(VS) Pulsar C, suppressor vs. compensator

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Crywalker, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Crywalker

I got this thing mainly because it was a cheap replacement for what I found to be the very underwhelming Solstice SF - I just got sick of how buggy the under barrel was + the gun didn't perform that well other than the cheesy noob tube aspect.

What I've noticed so far is that it's quite good at all ranges, and the higher damage means I'm less likely to empty a clip during combat(carbines only having 30batteries/clip) and need to swap to pistol to finish a kill(or end up dead). High ROF seems to be what most players rave about but I'm getting surprisingly good mileage out of this thing. Its accuracy, recoil(very low first shot), COF are all quite nice even without full upgrades yet.

Even for hip shooting CQC I do fairly well with it. It's not amazing but the higher damage / bullet is noticeable and a few (often lucky in my case)headshots can end things quite quickly.

I've got HV ammo and I'm definitely going advanced forward grip, but I'm not sure whether to get the suppressor or the compensator. I'm worried that the compensator will have too much of a negative effect on hip firing - though it may be worth sacrificing to specialize it even further for mid-long range. I'm not sure exactly how much the suppressor will help me though, VS projectiles are very visible but I imagine not showing up on the map could save more times than I'd probably ever notice.
  2. Oreo202

Why forward grip? The gun seems to have little horizontal recoil.
  3. Crywalker

I don't like the look of laser sights really - I find them distracting, and it has the advanced version of the forward grip which is nice. Doesn't something else add horizontal recoil? Suppressor maybe? It'd counter that if I chose suppressor.
  4. grin

The horizontal recoil on the Pulsar C is actually quite large(0.42) compared to other carbines(0.2-0.3). In addition, the pulsar C recoil is randomly distributed left and right which means there is no method of manually correcting for horizontal recoil. This means that the Pulsar C is actually the prime example of a gun that would benefit from the foregrip.

The pulsar C also has the smallest ADS COF of the vanu carbines(0.03 compared to 0.1) giving it a distinct advantage while aiming down sights. This advantage would be wasted with the Laser sight but that is more of a preference. I use the foregrip on my pulsar C and I do notice the difference.
  5. gunshooter

How would the advantage be wasted with laser sight? At hipfire ranges, ads cof does nothing because your enemy covers your entire cof and then some.
  6. Oreo202

Could you post a video comparing the forward grip/adv forward grip to a pulsar C without a forward grip?
  7. Vadimir

I think you're confusing horizontal (left/right) with vertical (up/down). The vertical recoil of the Pulsar C is 0.42. The horizontal is 0. Also that random left and right distribution as you called it is actually the COF.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AuOojvNLMApVdEtIU1NKenEzNzZOSWNaanFqSUVxLWc&type=view&gid=12&f=true&colid0=15&filterstr0=Pulsar C&colid1=16&filterstr1=VS&colid2=17&filterstr2=CARBINE&sortcolid=-1&sortasc=true&rowsperpage=250

Here is a comparison of the recoil pattern of the Pulsar C and the VX6-7:
    http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/8792/pulsarcvx67.png

As you can see, the VX6-7's recoil is to the right and up. Were as the Pulsar C's recoil pattern just goes strait up. The pattern of both gets gradually more spaced out as a result of the COF widening. However the Pulsar C's COF is still relatively minimal even at the top of the pattern.

Due to the Pulsar C having no horizontal recoil all the foregrip and advanced foregrip do is slightly reduce the already small COF. They're better than nothing but at the same time there are things for the same price that will enhance a persons combat ability far more.

It really depends on what you want out of the gun.

The compensator will greatly enhance your mid to long range ability by reducing the vertical recoil of the Pulsar C, which is it's main weakness. The downside is that it reduces your hip-fire accuracy. Also it makes you show up on the mini map from further way when firing but most people don't pay much attention to the mini map anyway ;).

The suppressor not only prevents you from showing on the mini map when firing but also greatly reduces your muzzle flash and sound. Reducing the sound of your gun is actually it's biggest advantage. As I said above, most enemies won't notice a red dot on the mini map but they will notice near by gunfire and will come looking for you. However with the suppressor not only does it make your gun a lot harder to hear but also makes it more difficult to distinguish whether the gunfire is friend or foe. The downside as you know is that it reduces your projectiles velocity and increases its damage degradation making the suppressor a fairly terrible choice for long range.

Basically as a general rule of thumb:
    Compensator for mid to long range.
    Suppressor for close to mid range.
  8. Rigsta

That's not the case, I'm afraid. It has vertical recoil and equal amounts of left-right recoil, meaning with each shot the sight will go up and either left or right.

To test this, switch the gun to single-fire mode (B by default), aim down sights at something distinctive and fire one shot at a time, allowing the sight to settle back down after each shot. You'll see it ends up in a different place with almost every shot, before settlingh back down to your original aiming point. That's what makes the forward grip a good investment for guns like this.
    • Up x 1
  9. Lucidius134

I personally use Suppressor but if you are worried about the range and projectile speed reduction but dont want to get the compensator for its full auto reduction there is NO SHAME for using no barrel attachment.

The Barrel attachments are one of the few spots where i'm like "I could just not use anything at all..."

Also, I'm getting the same love out of the Pulsar C as you are atm, it's pretty fantastic. I'm going to cert into this for long distacne on my LA:

HVA
    Foregrip
    4X Scope
    Compensator

Gonna try and see if I can use it like a mini scout rifle on my LA and abuse jump jets.
  10. grin

Except that I get my information from that datasheet's "Notes about fun stuff" tab which states the opposite of what you say and confirms what I said.

"Recoil shows the amount of verticle recoil and the horizontal recoil bias. ← = → is balanced horizontal"

Meaning that it has 0.42 vertical AND horizontal recoil but it is balanced both left and right. This essentially means that the horizontal recoil is 0.42 in magnitude but random in horizontal direction. Bullet patterns will not expressly show this but paying attention to the movement of your reticle will. The best way to see the horizontal recoil on these "balanced horizontal" guns is to line up our sight on a vertical line. Then fire full auto and you can watch the sight skip left and right over the line. This kind of recoil is impossible to manually compensate for and thus the mod is actually quite nice. An imbalanced right or left recoil could be manually compensated for.

I do understand that the bullet spread pattern is made up of both the horizontal recoil and the COF, but you are incorrect in your statement that there is NO horizontal recoil on this gun.

Below is a picture of recoil patterns with no mods, foregrip rank 1, and compensator. Height of the pattern is measured in number of pixels. The green cones overlayed on the copies of the patterns are hand drawn but I believe they represent the general pattern. As you can see the patterns with the foregrip have a tighter cone. While it does not appear to be much tighter, even that amount will be very effective at range.
    (Left - No mods, Center - Foregrip, Right - Foregrip + compensator, right 3 are same as first 3)
    [IMG]

What makes you think that the foregrip will reduce cof? What says that?

The only other mod that is useful is the laser point and that is only effective in close range. This decision is really more of a preference. Do you want to go all out long range? If so, get the foregrip Rank 2. If you want to be a little bit more effective in close quarters, then the laser point is for your. I have not tested the second rank of foregrip on this gun but I will be certing into that next.
    • Up x 1
  11. grin

If i could get something like this on my Infiltrator instead of the Artemis, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
  12. Vadimir

I stand corrected :). I'd interpretted "balanced horizontal" to mean that while it did technically have horizontal recoil it was applied equally in both directions and at the same time thus giving it an effective horizontal recoil of 0. However having studied the recoil much closer in game I see now that you both are right. Thank you for taking the time to explain my error. Most forum goers wouldn't be so... patient ;).

Some old data mining that I can no longer find as well as ingame use of the foregrip. But seeing as I was wrong about the horizontal recoil I think it's probably a safe bet that I'm wrong on this too :oops:.
  13. grin

I'm glad we could help. :D:D