Welcome to InfiltratorSide2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by kadrin, Feb 27, 2016.

1. kadrin

Its only me, or after HA nerf there is lot more infiltrators?

Emp nades hitting throught wall, invisibility, OHK potential, and my fav - radar called motion spotter. And vehicle hacking - development in progress.
    Maybe give them C4 and shotguns too?

Any stats how many ppl plays infiltrators?
    Any ideas how to counter them?
  2. customer548

:D
    • Up x 1
  3. FateJH

Shoot them.
    • Up x 11
  4. Hegeteus

What HA nerf? Heavy Assault got much in exchange for a slight reduction in damage absorbtion
    • Up x 1
  5. voidreaperxx5

Lol the lower hp, poor performance of the cloak in cqc-medium range, the difficulty of those OHKs on any target not sitting still, the fact that your shield can still protect you from ohk on any sniper besides the extreme distance (RAMS 50 and other faction variants)...Infil is a fun class to play, but, believe it or not, it does take just a bit of skill to be proficient at the class. Unless, of course, you're talking about infils who snipe from 500m away at AFK players.
    • Up x 1
  6. ElricVIII

My main issue with the class is that it almost entirely revolves around farming kills. They basically have a wallhack built into their kit, along with OHK potential from a cloak 100+ meters away. Don't even get me started on Stalkers with the Commissioner. Even if I don't get killed by infils too often, the fact that the best counterplay is other infils makes that portion of the game kind of crap.

There's a reason that you see so many new players taking potshots from halfway to the next base; even if they only get 1 kill per 20 shots taken, there is no risk except from other infils.

Additionally, the fact that infils get OHK potential means that tactically advancing and trying to avoid attention via stillness will end up with you getting headshot by someone you don't even have a chance to see. It really sucks the fun out of fights when they slowly devolve into more infils to counter the infils that are countering the original infils.

Just to be clear, I don't think the class is OP. I think it just sucks the fun out of the game by its very nature.
    • Up x 1
  7. voidreaperxx5

Fair point, coming from someone who used to play HA constantly until I made the switch to infil, I said the same thing. It makes everyone just keep strafing rather than taking a tactical, kneeled approach to combat due to how often staying still gets you killed.

That said, there are many other methods of farming kills than infil, and they're often more effective for average to bad players. (see libs, tanks, maxes, etc.) If you look at an infil you'll usually find their KDR has a negative correlation with their SPM, meaning that while it's true they can sit back 500m away and do nothing but sit there and shoot at every afk player or person typing they see, but they'll have a poor SPM and cert up very slowly.

They're technically 'farming' kills, but I could get far more kills (albeit with more deaths) in the same amount of time with any other class. This only applies to long range snipers, though. I think medium and CQC snipers (I'm prolly biased) require more skill as you have more threats around you and enemies can return fire with greater ease with their weapons not requiring the accuracy of your own. Most infils you see, however, are unfortunately the ones you described who don't trust their aim well enough to do anything but wait for someone to sit still. It sucks, but there are many other infil playstyles that don't revolve around 'farming' kills away from the fighting.
  8. ElricVIII

Right, which is why I don't think the class is OP, just annoying. I honestly feel that they don't really contribute meaningfully to the whole territory-capture dynamic that this game wants. I have tried playing infil, I even rolled up a fresh NC char to put all of my levelup bonuses into it in order to quickly get a feel for the class with a bolt-action rifle. I found that it was insanely boring and I felt entirely unproductive. On my main char I play a mix of HA/Medi/Engi, along with a fully outfitted sunderer that I pretty much always set up. Compared to what I can do with those classes -pushing points and stopping armor columns- infil pales in effectiveness. However, this doesn't mean it's not detrimental to the game experience.
  9. breeje

as a CQC smg infiltrator and CQC stalker i can say to you all i am helping the team
    my targets are the engi's shooting tanks, HA with rocket launchers and snipers
    i will not hold back to kill that engi who is repairing that max
    running to kill that thank driver who got out to repair his tank (and wait for him to come back to his tank) :D
    none of this is boring to me

infil is not OP playing infil is hard, no other class will die as fast as a CQC infil
    some times i get killed over and over to get where i want, the center of the enemy action where they feel safe
    but when i succeed to get there it's so rewarding
    now this is the time you think we are OP, when we kill you out of nothing
    when the hate tells and the crying comes
    everyone ho thinks infiltrating is easy needs to play the class for a couple of weeks

for the long range sniper is my opinion divided
    they need to be in the game but we all hate to get killed by them
    i don't have a solution for these long range snipers
    maybe a cloak for snipers (easy to see) and one for smg infils (hard to see), i really don't know the answer
    • Up x 1
  10. Eternaloptimist

I play mostly engineer with infil as a second choice, depending on the type of battle. I have learned the hard way that snipers and stalkers are a good counter to engineers using support weapons, which helps their faction. I've done the same to enemy engineers on turrets as well. In CQC I have stalked and killed someone then waited for a medic to come and rezz - killing medics also helps my faction.

On the other hand, I have learned that a reasonably well prepared and alert enemy makes being a stalker a dangerous job. Motion spotters deployed, AI mines strategically placed, that radar thing on vehicles, Dark light flashlights and simply people who are aware of cloak distortion all require the stalker to be careful and patient. Most of my stalker kills are people who ignore basic precautions or who get target fixation.

I have sniped, and been sniped, at long range when attacking a base. From this I have learned that certain approaches to a target can be effectively denied by one or two snipers. So people either keep dying or they are channelled into other avenues of attack, where allies can mount a blocking defence.

Tbh the new generation of super accurate burst carbines and the Blackhand (not to mention the AV mana turret cheesing infantry) can do pretty much the same thing at ranges not far short of a CQC sniper rifle. Snipers aren't the only people to be scared of if you stand still.

Sure, I occasionally see someone miles away who thinks he is safe, or who likes to pop up over a ridge repeatedly to spam off a few rockets or spray some shots instead of closing on the objective...........well Mr Rams.50 12X says "whose fault is that?"

Infiltrator - the thinking man's soldier :D
    • Up x 1
  11. TherealScrable

If you seriously think that Infiltrators are there to farm kills, then I don't know... You are definetly not right.

I am someone who uses the Infiltrator class a lot with proper equipment. I have the SMG Infiltrator which I use for CQC and the Stalker Infiltrator which I use for recon and sabotage and also if I am bored and want to see a group of 20 people searching after me.
    Sometimes I am also using the sniper rifle, although I have mostly stopped, since CQC is far more fun and also harder. Also calling the Infiltrator OP... Wow. Maybe you should let some of that Steam out before writing something like that. We all know how it is being killed by something unexpected, but it is part of the game and I seriously do not see any balancing issue.
    Actually I could also say that the Light Assault is OP; since it can fly and shoot.
  12. Khrin

Planetside 1 had virtually no sniping (what there was was essentially a 3 shot kill anyway) and in a game as open as this it was so much the better for it.

Finding sniping in all it's call of duty 'glory' was one of my biggest dissapointments in the crossover to ps2.
    • Up x 1
  13. Taemien

One of the least played classes. Heavies, Engineers, and Medics still dominate.

Get good and shoot them. They're not hard to deal with.
    • Up x 1
  14. Pelojian

If you want to counter infiltrators maxed spotter works well so you can spot them while they think they are cloaked and safe so you can gun them down or throw an EMP first to make them visible.

If you know they are going for an objective you can lay down some mines to try and bag them,

if you have trouble seeing cloaked infiltrators (even hunter cloakers) then i'd suggest using darklight when they are being a pita.
  15. Wargeist

Very little of my time on infiltrator involves even carrying a bolt-action sniper rifle. If I'm not going stalker with my Repeater or Blackhand then I'm using my KSR-35 semi-auto sniper or my Trap-M1. Even with the KSR I'll be in fairly close range, sometimes even CQC. The Trap set to 3-round burst is a deadly machine for CQC ambushes. So I'm always IN the fight as an infiltrator. Laying claymores, hacking/counter hacking, flanking/counter flanking, shooting faces (and backs, lots of shooting people in the back :p), spotting...

Speaking of spotting, one of the most powerful abilities of the infiltrator, in my opinion of course, is that of "battle director". You can cloak, indefinitely, from positions that give great overviews of a battle. That, in conjunction with your motion dart gun, gives an infiltrator the ability to direct his comrades to the places they need to go. See a Sunderer sneak around back of the base? Motion dart. A stream of bad guys nobody else can see coming at your flank? Motion dart. Spot another infiltrator heading to the point? Motion dart. Your bloodthirsty, cert hungry, and generally rabid comrades will swarm to those little red dots.

Infiltrators aren't just snipers. They can be the silent conductors of a battle.

*Forgot to add: The only counter to a good infiltrator is superior observation. In all likelihood there is a stalker infiltrator sitting next to you right now. Out in the open, in the middle of your comrades, where you think you're safe, gathering intel for the enemy, waiting for the proper time to strike.

Laying your own traps doesn't hurt, although I suspect a lot of infiltrators run with the EOD implant.
    • Up x 1
  16. Who Garou

I have only heard rumors about this, and I certainly hope that is what they are.

First off, infiltrators shouldn't be able to hack anything that I spent nanites to obtain.

Allowing Infiltrators to hack vehicles makes them nanite generators.

They steal the nanites you spent and use them themselves. Even worse, what if they turn them over to another teammate and go for another one to do the same thing with it.

it's just wrong all the way around.

Infiltrators don't have AV mines, AV Grenades, or C-4 because they are an anti-personnel class and not an anti-vehicle class.

Are Infiltrators getting access to the Archer as well?

Wasn't giving them a sniper pistol (blackhand) to circumvent the lack of being able to have a primary bad enough?
  17. Nehlis

for cqcfiltrators, flashlight on a pump action shotgun. Yes extended mags are better for any other situation, but if you hate infiltrators so very much...
  18. Rebelgb

THIS. I hate Inf's. Really hate them. I stopped playing my HA because of Inf's. I switched to Engi and play primarily that. As an Engineer I have personally supported a platoon of tanks and Max's to victory where if I had not been there, we would have given up the objective (this is a great feeling by the way and its why the game still holds value for me). I have been in fights where I was trying to remain conspicuous while supporting tanks and max's only to have a few skilled Inf's pick me off and interrupt my ability to support my team. While it upset me, it did occur to me that this was the ONLY answer my opponents had against my maxed out repair abilities as an engineer. A few of me repairing tanks and maxs with no answer would surely turn the tide of battle to one side with little or no recourse. While that sounds fun, its not fair. So its obvious the Infiltrator servers a pretty important role. At least the ones who play them for team play and not for personal cert glory.
    • Up x 1
  19. breeje

i am sorry you feel this way and i can understand why you hate us
    but like you say you are important to the fight, is it not normal that i go for the spine of the beast before i try and cut of the head
    infils are the hard counter to repair engi's so don't feel bad we only do our work to support the team
    if i can give you a small tip: flashlight on a high RPM primary and place a spitfire to overlook your position
    only i can't understand why you can't counter a infil as HA, they are the hardest to kill
    (pres F, turn around and kill the stupid infil)
  20. Invictorum

As someone who plays Infil most of the time, I can say that we definately have our weaknesses. Did you know Infiltrators have 100 less shields than every other class? In a straight up bullet hose-fest, using the same weaponry, an infil will always lose to any other class.

And honestly? This game is supposed to keep its tactical element. A couple snipers on a ridge taking out your engineers? They're providing a strategic and tactical play to affect the battle. Dont like them doing that? Stop them with counter snipers, or some air. You'd honestly be shocked how many snipers dont pay attention to the air and any A2G ESF's in the general area.