"We're Just a PS4 Beta"

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Blarg20011, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Blarg20011

Can someone please explain this lamentation to me? I personally have no problem with this, with nearly a year of PC "beta testing" the PS4 version will be far better than the PC version was at launch, and a PS4 launch will bring far more players in, players who will spend money, allowing the game to keep running and improving. It's really a win-win situation. Maybe I'm missing something, but I really don't see many downsides to this.
    • Up x 1
  2. Delnar_Ersike

It's because people didn't actually get what they were expecting. When people started plopping down their cash for subscriptions and the like, they weren't expecting the game to still run poorly on most systems 9 months after launch, and for SOE to monetize what is essentially still an unfinished and unplayable product.

The fact that SOE only now has started to work on what has been a problem since the private beta days (~1.5 years) due to realizing that the game won't be playable on the PS4 in its current state is just an added sting. I'm not even going to bring up the fact that this is probably the worst time to do so with some of the biggest game-breaking stuff left unbalanced (AV Mana turrets, lock-on rockets especially the Striker, AV Harassers, spawn room shields, etc.) and some of the most useful features in the Roadmap since ever (eg. Resource Revamp) being pushed down.
    • Up x 3
  3. Iridar51

Did you just imply that there are more PS4 players than there are PC players? BWAHAHAHAHAHA
  4. Blarg20011

Uhh no, I implied that there would be a major influx of new players when PS4 launched.

@Delnar
    I guess I can understand that, not really the way I feel but I can certainly see how someone else would.
  5. Sebastien

The advantage of a console is that you buy a box and then you can play every game that comes out without the hassle of upgrading the Hardware, trouble shooting, or wondering why the game keeps crashing.
    There are more Casual gamers than there are Hardcore gamers, and Casual gamers don't want to deal with all the problems that come with PC gaming, they would rather pop a disc in and play their game.
    • Up x 1
  6. Mr_Giggles

It's just another insult that the simpletons use to express their anguish and disdain because the developers don't make the game their way.
    • Up x 2
  7. Sordid

I think a big part of it is that people generally don't like being told that they're unimportant. I think it's clear from the state the game was in at launch as well as the state that it's in now that SOE weren't and aren't treating the PC version of PS2 seriously. Which is bad in and of itself but not all that unusual. But for SOE to then go "oh shoot, let's drop everything in favor of catering to this other market over the people who have paid us money until now"? That's just rubbing it in.

More to the point, they're paying SOE for being their playtesters. It's a wonderful arrangement for SOE when their workforce not only requires no pay but actually even pays them for the privilege. Less so for the players involved.
    • Up x 1
  8. Iridar51

Fixed that. And buying new console isn't hardware upgrade?

The current generation of consoles is basically a PC with Linux on it. I would agree with you if consoles really had some special hardware, designed for gaming, but that's just not the case.

Maybe games undergo more extensive testing for consoles, but there are also ten times less games for them. And that's because every game release is controlled by Sony. Imagine if every PC game release would have to be monitored by intel or microsoft, sold to you by them.

And no backwards compatibility. So if you want to play older games too, you need to keep the old console, unlike with PC, where you sell older components and still find a way to play older games. Not even mentioning that PCs can be used for everything, not only games.

I do agree with your point that for some simpler people consoles may be more desirable, but they're just worse in every aspect.

Oh, my mistake then =) Too bad we will be playing on separate servers, would be fun shooting all those "FPS-s are playable with game pads!" people xD
    • Up x 3
  9. Blarg20011

No probs, although I do disagree with you on one aspect, consoles are a hell of a lot better for sitting down on a couch with friends and playing fun, casual shooters or puzzle games.
  10. Iridar51

Yeah, I didn't thought about that. Probably because
    http://4.bp.************/-eszw344IOC4/URZNALfLEEI/AAAAAAAAAIc/W4lGmQ7h730/s320/ForeverAlone.png
  11. nukularZ

I would have agreed, like 5 years ago. Almost none of my friends play consoles anymore. I don't either. I can't remember the last time I turned on my 360. I personally just can't get over how incredibly dated every game looks and plays on them. I do have a PS4 pre-ordered. But given its specs, it's already starting way behind high end gaming PCs. BF4 was already announced to run 720P on it.
  12. Blarg20011

Well, I don't play my 360 anymore either, but that doesn't change the fact that consoles are still better for the activity described.
  13. Pikachu

My guess is there will be enough ps4 players to have good battles on Indar for 1 server.
  14. Van Dax

I only need a console for smash bros, that game is ******* timeless.
  15. Pikachu

I had pikachu as favorite.
  16. Van Dax

I'm sure you did, I'm sure you did.;)

bloody lightning bolt spam. (pika chhhuuuu pika chhhuuuuuu.......):mad:
  17. Drsexxytime

Quit telling the truth and how you feel about the game, it's "rude" to the devs. Yes, I was told that. Good stuff.
  18. Blarg20011

Oh seriously, this again? Being told that your post was rude had nothing to do with the actual content, it was the entitled and snotty attitude that you phrased it in. Chill out.
  19. THUGGERNAUT

it's no "downside" if you believe in SOE's lip-service. if you've ever played an SOE game in the past, you'll know that most of their claims are garbage. the developers have been patronizing us regarding optimization since launch, and magically, when the PS4 launch date is announced, Smed rides in and declares the game performance is "unacceptable." as if performance hadn't been going the wrong way since last November.

only the naïve believed that this was anything more than a PS4 paid beta before the launch announcement. and now that it's common knowledge, you still believe SOE is going to follow through with all their promises? wake up fools, you've all been paid beta testers for the forgelight engine from the beginning. any money you've been giving SOE is icing on the cake compared to the money they're going to make on EQNext on the PC and PS4.
    • Up x 2
  20. Blarg20011

I see your point, but if you hate the game and its developers so much why do you continue to play and/or post on the forums?