Voice your opinion! What do you think SOE did wrong?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SuperMedicated, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chubzdoomer

This. Hossin has taken way, way, WAY too long.
    • Up x 2
  2. Robertooooo

Funny hats and camos is higher on the priority list :D
    • Up x 2
  3. TacosWLove

I also agree that this game took way too much from battlefield/COD and not near enough from Planetside 2.

Sick of being WTF PWNED? That because the TTK is still to low for some weapons and vehicles and Anti Air is a joke.

Sick of the 3way on every Cont? That because they should have had cont locking, sanctuarys and at least 5 conts from the start.

Sick of your AMS dying every 2mins by a SINGLE bro? Thats because they needed to put a cloak on the AMS (like PS1) and make them much more resistant to C4/mines. (in PS1 you took a long time to deploy enough mines to kill it)

Sick of being curbed stomped by a vechicle? Thats because they left out EMP grenades that would temp disable a tank if they got to close (limited throwing distance)
    • Up x 1
  4. ChampagneDragon

My very first thought was everyone and everything can kill everyone and everything.

Engies should be engies. They should repair, fortify, and supply. If they want to kill vehicles get into a turret you've repaired. If you want to kill a max good luck. Your primary weapon is your ability to set up fortifications and funnel the battle by strategically placing spawns, barricades, and assorted CE.

Medics should be medics. They shouldn't be ones to kill vehicles. They shouldn't be uber soldiers. They are healers.

Infils. OMG you really might want to stop here. Infils are sneaky. That is their strength. They should sneak into bases and hack things. They should do recon. They should be able to defend themselves BARELY if they get caught. They should fear being discovered, not the other way around.

Heavies should by nature be the ones to take out the heavy armor and air. Not both with the same weapon. Make them decide which they want to do.

Light Assault should be the ones who get into tricky places to defend and breach. The heavies push up the staircase, the light assaults flank by going over the wall. The sit up in the tree picking off the soldiers attempting to rush a point. They get themselves into strange places so the opposition has to be on the constant lookout.

Maxes are a specialty class. They're either ai, av, or aa. Not all.

Vehicles... maybe I should make another page of rants for that. Suffice it to say the lib can kill infantry, armor, and air all with the same loadout. ESFs can pretty much do the same. Armor can pretty much do the same.

This UBER warrior/vehicle mentality has made this game no different than any other.

At BR 87 I fear nothing. I am only an equipment terminal/ams away from being able to deal with any opposition thrown at me. I don't have to rely on teamwork. I am the super soldier.

I really prefer to be part of a team.
    • Up x 4
  5. ScrapyardBob

• Buggy patches that cause more problems then they fix. Their QA needs work.
    • Rushed releases, not using PTS properly, ignoring player feedback.
    • Not communicating on their official forums.
    • Releasing over-powered items, only to have to heavily nerf them a few weeks later, then buff them again because they over-nerfed, then nerf because they over-buffed.
    • Performance problems that were not fixed until OMFG.
    • Not spending another 6-9 months in beta, releasing an product that was unpolished with lots of rough edges.
    • Failing to learn the lessons from Planetside 1 (lattice, resource costs, capture mechanics, logistics).
    • Server lag.
    • Charging too much SC for items in the store (prices are 2x-3x too high).
    • Boosts that tick in real-time instead of only ticking when logged in.
    • Not providing enough incentives for players to play the underdog team of the day (adding back server-wide pop bonuses, plus a local hex pop bonus).
    • No vitality system (XP boost) as in EQ2 (it lets people who play less keep up easier with those who play 8+ hours per day, at least in terms of XP/certs earned).
    • Having to sit at a base until the timer counts down to get your capture XP.
    • Up x 3
  6. Chowley

Horrible netcode and the performance deterioration of recent time. Oh and server issues.
  7. Taemien

I fail to see how all that isn't how it works now. With the exception of the Annihilator, everything up there is true. As for being specialized, I really have to ask this... whats the point? Or more specifically, how is going to a terminal much different than logging out and back in to something different?

Being able to do everything is a misconception. As a infil you can't deal with vehicles. As a medic your weapon isn't as good as a Heavy's. As a MAX you have to choose AI, AA, or AV. You can sort of carry two types of weapons such as a Falcon and a Burster... but you're lacking at both to be able to do both. There's a choice involved.

Forced specialization is a horrible approach. When I join a sqaud and see a ton of Heavies, I can play a medic and be a great asset to the team. What happens if I have to specialize and end up in a squad with all heavies and I've focused on Heavy? Well if it works like most MMOs, you get the boot. They go "Squad LF1M, medic."

This way everyone can play what they want, and those of us veterans who know everything can fill the gaps as needed. A new or low ranked player can only focus on one class. A BR60+ can focus on 3-4 and higher ups can be anything, but only one at a time.

If you prefer to play as part of a team, then play as a team. DO NOT lonewolf it.

I urge everyone to try playing ONLY in a static squad/platoon for a week. Just a single week. Meaning playing with the same peeps every day. And see how the game goes for you. For those of you who haven't done this before, it just may open your eyes. I know it did for me. Yeah.. when I first played this game in Beta, I was lost. I just ran around wherever the explosions were (explosions meant something to shoot at), died alot, killed some, but died a heck of alot more. When I started running with people and I mean people using strategy and working together rather than zerging, I found this game absolutely rocks. You can think outside the box, you can manipulate the enemy zerg, you can flank. The possibilities literally are limitless.

But yet I see discussions like this. Nerf calls. And other nasty cynical posts that threaten to marginalize much of this game simply because people just drone and zerg. And that bothers me. People are so wrapped up into hating big business (SOE), and thinking that they are trying to suck the money out of them, that they lose sight of what they have. We have an excellent game if only you all would actually play it instead of droning it. But you have to play it with other people. Not simply see others as bots there to soak up the random shots that apparently come out of everywhere. This is very much a team oriented game, it should remain that way.
    • Up x 4
  8. NinjaTurtle

- They have taken to long to add the META elements of the game. 18 months since release and still we are waiting.

- Releasing the game is a piss poor buggy mess that was optimized so poorly even high end systems were getting poor performance. That lost them alot of players

- Releasing patches without the proper QA, if they actually have a QA team they need either a kick up the **** or more people because frankly at the moment they are doing a poor job

- Making too much of the game copy and paste, towers all the same, Bio Labs all the same, Tech Plants all the same... even the weapon aesthetics look the same.

- Tutorial should have been in the game at release

- Oh and get servers that don't take a **** every few hours

Frankly this game still appears a BETA
    • Up x 1
  9. ExarRazor

what did they do wrong with planetside 2?

they hired developers and team leaders who played the original for all of about 3 hours, and subsequently, had no friggin clue what planetside was all about

so since higby, the ps2 team leader, and the guy who makes pretty much all design decisions, had never actually played planetside for more than a few hours, tried to make a planetside game without the planetside part.

so we're stuck with a Bf/cod clone with the planetside name
    • Up x 3
  10. Meliorist

Neglecting to improve the core of the game and instead looking for the next (needless) thing to add. Just take a look at the roadmap. Either bad prioritizing or purposely avoiding the issues that plague the game.

That, and the (needless) things they do add are seemingly rushed, causing unacceptable performance loss. By extention the entire game was released far to early, and given how stability, both client and server, is all over the place I'd say still wouldn't be release ready.
  11. NoctD

This game is buggier than a Bethesda game!
    • Up x 4
  12. OldMaster80

Big mistake: if you ask players what SOE did wrong in terms of balancement this thread will result in a huge list of meaningless buff this nerf that withou any clear indication of what they should do.

Imho SOE made errors on a more general level: PTS is underutilized, patches released are too buggy for a majore like Sony (client 64 bit?!?!?), they spent too much time trying to optimize the game and there are still huge technical problems. Moreoever communication is sometimes lacking, european servers are often down during afternoon and / or prime time, discussion over changes happens on reddit instead of official forums.

For the rest the game is fine with me. Some weapons could be better, some are too good, I think they'll get it right soon or later but there will always be someone unsatisfied.
  13. Akeita

Higby should be on the forums, not reddit, just because of that guy most of forums people ignore forums and move over to live in reddit

Higby... Higby you Higby, staph using reddit
    • Up x 4
  14. Ivalician

Crappy patches that break game.

Frequent release of completely broken equipment that are often not balanced for months. Example: Dalton, pump-action shotguns, ZOE, composite armour harassers, Phoenix ( probably least overpowered of this bunch due to pathetic DPS, but annoying vs. infantry ).
    • Up x 1
  15. ChampagneDragon

I play it. I play it with my outfit. I lead multiple platoons often. I know about teams. Do you?
  16. UberBonisseur

"Players need to fix the game !"

Yeah, it's our fault. Players are the cause of the all the problems.
    The game would be so much better without them.

When about 20 players stay inside the spawn room shooting behind shields because there are dozens of vehicles outside, it's clearly a mentality problem. Now all we have to do is change human nature, sounds simple enough.

I mean, you've got to understand SOE, changing the ruleset takes time, effort and money.
    • Up x 2
  17. Tar

Basically, repeating their mistakes from PS1. After a promising start, they lost (or never had) the vision about where to go next.

Also, PS2 even from the start is aiming at ADHD kids / casuals too much instead of trying to create and maintain a long lasting community.
    • Up x 4
  18. Peter Daniel

Percentage for Continental cap, instead of "Cap all zones"
    • Up x 1
  19. Codex561

It all started in
    1995, San Diego, California, United States
    • Up x 1
  20. DirArtillerySupport

Missed opportunities....lost potential.

I blame consoles.
    • Up x 1