alot more destruction of good gaming in favor of their dross....
  6. DrunkenDoughnuts

On Waterson tonight there was a dude complaining about VS using so many maxes at Vanu Archives. In truth, there weren't any more VS maxes than you see TR or NC using, but he decided it was worth complaining about. I used to focus on heavy assault, but with the addition of shotguns, SMGs, and so many people using Allahu Akbar Assault to fly into groups and drop C4, I've switched to playing maxes more. You know what that is? That's adapting my playstyle. I was tired of getting killed so quickly, so I changed.

As for vehicles, the OP is the type of poster I'm constantly running over with my Magrider. The next base is 500+ meters away, but let's footzerg our way on over! YAY! Too bad we don't get blood textures because my bumper would be covered.
  7. Yasa

because infantry does the things that matter quicker than vehicles.
  8. Spookydodger

[IMG]
    It sounds like you are trying to write a hate-filled, personal perception tinted hate message against <vehicle drivers>. Would you like some help?

I have rarely found vehicles to be easy kill machines recently, certainly not for air when anyone in the area has decent AA. And most times vehicles seem rather powerless. Though even when the domes go up, the MAXes will still be there. Have you tried concussion grenade / smoke / flashbangs on them? MAXes can't see through smoke, and so are firing blind. Get a weapon that has a smoke-grenade underbarrel launcher, stick IR/NV on it, and then enjoy picking off very big mechanical teddy bears.
  9. usages wnbgrintooth

I don't understand this vehicle thing generally...I seldom have problems with them...do I get killed by them...yes...do I like it...not really but then I play Inf and I'm sure you don't like it when I pop you in the head either. It's just part of the game...learn to deal with it. When I see the HUGE tank zergs in a fight anymore I just redeploy now...no reason to even stay in the area...I know all that will happen is I will get run over by a friendly tank so I figure let them capture it themselves if they figure they really need that many vehicles in one area.

For the Op...quit trying to change the rules...there are always more than one fight to go to...if it is a vehicle zerg...just redeploy and let them have their fun. I personally would like them even more if I had a means of fighting back against them :D
  10. applepienation

What reason is there to NOT play as infantry? They are stronger then EVERY. OTHER. DAMN. THING. in the game.
  11. Jetlag

Would read again.
  12. JudgeDeath

Atleast on our server your lifetime is very limited in the massive fracture/striker and raven/phoenix spam you get 5 seconds drive from the spawnpad.

You actually live longer as infantry.
  13. HadesR

Adaptability .. I play 100% Infantry, It gives me the choices to either Snipe from a hill top , SMG suicide stealth, Fire a Nix from inside a spawn room, Repair a Max etc etc .. Whatever mood I'm in it offers something to match it.

Plus you can't beat being a grunt and feeling part of the actually battle, hands on in the thick of it .. Whether you make a difference or not it lets you feel your actions matter.
  14. Udnknome

I didn't know Vanu even had infantry. Thought it was all ZOE and vehicles with a few engies and medics that are too busy keeping up with healing everything to ever hold a weapon in their hands.

(this is basically a non-combatant, not really infantry)
  15. Rogueghost

Throughout beta and the first couple months of launch I was a tanker, I drove prowlers and farmed infantry and all that good stuff, because I only got 8 fps and i was damn near useless as infantry.

When I upgraded my rig I haven't touched vehicles since, infantry is at the top of the food chain right now, vehicles are only useful when you have enough friendly infantry to keep the rocket spam away.
  16. simmi1717

Lol get a load of this guy.
  17. VSDerp

more fun for me.
  18. Kazune

While I understand your frustration, its nowhere near as bad as it was pre-GU2. If this game had a destructible environment, Indar would be under the oceans of Auraxis because of the sheer amount of liberators with daltons/zephyrs, ground based HE cannons that could practically clear buildings with one shot, and of course everyone's faction flavored (lol)rocketpods. AA didn't do enough back then to fend off the Lib Swarms.
  19. NC_Edacyn

I blew up three prowlers tonight at QR.

Did just fine, used 4 shrieks, 1 veh grenade, and 2 c4 for the whole thing.