Viper buff was a really bad idea, again Devs reward farming

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Catch23, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Catch23

if you actually attack instead of sitting back and spamming doorways you get punished alot in PS2 these days.

You can kill infantry easily with Heat and AP but with the new Viper you dont even have to aim anymore. you can evade 1-2 shot with skill, but a Viper mag?
    there are lots of "tankers" out there with 1: 10 vehicle/ infantry kill ratios. really guys, anybody can do that.

Devs, you are reverting this game to early Crown fighting, i used to like Esamir for a diffeerent playstyle, now it's like Indar.
    Sure you can play HA, stay defensive, pick of targets fleeing from spam and shoot rockets at the Viper Noobs.

but what about classes like LA that keep up the flow in battles? they're caught in the middle. high mobility is cross-nerfed by buffing spam. Flak is no solution. only thing you can do is playing cheesy.

not appealing
    • Up x 6
  2. Gav7x

I agree fully, the main problem that i have with this stuff in general is that i have high level flak armor on all my classes and i still get 1-2 shoted by all tanks mostly the viper lightning, its very irritating
    • Up x 4
  3. Pikachu

What noticeable change was there besides extra armor damage? Anyway don't ruin my viper. 250 kills left to purple. Also it can't be that bad since only new players use viper, and me.
    • Up x 2
  4. JesNC

None.

It's just forumside as usual.
    • Up x 26
  5. JudgeDeath

Could be wrong here, but the projectile speed was increased or the gravity value was altered as the shots travel with a more straight line instead of the old mortar like feel.

Good change that made the default stock gun more usable. OP ? ... Hell no.

Just normal forumside whine after something kills you.
  6. Catch23

everytime you create skillless weapons with no downsides its worsening the game. pre-nerf Harrasers and ZOE, Air a year ago. Now its the Viper.

players who dont care how they rack up kills love it, others, who do care, leave.

instead of adding huge (and ugly) walls to bases you should have gotten rid of explosive spam rather then bufffing it. Im sure alot of vehicle guys who want to play combined arms would prefer this.

This here is not combined arms.
    • Up x 3
  7. Catch23

haha, everyone and his mother is using it now. especially tons of high BR farmers.

the two other clueless heroes in this thread dont even know the patch-changes. it OHKs now, 1 instead of 2 shells as before.
    • Up x 3
  8. Catch23

thanks for that, if you thought it was not "usable" before, this just shows your lack of skill. you are imcompetent. I'm not.
    • Up x 1
  9. Astriania

It's hilarious that you put the Viper in the same category as ZOE and harassers.

Combined arms doesn't mean that you can infantry wherever you want, how you want, without vehicle interference. Combined arms means that all sectors are useful - pull armour or aircraft to take down the armour that's spawncamping you, or get up behind them with C4, or pull AV heavies or MAXes.

If you're getting destroyed by tank shells I'm not sure how that's 'actually attacking', you're either spawning in a camped base or trying to run as infantry between tank zergs, neither of which is doing anything useful.
    • Up x 15
  10. Pikachu

It was 1 hit before as well unless shielded HA or nanoweave. I don't see any lightning with camo that uses viper. I see just as many of the other weapons as before. There's more lightnings with HE than viper.
    • Up x 7
  11. JesNC

It always OHK'd non-flak armor infantry afaik, bullet speed/gravity was adjusted to Python HEAT levels sometime last spring.

Only real change this patch was the move to a different resistance table.

... Which in itself explains the increased usage, since it's now directly comparable in AV performance to the Python guns.
    • Up x 4
  12. Pikachu

Ideally it kills tanks faster than HEAT but clicking as fast as you can and landing all those 20 shells is hard.
    • Up x 1
  13. Gnomemercy

The viper was good AI farm tool pre patch, is no difference in it now if you are getting farmed goto another base and with a squad and pull armour and flank them...running from your spawn room each time is exactly what they want you to do.
    • Up x 2
  14. JesNC

pre-patch: 475 + 550 = 1025

post-patch: 400 + 600 = 1000

net loss = 25 damage

So the buff you're complaining about is actually an anti-infantry nerf. Basic reading comprehension and maths.
    • Up x 19
  15. Catch23

erm guys, thx for your help about how to fight tanks.
    i have 1000 vehicle kills with my lightning. I don't need your advice.

but hey, I take back averything i said.

1. there is no rapid increase in Viper spamming
    2. spamming is useful for the game, needing to aim is not
    3. spamming takes skill
    4. if you get killed by spam on deploy you made a mistake, always
    5. you can always go somewhere else

happy sunday everyone
  16. DeeX

The Viper is imo the best anti infantry in close (c4) range. Everything farther away HE is way better.
  17. Catch23

splash damage increase x 6. which applies to more than 1 target contrary to direct damage -> spamming

plus nanoweave nerf. no aming required. used to be viable wepon, now ist a noob tube. pick it up bro

P.S.:

Basic playing experience
    • Up x 2
  18. Jaloro

Catch, the problem with your post is its whole premise is flat out wrong.

Firstly, lets inject some actual facts into the discussion. Here are the patch notes:

C75 Viper
    Weapon could use a small buff. We are going to increase its effectiveness against vehicles a bit by changing its damage type. The tank adjustments noted above still cause the damage value to decrease, so we are also increasing its blast damage to ensure it can still 1 hit kill a non flak armor target.
    • Direct hit damage is now on resist type 7 (tank shells)
    • Damage reduced from 475 to 400
    • Blast damage increased from 550 to 600
    So, lets see what has changed. The Viper was moved from a light anti-armor weapon to a standard tank shell. This had the effect of buffing it versus vehicles. They also rebalanced it so that it did the same damage against infantry as it did pre-patch.

Your whinefest about infantry farming is ridiculous since no changes have been made to its effectiveness against infantry. Its fire rate is the same, its damage is the same (after accounting for armor), its projectile speed and gravity is the same.

The only reason you are seeing more of them is because ignorant people who cannot read patch notes looked at the first sentence (weapon could use a small buff) and immediately ran off to dump their HEAT cannons. They then resumed spamming the spawn room.
    • Up x 20
  19. Paqu

Viper is too good now. I think the increased damage vs armor is in a good place now as you still need to land all 6 shots, but against infantry.. well it just makes HE pointless to take. The effectiveness on infantry hasn't changed but when you previously took it you knew that you will lose to any vehicle.

Against non flak player it should take 2 direct hits to kill or one hit + 2 splashes. Flak would make it 3 direct or two direct + 2-3 splash.
  20. lothbrook

So they made it so a viper lightning isn't complete tank fodder, changed nothing when it comes to infantry, and now its OP? lol, the only relevant change was the nanoweave change so you have to use flak armor now if you want to fight vehicles instead of the old catch all nanoweave.

I can 1 shot kill infantry with AOE with my titan heat now, but guess what they didn't buff my titan heat, they just nerfed nanoweave so that you need to use flak if you want to survive explosions.
    • Up x 8