VR training.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AirPilot, Jun 22, 2017.

1. AirPilot

VR is a good idea but what you're able to do in VR is almost completely usless.

It's probable that VR is used for 80% of the time as dumping grounds for poor souls lost in the queues.

The issue with VR is none of the targets are moving. You do not need VR training for non moving targets, anyone can hit non moving targets, even new players like me when I was new could hit non moving targets.

Can you please implament some infantry, some tanks and some aircraft of different paths somewhere in VR to mimic realistic scenarios? For example:

By default all of these vehicles should have 1 path that is consistently followed and don't stop.

Tank : +1 path in which the tank is behind a building or rock and it peeps out and in.

aircraft : +1 path that is in the air and all it does is hover up and down with ctrl and space.

infantry : +1 path for the infantry to straith left and right.
    • Up x 1
  2. LordKrelas

Well, you can test the spread of weaponry, appearances of items, test scopes, implants, range of weaponry.
    Sure you can't practice tactics, dynamic fire-tests, or practice hitting mobile targets, but it has many uses.

And that's not including practice flying, driving, and range-finding.

VR could however use those moving targets.
    However, gonna need a few more than just a strafer ;>
  3. Liewec123

i think they need strafing targets, and also several targets that shoot at a set location (so you can stand in those locations to take damage to test resistances,
    they could have an AP mbt and maybe several infantry bots,
    one could shoot a round every 2 secs so you can easily count how many shots you can survive,
    and also a full auto bot so you can see how long you can survive in a real scenario.

but the strafing bots are a must!
  4. BartasRS

I would too like to have VR room in which I could actually train myself with different weapons. As it is now, it's more like a fancy wardrobe combined with shooting gallery. Sure, you can get a feeling of a new weapon there, test effective ranges and so on. You can even test some vehicle loadouts but that is quite limited. I was once trying to get a feel of ESF there... I still can't fly properly :D
  5. DarkStarAnubis

Why not change Koltyr instead?

1. Any kill or death in Koltyr does not provide score (just like VR)

2. On Koltyr a player can try anything (just like VR)

3. Koltyr is open to everybody (no 15BR cap)

So newbie can go there, learn much more (without any penalty) and when they feel ready go elsewhere. High BR can go there to train others or to practice.
  6. Ziggurat8

I'm the only guy that shoots at friendlies inside VR? They never hold still for very long...

Huh.
  7. BartasRS

Dunno about others but I would spend A LOT of time in Koltyr. Somehow I remember it as the most enjoyable experience in PS2.
  8. Eternaloptimist

Moving targets in VR is an idea that comes up regularly and I would love to see them introduced as well. Even jsut target boards that slide from side to side would eb something.

Right now, I tend to practice "quick draw" headshot and hipfire accuracy when the queue system dumps me into VR and I'm waiting to get to a continent.
  9. FateJH

There's a quote from some old piloting thread I remember: "Use VR to learn to not crash; use the other continents to learn to not die."

And here's a bit of advice I follow: if the targets in VR won't move, you need to do the moving for them.
  10. Liewec123

or another idea would be to let us trial weapons with attachments on the actual maps,
    currently you can't use attachments so you aren't getting a real feel for the gun.
  11. Kristan

Or ruin first impression of the game for new players. Knowing how abusive PS2 player base is, that's what it most likely going to be. So no. Leave Koltyr for noobs.
    • Up x 2
  12. AirPilot

If you're talking about this in piloting terms then that form of training is very ineffective.

When in a dogfight or jumping someone you don't know exactly how your opponent will react and you have to try and react to them to aim, if you're moving and your target isn't then that completely takes out the reaction speed element and precision aim.
  13. FateJH

You won't be learning that skill with such simple scripting as has been suggested in the rest of this thread anyway. You won't train something like reaction speed in substantial ways using a mthod so predictable. That's what you learn while actually playing the game. The thing you use VR for is getting a feel for how your weapon behaves and moving around while shooting is the best way to provoke different reactions out of the selected weapon. I was speaking in terms of the shooting gallery but, if it were on terms of being a pilot, this would still be the "learn to not crash" part.
  14. stalkish

Yes.
    While theyre at it make some targets that lag about all over the place, put some warp straffers in so that people can get an idea of what to expect.

No point training shooting against normal moving targets when 60% of the playerbase has learnt to fool the lag compensation.
  15. AirPilot

well actually yes it can and I also mentioned precicion aim.

Simply put the aircraft on a vertical path and randomize(); when it changes direction to go up and down. If it doesn't change direction and gets to the end of the path then change direction at the end of the path.

This would definetly be something.