[VIDEO] Inofficial Drifter fanclub (Drifter Jets lvl 5)

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Achmed20, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Achmed20

Thx to the double XP weekend and some boosters, i just finished upgrading drifters to lvl 5.
    The range/Airtime has pretty much doubled instead of ~16 seconds (lvl) I have like 30 Seconds now. Recharge is the same.

I made a small comparison video again and added some new drifter footage (still lvl 4) aswell.
    I have more footage here but cutting this stuff with windows moviemaker totaly sucks and i dont feel liek searching for another freeware alternative right now (tips appriciated).

Maybe i'll do a guide sooner or later but currently im still collecting experience with the drifters.
    have fun and happy holidays :)
    • Up x 1
  2. Blitzer

Props for making that video. I bought drifter jets couple of weeks ago mostly because I just refused to believe they weren't good for anything (which seems to be the general public opinion), that said I was pretty underwhelmed with lvl 1 performance because the duration was so pathetic (and I had seen some beta footage where some dude drifted for ages, which certainly gave me visions of possibilities) and I put the idea of upgrading the DJs to the back burner. However, seeing now that the duration scales so awesomely, my interest to drifting has returned. =)

I have couple of questions:
    1) Do you use adrenaline pump with drifter jets?
    2) Can you side strafe without touching the ground at all?

PS: I agree shotgun is definitely the way to go with DJs.
  3. Malkurn

What people either don't know or don't remember is that when drifters were introduced in beta, SOE was giving 10k certs per day for testing purposes. Everyone had max level drifters in those beta videos most likely. This video looks like how I remembered the drifters from beta. Thanks for testing this Achmed.
  4. Achmed20

1. nope, it doesnt stack. currently im using nano weave but i will switch to flak or ammo sooner or later.
    2. not really. if you move in any direction you are going to loose height. which kinda annoys me but its till manageable
  5. Anvos

Still not seeing a reason this would be more useful than regular jets. Especially since in any combat situation a long drift would just make you a target that is likely to have a sniper shot to the head along with other bullets pumped into it.

Also half the time the people in the video aren't even positioned to fire at you so that's more a testament to ambushing than the jump jets.
  6. Achmed20

thats the probably the whole point of the LA class. you dont engage from the front.
  7. Wildclaw

Drifters allows you to

* Move faster than sprinting while firing. (although anything but shotgun is horrible unfortunately due to the aim penalty. If anything, that is the one thing I would like to see improved. As drifters provide more stable lift, shouldn't you be able to aim better with them than with jump jets so you could at least use carbines to some degree)
    * Traverse significant distances and has very good uptime due to quick recharge. (coupled with jump pads or good starting height, it is possible to do various stuff like pinpoint land ontop of enemy tanks for C4 placement)
    * Climb pretty much any inclination less than 90 degrees.
    * Hang on to any surface including 90 degree flat walls.

Here is a small example of the latter. Not my proudest movement as I was didn't pay attention where I was going and got attacked from behind. But the video does demonstrate cliff climbing with drifters, including strafing along a wall and even looking around without falling (when I get shot by the MAX). The wall I started on wasn't the best to try to climb though, as it does become 90 degrees and as such isn't climbable to the top)

8. Shockfrosted

I watched mister giraffe man play with lvl5 drifters and it pretty much sold me on the plan, to give them a try.
    I've been meaning to get around to some light assault action, once I'm done certing my medic (which I am).
  9. Shelk

As a LA with JJ atm, I'm going to try these. It's dissapointing to see that DJ get almost a 2fold upgrade at lvl 5, and JJ have an upgrade that is barely noticeable (recharge stays the same, but duration is a second maybe two). JJ's almost are a waste of certs past 3-4, DJ's look interesting. Thank you for posting.

Shelk
  10. Wildclaw

Here is me using Drifters + Grenade Launcher, Kamikaze style, defending the crown. Sorry in advance about the bad quality. I am using the in-game video capturing that isn't any good.

Gaining 1 cert every 6s, and that is while wasting the first 40s doing nothing (and please ignore that I totally failed to see the enemy running right in front of me at the start) :)
  11. Achmed20

you forgot top drop C4 on their heads ;)
  12. Wildclaw

I had already been farming for an hour or more and the Crown unfortunately doesn't give bonus infantry resources, so I was starting to hold back some. :)
  13. Paqu

Got my drifter to level 5 as well. Here is some footage when I go after some tanks. Jet is on level 4 at some of the clips, but level 5 on others. Its fun to jump from high and then just float over the enemies and carefully pick the target to go after to. Level 5 really gives very long flight time especially if you just hover or tap the forward key. The normal jet feels just so pathetic after playing around with the drifter even tho there are many places where drifter is useless like inside the biolabs.

14. yama

Drifter fun at Vanu Archives. Only got the last Sundy on tape, but there were many that came before :)
    Yes, the third brick was a buddys on TS.

15. FleshIcon

It seems to me the jumpjets are good to get up high yet the drifters are good for when you are up high. Choices, choices.
  16. irishroy

yep, but how do you get in these high locations?
    yep, watchtower, crown etc.
    but how did you get up there? (like at 2:09 2:39 etc.)
  17. Paqu

Well that place was Broken Arch Road which is south from Crossroads Watchtower in Indar. You have this gently sloping hill right next to it and the Broken Arch leaves below there in that canyon. So all I needed to do was to run up there from crossroads. I did that couple times until I realized that I could even get sunderer up there as well. So I did and after that I could just simply jump down again right after I died and kill another tank.

However with drifters you can actually climb very steep hills where on foot you would just slide down. Its not very fast going but then again you wont run out of fuel anytime soon either with level 5 drifter jet.
  18. irishroy

okdokey, thx, but how can i climb with the drifterpacks?
    i thought they just try to keep you at the same height?
  19. Paqu

By just simply running against the hill and keeping the jet on. It will slowly push you upwards against the hill. Of course you cant climb completely straight walls, but just a little angle is all you need.
  20. irishroy