What exactly is the purpose of flinch?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by reydelchicken, Sep 16, 2014.

1. reydelchicken

Now, I know a lot of you people will say "immersion", but I fail to understand how a feature that makes it MUCH harder than it should be to fight 2v1, or kill someone that already started shooting you should be.

This is mostly noticeable when using scopes, without battle hardened the game is completely unplayable, unless you always get the first shot on people.

Even with battle hardened however, flinch still has a very apparent and intrusive effect when someone shoots at you or when their bullets get CLOSE to you (wtf soe?). So, I want to know, why does this even exist? And why does every single new game have these kind of stupid "features" that do nothing but go against you?

I'm hoping this stops being an issue once the new reflex sights come out, but.. does anyone know if scopes (4x crosshair, etc) will be included in the patch as well?
  2. Bassett

goes against you, not your opponent, it's called suppression and it's there because getting shot at isn't an easy thing to ignore. how difficult do you think it should be to fight 2v1 when you're already being fired on?
    • Up x 1
  3. Sandpants

To be annoying.
    And to give "realism" fanbois something to scream about.
  4. ColonelChingles

The point of flinch, from a gameplay mechanic standpoint, is to encourage two things:

1) Flanking. If you can flank the enemy and shoot at him first, the enemy is much less likely to turn around and kill you because his shots will be wild. This is even effective against a group of enemies, and rewards those who can position themselves so they can get the first shot off.

2) Suppression. Which is the entire point of LMGs. You can suppress enemies by shooting close to them, which in turn prevents them from accurately engaging you and friendly forces. This allows a greater chance for your buddies to charge the enemy across open ground with minimal casualties. Fills the same role that flash bangs and smoke grenades do.

I think flinch mechanics are a perfectly reasonable thing to have in the game. If anything they're not strong enough, and things like explosions should send people scrambling.
    • Up x 5
  5. reydelchicken

Isn't the DPS disadvantage, and need to hit mostly headshots, and quickly switch targets to win 2v1 fights enough?

And when it comes to suppression, that's where vehicles, and grenade spam come in. Or simply popping domes when people show their heads?

When talking about flanking, getting the first surprise shot is still a very big advantage even in flinch doesn't exist. The only thing (IMO) flinch does it make fights random and inconsistent, like rolling a die every time you didn't get the first shot.

Guess the newer games get, the more random and spammy they'll get :/
  6. Sandpants

Yep.
    Its one thing to have deep complexity.

It's completely another thing to simply have a difficult game, which is littered with poor animations and syncing, weird slow downs and the like.
    They could have increased the hitbox for bunnyhopping. Instead they made it so that you slowdown like you are in super glue.

There is plenty advantages to flanking and enough ways to win a 2v1. But they chose to supplement it with an intrusive mechanic that screws you over before you even know it.
  7. TheScavenger101

I think the feeling of missing shots from flinching is slightly if not a lot enhanced by the, current, random hit detection as well. I don't seem to remember having an issue with flinching a while back, so unless they increased it lately I'd blame most of the lottery kill system on the hit detection.
  8. Bassett

It comes down to core design principles, if the devs are going for a CS style twitch shooter, things like suppression shouldn't be in, if it's more of a milsim approach you don't want guys 720ing into rooms and getting the upper hand on a squad covering entrances.
  9. KnightCole

Flinch has been seriously lessened in this game. It used to be next to impossible to fire back due to flinch. Its almost not noticeable now.
  10. Kriegson

Which is good and bad I suppose. You don't want to completely take away player agency by making them utterly incapable of fighting back (Via really bad flinch) though it will reward the player who flanked properly or got the first shot off and make them less likely to lose due to latency or other elements.
  11. JonboyX

"Much harder than it should be"

That's your opinion on a game mechanic I would suggest. A bit like criticising the level of gravity, recoil modelling on the guns, and even bullet speed.

To answer the question: it's there to penalize you for not being as quick on the draw as your opponent. It's there to reward combined arms; i.e. a team mate is supporting his/her buddy by being alongside them. It's there as a token gesture towards realism whereby being hit by a bullet would seriously put you off your aim.

I'm curious to know why of all the mechanics in the game, this one has come under scrutiny! Maybe back near release (did you play near release?) when flinch was the same for all bullet damage and TR got a massive advantage ADS ... but not so much now it's a modest flinch proportional to bullet damage.
    • Up x 1
  12. KnightCole

But really high *** flinch like it was, used to be the biggest IWIN button ive ever seen lol....almost like the supression mechanic in battlefield 2's Project reality mod...every time 1 bullet gets near you it gives you the conc nade effect x1000....
  13. Kriegson

yeah and that doesn't really make sense on any level. Getting flanked and killed without being able to react is frustrating enough for a player. Don't want to basically give the shooter equivalent of a stunlock to boot whenever they simply get shot as well.

Even from a "realism" standpoint, these are immortal soliders who die constantly on a day to day basis. I doubt they would be effected much by supressive fire.