Weapon check - Auto scout rifles (SOAS-20)

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Lazaruz, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Lazaruz

A while back I bought the SOAS-20 automatic scout rifle in a daily sale. Finally had some time to make a short overview of the weapon. To my understanding all the rifles (Stalker, SOAS, Artemis) hold the same stats across different factions, so this can also be carried over to VS and NC. As always, I appreciate opinions, constructive criticism and advice on the "review" format.
    I make these clips just for fun, but it doesn't mean I don't want to improve :)

• Up x 2
  2. redsevenski

I might have got this wrong, but I think the Vanu variant (Artemis) has no bullet drop and is much quieter when suppressed. I doubt bullet drop has much effect on these weapons (I certainly don't struggle from any bullet drop affects) but do find the SOAS annoyingly load when suppressed.

Generally though, good video - I agree with most of your points. I know load outs are often down to personal preference but I prefer the 2x Reflex and Suppressor, although a couple of guys in my outfit swear by the compensator. I'd agree that the forward grip is a must.
  3. Lazaruz

True, that's why I don't even bother with the suppressor. The Artemis is silent as a mouse compared to the SOAS.
  4. DeathSparx

Shout-out to the vanu who sacrificed his life to save his friend... xD :)

I think I might take a look at the ASR once more since I have it collecting dust in my Vanu and NC weapon lockers but I'll probably end up comparing it to the NS-7 and seeing which suits my style a bit more.
  5. Rhumald

This is one of my favorite "in your face, I have skill" weapons, just because it's one of those weapons that really highlights the use of good tactics. I absolutely hated the weapon when I first started playing because, like you said, it's easy to get outgunned, especially when trying to infiltrate a small base, but I have come to adore it in the larger bases that have room to be sneaky.

My only complaint is that they're rather loud, even with a suppressor, compared to the relatively small damage output each bullet has.
  6. Stinneyt

SOAS-20 is by far the worst gun I've ever had the misfortune to use.
  7. zaspacer

I enjoyed the Review. :)

One bit of advice is to make sure to keep the footage on you using the gun you are featuring. That session of you hacking and using an AV Base Turret kinda derailed the visual connection for a bit.

Agreed, the Stalker and SOAS are both extremely loud when suppressed. Whereas the Artemis suppressed is one of the quietest guns in the game.

One change I feel the ASR's need is for the NC and TR versions to have their sound when Suppressed reduced in loudness. The ASR is a weapon that relies on positioning and surprise to set-up optimum kills in close to mid range, and the current loudness of the SOAS and Stalker works against this. I think the NC and TR ASR loudness with Suppressor should be set to a volume comparable with the SMGs. And leave the Artemis loudness alone. :)

Yup, Artemis has no bullet drop. Both the SOAS and Stalker do.

The 3 things that I noticed this affect:
    1) Artemis is GREAT for shooting at hovering or slow moving ESFs. I don't know what kind of sound they make when they hit, but ESFs almost always freak out and run when I hit them with the Artemis. I'm thinking it must sound like the impact sound from a much more lethal weapon.
    2) SOAS and Stalker bullet drop on aimed Bodyshots will start to hit the targets Legs at much longer distances. Legshots do 90% damage of a Bodyshot, which changes the #-shots-to-kill from 8 to 9. But we're talking much farther distances of around ~70 meters, which is way outside most engagement ranges for this gun.
    3) The Artemis can be used to harass enemies at any range you can see them. Because it has no bullet drop, you can just point and click single shots with perfect accuracy. You are not likely to kill anyone this way (unless they are AFK) since it takes 8 shots with each fired as singles, but it is handy to disrupt an opponent like a Rocket HA and make them break for cover.

I have only used the NS-7 a limited amount, but if you use an ASR style Loadout (Forward Grip, Scope, etc.), it feels similar to the ASR. The NS-7 kinda sits between the SMGs and the ASRs: slower TTK in CQC than SMGs, but faster TTK in CQC and much farther range Hipfire than ASR. NS-7 also has more accurate Aimed Fire out to farther ranges than the SMGs (though Cyclones is pretty good), but it doesn't have the precision, range, or bullet speed of the ASRs. Vs. the ASR, NS-7 also has a slightly larger Magazine (even adjusting for #-of-bullets-to-kill), is louder than the Artemis but quieter than SOAS/Stalker when suppressed, firing sound doesn't betray faction of the user, Hipfire movement penalty is x0.75 and the ASR is x0.5, and NS-7 can equip Soft Point Ammo and has the option for Extended Mag.
  8. CaptainAmeda

It needs to be improved. I love using it and it works good, but on paper, it's a joke.

This weapon needs a velocity of 580m/s
    This weapon could use the advanced forgrip
    This weapon needs a slower ADS bloom.
  9. lilleAllan

You sound finnish. Am I right? :)
  10. LownWolfe

he was at the end there when he Finnish'd, ba dum tish
  11. zaspacer

What would the effect of these changes be? Higher Velocity would help with moving targets? What else?

In contrast, the changes I think the ASR needs are:
    1) change the loudness of the Stalker and SOAS with Suppressor to be quieter (on level with the SMGs with Suppressor)
    This will help with maintaining up the surprise, precision kills the gun is most effective at.
    2) improve the default Hipfire from 5 meters to 10 meters
    The gun struggles to deal with opponents from 6-15 meters (bad Hipfire, too close for Aiming well), which the range of the gun makes a frequent type of engagement. The ASRs TTK would still be slower than SMGs and most other weapons in these ranges, so it would still be inferior in CQC.
    3) increase the Magazine Size from 24-28
    It's far too easy to auto lose with the ASR (gun runs out of Ammo before target is dead) when a target moves or accuracy otherwise slips or the opponent is running Nanoweave or is an HA running Shield. 28 Mag size still keeps the gun limited to 1 kill per Magazine Reload, but it addresses the Power Creep of Nanoweave making targets need more shots to kill and helping keep the gun from its easy auto lose from normal mishaps in routine engagements.
    • Up x 1
  12. Lazaruz

You would be correct assuming that. Is it that obvious? :D
  13. lilleAllan

Haha yes, it's very easy to hear. But you fins have the best English accent in Scandinavia/the North, so it's only a good thing :)
  14. Ttariel

Auto scouts are the unwanted kids of all the weapon types.

Bloom is insane
    Bullets are slow
    Hipfire acts like a 6 year old on crack
    Reload takes longer then a knifefight with a walrus
    And the mag is way to small.

It acts like a carbine for longer ranges, but damage and aim are way to bad for this, for close combat the mag and speed are not funny anymore and for middle ground bad acts of both sides slap you in the face like its a sausage slop chop party.

Fun to use but not on par with most weapons.
  15. LownWolfe

Top of my list of things to see before I die
  16. Lucidius134

The SOAS from back when they didn't want to give Infils weapons that were too good at CQC because it tread on other factions roles. It was also introduced after shotguns were removed from them IIRC so it was a sort of bandaid for removing that. It's always been worse performance wise than any carbine. The stats all make sense with all the above in mind.

And then SMG's.

Probably better off with the NS-7 at those ranges than the ASR's.
  17. KnightCole

Umm, its an Infiltrator rifle, not a machinegun. As if the SMG isnt crazy enough.

Ive actually died to these in the last few days.
  18. cyb_

Does not change the fact that there is hardly any weapons that is worse than the SOAS. ;)
  19. KnightCole

Not calling them good lol. But it is capable of killing people, somehow...I never really fear em much but damn...

Of course, idk if the Stalker or Impetus are the NC SOAS equivalents....sooo...lol maybe ive mis-ID'd the weapons.
  20. redsevenski

Stalker is the NC's equivalent of the SOAS.