What Is A Good Long/Medium Range Weapons For HeavyAssault Vanu?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tortricat, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Tortricat

*What are some good long range/medium range weapons for Vanu Heavy but it doesn't let you edit the title....

I have been neglecting other classes, I only play Engineer and Heavy, Engineer when I am using a tank and if it dies I bail and use Eng until I die then spawn as a Heavy. Eventually I wanna play Light Assault and Infiltrator now but I probably won't until 2016 and I will probably stop playing Planetside 2 as much as I do now (4-5 hours a night 6-7 days a week) in Jan-March 2017.

So what is a good weapon? Long/Medium range is very important to me, close quarters is also but the Eidilon performed well enough at close range but it was best for Long and Medium range. I am sure any other weapon for the Heavy Assault Vanu would perform better at Shorter range compared to the Eidilon.
  2. JonboyX

I like the Flare. SVA88 I've heard is fairly good, but I'm working my way through an Orion/Flare combo at the moment.
    If I had to give it a likeness; maybe the EM6 on NC. I prefer the EM6, but that's maybe because I use it more.
  3. Eternaloptimist

Flare is not so bad and no less accurate at range than it is close up (from what I remember). SVA88 is crazy accurate, so good for longer ranges but you have to be very good at hitting small targets. You didn't specify LMGs so, have you considered the Eidolon battle rifle? Only semi auto but I have bagged a few enemies at very long range with one. I have heard about, but not used, Ursa and Polaris in discussions about long range Vanu weapons.

Sorry, this may not help much, just listing loads of possibilities - why not try them out in VR and see what you think? Don't forget the attachments like compensator (reduces vertical recoil) and fore grip (reduces horizontal recoil) if they are available - must haves for auto weapons used in anything other than CQC imho. For longer ranges I was using a 3.4x sight but it is a disadvantage for ADS shooting at closer range so I have reverted to 2x now.

Just remember.......never equip high velocity ammo it increases recoil for very little additional killing power.
  4. Tbone

Orion ,Orion, Orion, Flare ,Betlegeuse ,oh and Orion, Orion ,Orion.
  5. Migs

Theres cupcakes at the other table, now shoo and let the adults speak.

I'd go with SVA-88, but you can always go on to VR training and test a few guns there (But the targets arent moving)
  6. Peebuddy

The battle rifle can be really good since the Vs one doesn't have drop. Get the compensator/ hand rail and it's very good at spamming targets.

It's also usable by both the Engineer and the Heavy
  7. Mongychops

There is probably going to be a LMG balance pass in a month or so. So don't assume that whatever you buy will be the same in a month's time.

Vanu don't really have a great long range LMG, the Ursa is OK, and the NS-15M can sort of work, but they all have a little too much horizontal recoil. Then again, if you're playing right there isn't really that much combat at long range, and even fewer decisive 1v1s.

Medium range the SVA-88 is a solid option (that low FSRM makes it nice to burst), with the NS-15M also quite nice to use.
  8. hyperk2

Theoretically the Flare or the Ursa should be the guns to fit the role, but personally I prefer the SVA-88 over those. Realistically though, I switch the combat medic if I need to shoot something at range because I find basically every Vanu specific LMG to be meh at best for long ranges (as in the NS lmg is pretty good for range if you want to go that route).
  9. Tortricat

I already use the SVA-88 and Eidilon, I have more than 1000 kills with the Eidolon now. I like vareity and would like to use other good weapons for my heavy. What would be one that is better than the SVA-88 at long range and maybe as good or almost as good as the Eidolon on Medium/Short range but is also better than both of those at close range?
  10. Jawarisin

orion
  11. Tbone

Play Vanu more often and you will get the same idea.
  12. Stormsinger

The order in which I personally use LMGs, from shortest to longest:

Short / Room to room fighting: Orion - Great for tower fights when you want more reach then a shotgun, and corner peeking ADS encounters.

Short to Mid-range: (Anything from Room to room / across the path in biolabs): SVA-88 (I would rank this as the LMG I prefer to use as my for-everything primary. Whenever my platoon is moving around rapidly, This is my standard go-to gun, as it works quite well in almost every scenario. Suppressor for small fights, flash-hider for bigger fights where radar dots are everywhere anyway.

Close-ish to Midrange: Pulsar LSW with the magazine expansion or Flare, depending on whether I want a ginormous magazine / other attachment options.

Mid-long to Long range only: Ursa - I mainly use this for picking light assaults out of trees, or when I have semi-high ground in a huge, sprawling / open base type. In a pinch, you can countersnipe with this thing, but the slow fire rate makes it less good for most of the older base types - I mostly use the Ursa on Amerish.

If I had to pick one to suggest, I would go with the SVA-88 with HS/NV and a Reflex-of-your-choice scopes. Laser / Forward grip choice can go either way, but skip the High Velocity ammo, the extra kick / recoil isn't worth the trouble.