VS and the religious element

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Fellgnome, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Whatupwidat

Or basically - this
    • Up x 2
  2. Badname707

Good point. Still, 'sporadic telepathic feedback.' My earlier list of facts appear to be correct.
  3. TheKhopesh

Intelligent people are most often the least stable mentally.
    It makes sense that the best scientists around would focus on the Vanu as a race, and their obsession would develop into worship after a while.
  4. Whatupwidat

Also, let's not forget that 51% of modern scientists believe in some sort of deity or higher power.
  5. Paragon Exile

Same with the TR and NC. When have they not malfunctioned? Gameplay.
    GAME.

PLAY.
    GAME.

PLAY.
    Weren't you twenty minutes ago saying how science and faith are "the same"? I was inf act arguing for the exact opposite of what you just accused me of :p
    Do you know what "lore" means? Game mechanics are not part of the lore, they're, wait for it...

GAME.

PLAY.

I never said that the weapons didn't exist, I said I think they do but they're not represented at their "true" power as what is known about the setting indicates.

Characters, and to a lesser extent items (candy cannon lol) are canon by their inclusion in the game, but game mechanics are not and will never be part of the lore unless the devs explicitly make note of it. A good example of a game mechanic that is part of the lore are the force powers in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed.
  6. Paragon Exile

Can't go any longer, my stamina is spent. I have not failed Vanu, I have failed myself.

Here is a picture of a guy dancing on a treadmill

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  7. ColonelChingles

I know. I find it ironic as well. :D

You are arguing for the supremacy of science but are using a very anti-scientific way of doing it.

I am arguing against the supremacy of science but am using a scientifically-logical way of doing it.

The world is a silly place.
  8. TheKhopesh

I was unaware of that.
  9. Lord_Avatar

Just ask yourself how many scientists sincerely cling to religion and how is religion different from any other form of sectarian lunacy... It's not.
    • Up x 1
  10. Ronin Oni

I do wonder why.

And how.
  11. Ronin Oni

Unfortunately for you, science is the only supreme.
  12. Ronin Oni

76.3% of statistics are made up on the spot
  13. Rovertoo

Maybe the Vanu-based implants and technology are influencing their minds, as part of some long-dead sinister plot from the Vanu? Could be something evil like that. Perhaps the original creator, knowing he had been infected by this zealot virus technology, killed himself to stop the crazed version of himself from perpetuating the technological movement?
  14. Badname707

And some are the results of surveys. Who knew?
  15. Taemien

Simply politics. One of the most effectual ways of garnering a constituency is to make a religion based on your policies.

So to answer your question further. Yes there ARE Vanu with scientific perspectives, but they are the upper echelon. Your normal workerbees and soldiers do not know any better. This isn't because they are dumb or simple, just ignorant. So you have the upper crust of VS society that claim they must follow the Vanu. Those who don't (aka NC and TR) are heretics.

This also explains why they are fighting the TR and NC. They have a common enemy, the heretics who refuse enlightenment. Keep that conflict going long enough and a generation will go by who will not think to question the ideals. And why would they? They grew up 'knowing' the TR and NC want them dead. Why would they question the word of their leaders who want them to 'thrive'?

This doesn't make the VS leaders evil or malevolent. They could very well be believers that what they are doing is benevolent, even if misleading. Course.. so did a certain leader of the Axis powers in WWII, so even that line of thinking could be dangerous. But they never did release the 'intent' of the Vanu leadership. So we shouldn't jump to conclusions there.

At the end of the day, do you like trancendance and alien stuff? If so, go Vanu. If not... look elsewhere :D
    • Up x 1
  16. TheKhopesh

I was aware of that. :p
  17. ColonelChingles

You do realize that "science" is just a human invention and really the world could get on quite nicely without a smidgeon of science at all?

Science is simply humans looking at the world, making observations, and trying to figure out what those observations mean. If you have an area with no humans in it, there is no science in that area. Sure there are all the life processes and water cycles and plate tectonics going on, but those things are not science.

Both science and religion are human constructs meant to explain the world around us. Both are fallible and liable to error and mistake. Both rely on human observation and reason, which can be subject to flaw.

Science is no more supreme than any other human foray into the arts, philosophy, literature, mathematics, sports, etc. It's just as human as we are, a point that the VS naturally forget as they try to leave their humanity behind them.
  18. Rovertoo

Not to mention Science and Religion aren't mutually exclusive. Science is the study of what you see, Religion is the belief in what you can't. In this particular example, it's entirely probable that the VS do as much work as today's scientists with the technology, but have faith that Vanu, with all their technology and wisdom, gifted it to them so as to further the human race.
    • Up x 1
  19. Xasapis

VS believe in fish. That's why every weapon looks like a trout.
  20. FieldMarshall

I liked the PS1 "version" of VS better.

PS1: Rogue scientists who dont let ethics stand in the way of reverse engineering dangerous alien technology.
    PS2: Wierd space cult, that constantly reminds you when you play that you are part of a zealous cult worshipping dead aliens.
    • Up x 1