[Guide] [VIDEO] Hot Sweaty Reaver Action

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ThundaHawkPS, Apr 20, 2013.

1. ThundaHawkPS

QRY Squadron in action

featuring realistic NSFW voice chat

• Up x 1
  2. ThundaHawkPS

3. ThundaHawkPS

4. NovaAustralis

ThundaHawk, you've demonstrated (via video proof) that you're a pro in the Reaver.
    You also don't seem to be an arrogant, conceited idiot like some other decent Reaver pilots out there. (names withheld)

To a fellow NC Reaver pilot aspiring to get better, can you please let me know your secret at consistently landing rounds with the Vortek??? o_O

I aim with the crosshairs, I always miss. (duh)
    So, I aim a bit high... I miss.
    So, I aim a bit low... I miss.
    I'm finding I basically need to have the enemy aircraft filling my screen before I can consistently hit them...
    In nearly every face-to-face dogfight I have with Scythes and Mozzies, all my rounds go under them... while all of their rounds go into my face...
    If I adjust my aim up to compensate, I lose sight of them behind my dashboard...
    :mad:

Any help / advice much appreciated! ;)
  5. ThundaHawkPS

1) Don't aim with the vortek reticule. The bullets always originate beneath. You can use the bottom portion of the xhairs as a starting reference.

2) Practice is #1. You want to aim by 'feel' as opposed to sight. Sometimes when I fly the mosquito or scythe I miss my initial rotary shots because I lead as if I were firing from a reaver and this is because I'm so used to the vortek's firing pattern.

3) Realize that some angles are very unfavorable to shoot from/at. That's just how it is.

4) Stop firing if you start missing. Readjust your aim and find a new lead. One of the biggest mistakes you can make is to hold the trigger down after 5+ misses. Misses affect the Reaver more than the other 2 ESF because each missed bullet represents a larger DPS loss.

5) Fire single shots or short bursts to gauge the vortek's firing point. This is especially helpful for distant or small (mosquito) targets.

6. ThundaHawkPS

7. LightningWolfTigrBer

Nice footage, cool seeing a dedicated Reaver squadron in action. I take it you guys run into that Aarth guy a lot? Seems to be some animosity there. Also, that ram at the end was pretty priceless. *Click Click* "..." /afterburner :D
  8. RealRook

wow those last few videos were pretty cool! keep em coming!
  9. ThundaHawkPS

That's one thing about Planetside. You run into the same people a lot.

Dont think anybody particularly dislikes Aarth in QRY. He's a runner who tends to only fight from advantage which is annoying but that's a lot of people.

10. DonC

That looked like fun, who was that?

You, Moe, Larry and Curly?
  11. yama

Soques >>>>> "Socs"

:)
  12. LahLahSr

Some fine flying and shooting here and there...even if this thread is a little too ************...
  13. ISpyWithMyLittleEye

Great flying coupled with a squadron as usual ThundaHawk.

What do you think of 1 person running A2A missiles as part of a flight squadron ? I've been running rotary + AB tanks but I've been considering going A2A missiles when I'm part of a flight team.
  14. ThundaHawkPS

A2A missiles in large-scale fights would be very effective especially if terrain options are limited. Missiles seem to track (too) well right now, going around obstacles at high speeds.

For awhile though, A2As would fizzle out and go dumb for no reason. Damage-wise rotaries do significantly more DPS than the missiles, but the missiles can deliver reliable damage if the pilot can't aim well + they can force their targets to fly a certain way.

I have not used A2A since I auraxium medalled it many months ago. I think wire-guided A2A might*** work better depending on the implementation.

15. ThundaHawkPS

Extremely relevant bump
  16. ThundaHawkPS

Lionheart, Goodluck Bear, Tenderheart Bear, Lovealot Bear, and Harmony bear.

17. DonC

That sounds too sexual for pilot nicks.
  18. ThundaHawkPS

Share Bear, Secret Bear, Baby Hugs Bear, Baby Tugs Bear, Daydream Bear, Forest Friend Bear

19. ThundaHawkPS

Ya.

EDIT: It didn't occur to me before, but in post #202 video Corewin says something about how he's getting locked by A2A and 'has to hide'.

The missiles are certainly effective and you can do work spamming lockons from a safe distance. You'll probably, eventually gain the ire of some good pilots, though, for being such a pest. Best watch your back then, eh?

20. ThundaHawkPS