VX6-7 or a CQC Shotgun?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Spectre9000, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Paqu

Thats about it. You cant really choose wrong no matter which one you choose. Its more about your personal preference.
  2. MasterD

I think I may be one of the only people where all 3 of my light assault loadouts revolve around a shotgun. I'm NC but I use the Piston which is equivalent to the Pandora. (6 Shot Auto). I do great at all ranges.

First Loadout is Piston w/ Extended
    Second: Piston w/ Slugs, Extended, 3.4x
    Third: Piston w/ Slugs, Grip, 3.4x

I should probably upgrade one of those slugs loadouts to the semi auto shotguns but I haven't bothered yet. People get soooo surprised when I snipe them with a shotgun. It's also great for the shield door showdowns since most people think the only class that can 2 shot you is an infiltrator. That's when you switch to the engineer and an ammo packages at each door and get free kills... (yeah I'm that guy).
  3. Mrasap

To the question which gun is best for in your face pwnage: shotgun no doubt about it. It sucks at distances farther away than in the face, that's why most would say the VX is better. If you have good situational awareness and you know how to abuse the mobility of the jetpack at it's finest then a shotgun setup can be very rewarding.

Don't get me wrong though, the VX can beat a punch, but I feel more like rambo with my shotty.

that's pretty much it. It's mostly personal preference, and handy once you have the auraxium medal of one
  4. Sian

I alternate between Solstice SF w/UGL and the Nova. 8 shots and fires plenty fast, I can pretty reliably beat shielded HA with it when I run into them indoors.
  5. Paqu

Why do you people still keep saying that even tho I showed some proof that isn't true on the last page? Shotgun with slugs clearly beats the VX6-7 when the distance increases.

Here is another clip. Now with the proper scope. Good luck trying to do the same with the VX from that distance.

6. Mrasap

Slugs are nice, I agree with you on that. The OP asked for CQC and you won't equip your slug ammo if you intend to go CQC. I see shotgun with slugs as a completely different gun.
  7. Paqu

Well I keep running with my slugs equipped all the time no matter the distance. And the thing is that its not like you give up on buckshots if you take slugs. You can always just unequip the slugs and you get the buckshots back.

I dont say that the buckshots arent better at point blank range but the difference to slugs is not very big. Not nearly big enough to lose the ability to shoot distant targets. I haven't tested but I believe it takes three shots from buckshots to the body to kill which is the same as slugs. Real difference is that if you miss a bit with slug you dont do any damage where with bucks some of the shots will still hit. But thats about it.
  8. Mrasap

From my experience it's 2 buckshots to the body for most, one in the head of an infil. Point blank that is.

Haven't thoroughly tested it but enough to confidently use 2 shots per enemy to conserve ammo. One shot + instant knife works best.
  9. Strilac

Pellets do 143x6 damage( so 6 pellets in same time, and each one does damage about as carbine bullet), so if all hit the body its 858 damage., people have 1000 heath(500 shield+ 500 heath)

If some of those pellets hit the head, you get possibility of 1 hit kill
    • Up x 1
  10. Skiptis

I can second this. I unlocked the Pandora first and have never gotten slugs for it; I use the Nova with slugs and I often avoid CQC with the latter, the difference is very noticeable towards both any shotgun with pellets and a CQC oriented carbine like the VX6-7. With the Pandora you can miss a shot and still shoot someone to pieces before they've blown your shield off but with the Nova a single missed slug can be a death sentence. It's particularly bad in the "deadzone" range where 3.4x zoom is too much but spread means you miss a large percentage of hipfire shots.

Don't get me wrong, I love the slug Nova and it's amazing at what it does, but it'd be doing the thing a disservice by not being upfront about it's weaknesses.
  11. Paqu

Ah ok if buckshots takes one less hit to kill up close they sure are better in CQC than slugs. I have been just too lazy to test it and been using the slugs all the time since even in biolabs you often find yourself fighting an enemy which would be beyond buckshot range.

Is it possible to switch Pandora to semi-automatic like rifles and carbines?

If you can I might actually buy it since I have some SC left. I would propably still use slugs but those HA's with their shields are pain in the *** to deal with the Nova up close since they take like 5-6 shots to kill. And you cant count on them running out ammo if you dodge a bit and wait to attack while they reload either. Being able to switch to full auto on those points might make me survive the fight.
  12. Strilac

its not possible to switch it to semi, but if you have trigger dicipline, you can shoot it that way.

But i dont like autoshotties, i find full auto is not useful for shotguns.

I have nighthowk(auto) on my TR char, and thanatos(6 shot semi) on my VS, liking a thanatos much more, because haveig better buck shot range, and fast reload is way more useful than flailing in full auto, and missing 80% of shots.
    Only time when i find autoshotgun better, is when I am hugging a MAX...
  13. Paqu

Ok thanks for the info. I'll stick to Nova then but will experiment with buckshot more.
  14. VKhaun

Extended mags are the same increase (+4 rounds) for all three and the Thanatos reloads extra fast... so the Nova really doesn't have a leg to stand on once you get things equipped unless you want a dedicated slug gun to use from cover.

Having used both I recommend the VX6-7 with advanced laser sight first. Get soft point ammo for it and load that any time you would swap to a shotgun. If you wouldn't use a shotgun, don't use softpoint. Softpoint extends max damage from 10m, to 15m, and reduces min damage at whatever range by a good chunk, so you lose damage past about 20-25m and only gain damage between 10 and 15m, no more than 20m. Place a waypoint and take a look at how far that its. It's hardly more than shotgun range.

Then get the shotgun if you find you want more, but I doubt you will.

My own question:
    Does the laser sight actually tighten up the shotgun pellet spread? Or does it do nothing?
  15. Strilac

pelet spread is different stat from cone of fire, but laser sight should tighten the cone for slugs, thus making 8 shot shotgun best slug SG imo, as you can use laser sight comfortably without the need for extended mag that 6 shots definatly need.

... anyways i would suggest gettin SG over CQC carbine, stock carbines are pretty good, so IMO its better to have something different, then something slightly different
  16. ShumaKun

I use nova +mag +slug +hv scope and I must say that it's real fun in places like biolab or crown. I like my serpent, but I wish it have 35 bullets in mag and I tend to have more K/D with solstice sf. IMO the best you get from cqc carabines is silencers.