Wait, what? Mid air ADS again?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Iridar51, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Iridar51

This is probably unintended, but we now once again can ADS while jet packing. CoF seems to be reducing to sprint value while doing that (from 7 degrees to 5 degrees). Not a huge difference, but WTF?
  2. Iridar51

Apparently, this only works with auraxium weapons. I only have TRAC-Shot, so can't confirm anything else.
  3. lawn gnome

sounds like a bug. although some of the new weapons have special crazy features, so it might be intended for that weapon.
  4. Corezer

I notice I can throw aerial grenades again.

they don't shut off my jetpack
  5. Iridar51

Still sometimes shut off mine, so this bug isn't fixed yet.
    • Up x 1
  6. Botji

Its not a bug, its a law in physics.
    If you imagine yourself in space, if you throw something you will be "pushed" away the other direction, its just like that.

The PS2 jetpacks are so weak that the force from throwing an object completely cancels out the force from the jetpack.

Yes this is a jab at the jetpacks lackluster performance :oops:
  7. Iridar51

This effect depends on the relations of masses. Grenades bounce like crazy, so we can assume they're really light.
    And if grenades' mass were comparable to soldier's mass, he wouldn't be able to generate enough force to push himself off the grenade.

Besides, the bug is that Jet Pack gets disabled, not player pushed away.

You can sort of see that moment in my latest video, Armistice Day, when there's a bunch of NC, and there's "certs" pictures and "ding" sound. I throw grenade, then fall down on some box, because Jet Pack bugged out.

I think I even had a couple of humiliating moments when I crashed to death because my jet pack refused to work after grenade throw.
  8. lawn gnome

actually bounce has almost nothing to do with total mass and is more a function of mass vs. material consistence.

clearly your issue is due to the fact that the jet pack is actually powered by your grenades using them as a sort of fuel cell.
  9. Iridar51

The size of the grenade is fixed, and small. If the grenade had high mass, it would mean it has high density. It's not possible for dense objects to bounce well, is it?
    Right, and the small time frame where jet pack gets disabled is because jet pack reconfigures itself to a backup power supply :p
  10. lawn gnome

it depends on the material it is made of. less dense objects do tend to bounce more because there are more materials that allow them to, but dense objects can bounce if the object and/or what it's colliding with have the right consistency. it's a kinda complex physics subject.

here is an example! liquid water hitting a metal plate vs. water ice hitting the same plate. the liquid water will splash (a fairly extreme form of bouncing) and the ice chunk may bounce some, but the solid crystalline structure generally resists flexing and rebounding. ice is by nature less dense and that is why it floats on top of water. maybe not the best example because it is a solid vs. a fluid but it's the best i can come up with at the moment.
  11. Iridar51

Hmm. Perhaps. I always sucked at physics, to be honest, even if I consider myself a tech person.
  12. Corezer

I'm pretty sure pure ice, without bubbles in it, sinks. Not positive tho...

I know for a fact that ice is denser than water, an easy experiment is to fill a glass with ice, then fill it to the brim with water, as the ice melts the less dense structure of liquid water overflows the cup.

another easier way to explain it, as things get colder they get denser.

but water is commonly refered to as being more dense because it fits it's container perfectly so you get more in there, plus air is allowed to float to the surface and escape, where it cannot in ice.
  13. Malcmodnar

Gah, I'll take the bait.

This is incorrect. Ice is, in fact, less dense than water. No matter how few bubbles are in an ice cube, it will float in water under normal circumstances. This is due to ice's unique crystalline structure - when it freezes, the water molecules arrange themselves into an orderly pattern that actually takes up more space than the liquid form. It's why ice wedging can destroy roads and buildings by freezing and expanding in the cracks. Normally, a solid is more dense than a liquid, but ice is an exception.

As for grenade physics, Iridar is correct. In order to significantly slow a flying user down, the grenade would need to have a sizable fraction of the user's weight, or be thrown with a very large amount of force (force = mass x velocity). We can ignore velocity, since grenades clearly aren't being fired out of a cannon. Therefor, in order to bring the user to a complete stop, the grenade would have to weigh about the same amount as the person carrying it - and even then, it wouldn't really work, because your jetpack is obviously strong enough to lift your weight plus that of any grenades you're carrying. I'm not going to do the math to figure out what the exact result would be.

Ignoring the obvious impracticality of carrying one's weight in high explosives at all times (and Vanu help you if you're running grenade bandoleer), grenades clearly do not behave like they should were they this dense. If a grenade weight several hundred pounds (about equal to the weight of the soldier plus all their equipment), all that mass would be packed into a very small space. If you threw one of these, it wouldn't bounce off the floor - it'd put a hole in it. Materials can change this, to a degree, but making grenades out of some kind of kinetic-reflecting super-material seems like a poor investment.

(On the other hand, were grenades actually this dense, they wouldn't need any sort of explosive payload - a Light Assault dropping one from a few feet up would be fatal enough for anything underneath.)

In short, I think it's safe to assume this is a bug, and not some obscure facet of Auraxian weapons technology.
    • Up x 2
  14. lawn gnome

as things get colder they do get denser EXCEPT past a certain point water crystallizes and those crystalline structures cause the water to expand resulting in it being less dense than unorganized liquid water.

i have an even simpler experiment. put ice cubes into a cup of water and watch them. past a certain point they will get so small that most of them will have no internal space for air bubbles and they will still never sink.

if ice in any form were truly denser than water our ocean floors would be covered in ice crystals, because down past the twilight zone it is well bellow the freezing temperature of water, but that is all liquid water with the exception of some methane/water slush in certain areas of the sea floor. on a side note that methane slush is why our sky will turn green and the planet will jump up in temperature a few years after the mid atlantic conveyor stops due to global warming.
  15. ShumaKun

I have auraxium smg and shotgun, it works the same for that weapons
  16. Iridar51

I've noticed, you killed me yesterday with auraxium carbine when I wanted to UB shotgun you like a scrub :(

Thanks for confirming.
  17. ShumaKun

Mine don't have UB shotgun sadly :((
  18. Iridar51

Probably will get fixed soon. I didn't have a lot of experience with using UB shotgun, when you killed on approach I had realized I've acquired a bad habit of trying to force myself within UB shotgun range, which is not always optimal.
  19. ShumaKun

I used it on Solstice SF with great success and I am so tempted to use it on my aurax carbine. It is great if you combine it with awerness or counter intelligence implant, because no one expect UB shotgun, Its also great when you hold points or move indoors. I had the same bad habit like you, but when you learn when to use its super satisfying. I even got rage tell from auto shotgun user XD
    I want to use Eclipse or Solstice SF with UB shotgun as my main weapon when I finish all auraxium medals on LA, I still can't decide with one is better
  20. Iridar51

Ofc Eclipse is better. SPA and laser AND UB shotgun? Also faster reload and lower vertical recoil and higher RoF. Holy hell. You even need to ask? :)
    EDIT: Oh, and mid-air ADSing of course :p