[Video] NC MAX Range

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by StormFrog, Feb 9, 2013.

1. StormFrog

A lot of hyperbole and random numbers get thrown around about how good the scattermax is at various ranges. I think a lot of this is caused by people misjudging distance, so I thought I'd make a video to demonstrate just what 15m looks like in-game.

Other people have shown that an NC MAX needs to get within 10m of another MAX to beat them in a straight duel. Past 15m is also the range at which pellet spread gets large enough that it takes most of your ammo to kill one regular soldier.

I set RenderDistance=15 for this video. Terrain gets foggy up to the 15m mark, at which point it disappears.
    • Up x 9
  2. Lakora

Is it just me or is the Bio-lab like 10x larger from that kind of perspective? o_O Imo,
    • Up x 1
  3. MaxDamage

If that's 15 metres then indeed I have been killed in almost no time at 30 metres by NC MAX in TR suit, with my headshots on him landing as best as possible (Regular heavy cycler x2 vs Mattock (of all things)).

SLUGS?!

I like this fog, reminds me of Morrowind in low view distance.
  4. freeze

the amount of proof in this video is overwhelming
    • Up x 2
  5. StormFrog

I haven't actually used Mattocks. I don't know anyone who does. I know their initial pellet damage is 112 (default is 143) and that they probably don't decay over range as much (like the Jackhammer). I also don't know if Mattocks have any special interaction with slugs.

If he was using slugs it sounds like he got very lucky. Scattercannon CoF recoil is 1 degree per shot and goes up to a max of 7, compared to 0.05 degrees per shot and a max of 3 for TR MAXs.
  6. MaxDamage

Yeah I rarely see Mattocks.. Scat and Hax tho, at 25ish feet just eat massive CHUNKs out of my health like goddamn pacman. The slow bleed of Mercys relies on the NC MAX needing to reload.
    • Up x 1
  7. Moumoulle

Good video dude, do not pay attention to the baby
  8. Sifer2

They can hit an kill from farther. Perhaps not as consistently but definitely can. That's also about the range the other empires MAX are best at too really. They can just pepper people from farther but if the person doesn't stand still they will rarely get killed. AI MAX is just designed to be a CQC class really. And NC's is the best cause you can instagib a squad then charge escape. As opposed to slowly mowing down one guy then maybe getting away.
  9. xMihr

Seems about right to be honest, there was some serious exaggeration by some people in assuming biolab = within MAXs optimal range. The video did a great job framing what 15m is on the field and should be looked at with the addition of the range test videos others like to cite.

Kudos.
  10. StormFrog

Maybe I should have included these videos, done by other people, to explain why I put so much emphasis on the 10m and 15m ranges:

• Up x 3
  11. DankFist

What those videos don't show is an actual fight where the NC MAX will either charge up to your face and blow it off or out of your LoS making them entirely invalid.
    • Up x 1
  12. StormFrog

They don't, but the smarter use of charge is to keep your cooldown limited MAX alive. The only time I'll charge offensively is if there are more friendlies around than enemies, otherwise I just die to his friends while I reload. I'd rather keep my MAX alive and killing infantry than trade it one for one.
    • Up x 2
  13. DankFist

Which is my point. Those are the two things they are likely to do rather than just stand there and take a pounding. These videos are utter garbage.
  14. xMihr

Oh lord. Storm you had a good video showing effective range in a biolab, this guy has an axe to grind and isn't going to be much good for enlightening conversation.

Thanks for the vid and the links to others work as well.
    • Up x 1
  15. Bambolero

Never post again.
    Ever...
  16. TintaBux

The scatter guns are really poor at anything but very close range ,shooting enemies outside that 10 meters makes killing very hard, I own the NC max with VS/TR max, sit back a bit and it's a job easily done.

Of course you can kill with the scatters further way but the damage is very poor.
  17. Bambolero

NC AI MAX is only good for camping spawn doors in bio labs, hidden around a corner waiting for a random noob to run in, (which it almost never happens anymore, people learn to play) , boring game play if i ever saw one.
    And that only works when you have a pair of engies to support you.
    I wasted 14 bucks on hacksaws that I never use.
  18. Brainpan

I find these videos useful and I thank all those who make them. It helps understand what in game distances look like.

The entire "15 meters is shorter than you think" makes me remember the joke about men who misjudge length due to certain reasons...

"That is a 14 foot wall. That is a great wall."
  19. Xae

This was before 2 buffs to the Scattermax or shotguns in general that improved their range.
  20. SharpeShooter

Them videos do not show real ingame combat! 99% of all Max fighting occurs within 10m (Bio labs and towers)! In bio labs you're not shooting across the bloody complex, you're shooting at each other in the SCU shield gen room and the SCU gen room it's self. One way to see if these Hacksaw max's are op, give TR and VS something similar and give the NC something like the cycler, and watch how many NC players stick with the scat max! They all will because.... its just ridicules!
    • Up x 3