Wall & Cliff walking: Bug, exploit or intended?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by badname02, Dec 11, 2012.

1. badname02

First of all I apologize if this has been asked before but I just had to:

Is it ''legal'' to do this? For those of you who don't know; just like in Skyrim and other games you can walk alongside ANY wall\cliff that isn't 100% vertical. This basically means that you should never die from falling, because you can prevent ''sliding'' down ANY hill by sprinting+sidewards strafing forward + the direction the wall\cliff is at.

You can travel enormous distances like this, basically circling down a mountain with almost vertical walls or even just alternate from left to right (like skiing) without ever taking fall damage. This can also take you places you normally would hardly get to without jetpacks. Drop yourself on a mountain as a infiltrator: ski down to a nice sniper nest (whilst taking no fall damage, which would've otherwise totally obliterated you) and have fun.

I don't mind these kinds of ''unrealistic'' ''bugs'' at all. But I'd like to know if this is seen as exploiting or not. It's too simple to NOT figure out how to do this basically... It doesn't make you go through walls it doesn't make you unkillable or give any real unfair advantage at all, but I'd just like to be sure!

Any input?

I just assume everyone knows that I'm talking about here... If it's not I can make a YouTube vid showing what I mean.
    • Up x 1
  2. Skillet

Its neither a bug nor exploiting. Have fun :)
  3. NetSlayer

Yeah I'd assume it's legal but not what any game developer intended.
    The way to fix this is for the feet to match the level of the ground and allow the knees to rise/bend to accomodate
    Then they would need some conditional loop to check if the angle is viable for balance.

Assuming the character does not try to crouch while navigating hills, here are some examples:

When walking down a steep hill, you naturally lean back and your feet are pointing down the hill. Once the feet point down a certain level you begin to slide. The knees move minimally, in short quick movements.

When walking uphill naturally, you lean forward and you lift your knees higher when stepping. Your feet might be angled up towards the hill for better traction. Knee movement is slow and controlled.

I think if one decides to crouch on a hill, they should instantly begin a safe as possible descent by glissade.
  4. badname02

Haha okay well that's nice to hear because while it's extremely situational it really does open up some options occasionally... It also works with jetpacks: you can often ''stick'' to a random wall and just hangt there like a freakin' alien untill you drop on someone's neck or you wait for yout jetpacks\shield to regenerate and continue your journey...

The big pole in the middle of amp stations for instance you can stick to those walls. Your screen will stutter, but you'll be able to stick there to escape from people or jump on them when they don't expect it or whatever. Nice to hear this is an ''unintended mechanic'' basically =p
  5. Caterpiller

First of all I must say that I love your nick it made me rofl.

And to the point, it's okay as it is because you cant walk up a stiff cliff ingame and sliding down a cliff isn't that much of a problem?
    Think of sliding down a snow hill.. well you got my point. Although you're right, it's pretty odd.
    • Up x 1
  6. badname02

I'm not talking about sliding =p I hope you all got that. That's exactly my point. Take a mountain and start at the top (droppod). Now do as I described. You can literally make about 100 perfect circles around the mountain, whilst ''sliding'' from left to right or right to left. If you don't do what I said: You'll just slide down and either die or survive, depending on how fast youre falling\sliding.

Let's say you've got a base here with amountain next to one of the towers\walls: (wall+towers)X--XO(mountain)

You can't get over the walls of X because of whatever reason.
    You can however if you can get up the mountain a bit use this ''glitch'' to slide across the steep side of the mountain (whilst maintaining heigth, you're not going down at all) and slide over the wall easily.

May sound a bit strange but I'll do a video later. I haven't seen anybody but myself use this so far...

If this IS wat you're talking about: sorry I misinterpreted your message =p

You all should try it if you haven't: You can easily by-pass entire armies of the enemy simply to start sniping them from behind: They don't expect infantry to sprint on 89 degrees slopes 10's of meters above them: they'll never ever see you. Just don't stop to watch around: you'll fall and die.

Short video incoming.

Used a LA unit so I could jetpack down if **** went wrong. It did. Can't run past ''corners'' only round edges. But you'll still get the point I hope... Even works on some walls (!) =p Not many though, but almost all mountains. The steep parts only.
  7. badname02

Watch it.
    Used a LA unit so I could jetpack down if **** went wrong. It did. Can't run past ''corners'' only round edges. But you'll still get the point I hope... Even works on some walls (!) =p Not many though, but almost all mountains. The steep parts only.

Usually I travel over the enemies head\under their airplanes like this or over walls in certain bases... Or to get to ''hard to get to'' sniper nests... Works like a charm =p But if this is intended: hurray!

Clip is a bit short and sometimes it ''bugs'' and you slide anyways. But this is sometimes very sneaky and nice to use from time to time =p First attempt went better. The corner I bump in to drops you instantly.

It's almost like ''surfing'' in Counter-Strike for those of you who played that...
  8. LucidSteel

You're playing a game where hover tanks, jet packs and suicide are all valid forms of travel, but basic climbing/repelling rope isn't a piece of gear. I think climbing a mountain using these mechanics are fine.

*edited for spelling
  9. Caterpiller

That looks like some matrix wall-walking or something, didn't know you can preform such a "perfect" walk on such a stiff cliff..
    Well I don't think developers would put fixing this in the top priorities list if they will ever think about fixing it.. Well have to deal with it, although again- there are glitches/bugs way more annoying than this thinggy
  10. Warna Bayangan

Sometimes you can't climb a slope and it's not steep at all... so I guess this is part of the mechanic to compensate for that... or not... dunno really.
  11. badname02

Totally agree with the points y'all are making. This isn't game breaking or anything it's actually quite fun to ''abuse'' sometimes. It won't win you a base, but it can net you some kills and annoy the enemy ;)

I agree ;D

Try it sometime. But you HAVE to sprint forward + left or right depending on which side the wall\cliff is... If you stop sprinting: you slide and fall. You can also use this if you play heavy assault or infiltrator and need to get down inside a cliff from a nearly vertical wall. As soon as the wall goes over vertical you, of course, can't do this trick. You can simply ''let go'' for a sec, turn around 180 degrees and repeat, thus really quickly going down a steep hill without taking damage.