[Video] Overview of ESF Weapons

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Hader, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Hader

Alright, since I don't have too much time tonight, the long version comes later this weekend. For now, have fun with this.

--

Screenshots:

http://i.imgur.com/BRrb4sW.png

http://i.imgur.com/DNvzmRw.png

http://i.imgur.com/iAO7POK.png

http://i.imgur.com/b7MH7aG.png

---

**Locust Cannons**
    ---

This first pass for them is not so bad. A good improvement over the old wing mounted version from way long ago that was dubbed the Lolcust cannons for being so goddamn OP.

These feel almost in the right place in terms of damage, though I would need to test them a lot more myself for the minor tweaks. The magazine sizes seems a little too much for each ones though, or at least the Mosquito. It would have enough to kill about 3 full health ESFs with near perfect accuracy in one mag, 2 with 50% accuracy or so. Doesn't seem so good at range though so this could offset it.

Like I said I really need to take a closer look at them and I just don't have the time now. Suffice to say though this is the most balanced of these new weapons as of now...

**Hornet Missiles**
    ---

Imagine the Engineer ARC Turret put on an ESF, except given 4 shots per mag and those 4 shots are enough to kill a MBT with rear shots, 6 on the front or sides. A la, Hornets.

Yeah...these need some changing. Damage is way too much for starters.

But more importantly, I seriously dislike their function. I guess I should have expected it when they were described as laser guided, but I seriously had something in mind more like my Semi Active Missile idea, which requires a lockon and then maintaining that lock for the duration of the flight. While this laser guidance it has now means moving off target still misses, it suffers from the pretty crappy aiming mechanics the ARC turret suffers from. Perhaps this could work with weapon damage tuning, but I am no fan of it. This will do jack **** in the air against ESFs and be a bit too easy to use on Galaxies and Liberators. Considering it's damage it's actually quite unfair in its current state against gals and libs.

I really would rather see current A2AM mechanics just applied to these instead, and make them an A2G only option. Make current A2AM the Semi Active version for A2A only. Since I don't have the time to explain this in depth now, more details on this in my first long essay here:

**Coyote Missiles**
    ---

I am actually impressed with the heatseeking mechanics, though it isn't perfect it turned out okay. The problem I see with Coyotes is the fact that they are only 2 to a mag and do comparably **** damage to just about any other option. I believe it took about 10 hits to kill an ESF all on their own. With their long reload time between each pair of missiles, the TTK is incredibly high on their own. While they are meant to be a supplement to the nosegun for A2A combat, these provide very little incentive to use over the Hornets or A2AM or Fuel pods right now. There is nothing they bring to the table that is unique and more importantly, that excels at some aspect of A2A combat.

I strongly suggest taking these back to more like they were in the old build last year, 6 missiles in a mag for a quick volley. It requires a lockon - a *constant* lockon - and is short range only. Perhaps the heatseeking can stay, but right now these are honestly just underwhelming. They need a reason to be used, because right now I wouldn't use these in A2A combat, not even for messing around.

**Fuel Tank Certs**
    ---

I'm quite disappointed these are just back to how they were before with a bland cert line that is just a straight up upgrade to every aspect of the fuel tanks instead of adding some depth to them and the way a pilot may wish to use them in. Again, I suggest having at least 2 separate cert lines that use the same slot so you can only use one at a time, but allow specialization in how the fuel tanks are used. Fuel regeneration and fuel capacity would be the best choices here and probably offer the most choice in flying style to pilots when given this choice.

---

I believe that is all for now. I wish I had more time but the for realz Air Force requires me this weekend so I have little time right now to write essays!
  2. Mittens4kittens

LOL HORNET MISSILES MOST BALANCED THING EVER. This thing is a Tank Buster that shoots AT Shells and does splash damage.
    • Up x 1
  3. Maljas23

Apparently the Hornet missles are using the wrong dmg type, which is probably why they are so powerful atm. SOE guy just posted that in another thread.