[Video] Serpent Weapon Review

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by freeze, Dec 23, 2012.

1. freeze

alright, time for a new review :)

let me know what you think of the weapon.
    you can hear my view in the video ;)

cheers guys :)
    • Up x 1
  2. Atlien77

is this gun any good with a foregrip instead of the laser-sight?
  3. Armodeen

Nice. How does it compare to the V6-7 or whatever it's called, which has a fundamentally similar style?
  4. Soylent

This gun is pretty much designed to be used with hip-fire. Sure you can mount the foregrip on it and it will recoil less, but if you want to be aiming trough the sights you're better off getting a gun that can cert into the advanced foregrip.
  5. Whargoul

Yes, the fore grip is good with this weapon. You can accurately full auto someone down in a heartbeat at mid range. The spread without the laser sight is already tight so you can still easily down someone at close range without it.
  6. kagekiri

freeze mentioned the difference in the video.

Serpent has an even higher rate of fire than the VX6-7, but an even slower reload time. As such, you're constantly reloading, because it can use an entire magazine to kill one person (not because they're not taking enough damage, but because the bullets are all flying out of the gun before you get the visual feedback that your enemy's dead and you can stop shooting). As such, you may get pretty obsessed with keeping your mag topped off.

By the way, freeze, nice review, it sums up the strengths and weaknesses of the weapon very accurately from my own experience with the Serpent.
    • Up x 1
  7. freeze

just like kagekiri said :)
    he summed it up pretty nicely.
    those two guns also differ in recoil though.
    the serpent pulls up and to the left, whereas the VX6-7 pulls up and to the right. so whatever you're more used to... pick that :)
  8. Atlien77

thank you :)
    do you know what gun has the adv foregrip available in the carbine class?
  9. Kalmageddon

Your reviews are really helpful, I'm currently looking for a new weapon for the Engineer and the Serpent seems like a good choice.
    Do you plan on reviewing the Eidolon by any chance? It's a virtually unknown weapon, mostly because for some strange glitch it doesn't appear in the Depot when you look for engineer-only weapons, and it's also different from any other Engi weapon being a long rifle and not a carabine or shotgun.
    I just think it would be an interesting review, seeing how it can change the playstile of the engineer. :)
    • Up x 1
  10. FnkyTwn

I bought the Serpent. Adv Laser and NV scope and its an absolute beast. The reload speed is something you learn to time, but honestly its one of the better purchases I've made. I still use my Slug Nova for long range stuff, but the Serpent rules everything else. I don't use Soft Point because I like being able to stitch people at range when I need to.

Immediately after I bought the Serpent I was in a situation where we were defending a tower outside a Tech plant and I managed to get down on the ground behind a tree, so I threw down an ammo pack and went on a 20 person killstreak before they figured it out, so it was an excellent way break in a new gun.
  11. freeze

I don't have it unlocked yet, but I'll take a closer look :)