[Guide] [Video] Destroy any tank in 4 seconds with your ESF.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RoofLurker, Mar 8, 2015.

1. RoofLurker

Hi guys,
    I just felt like sharing what is imo the most effective method of dealing with tanks
    in a 1vs1 situation while you're flying an ESF.
    Many experienced pilots have probably discovered it already,
    but I think it's worth putting into a tutorial for newer pilots.
    Watch in 720p60fps for the best view.

Looking forward to your thoughts!
    • Up x 7
  2. ColonelChingles

Too many pilots tend to use Hornets as a "stand-off" weapon where they try to engage tanks at long-range.

While this is far less riskier, it extends TTK due to missile travel time and also allows tanks more time to react, evade, or dodge after the first salvo hits. More than that, pilots who use Hornets in this way tend to attack tanks from the front/top, which doesn't deliver the same results as hitting them in the rear. Generally these pilots can at most get tanks to disengage or maybe score a kill on an injured tank, but overall it is far less effective.

The proper way to use Hornets is the one shown in this video, where tanks are hit by a low missile strike and the ESF is moving in and out. Hornets were never really meant to be extreme long-range tank killers (which is why they had that weird drop), but instead can assassinate armor before they really have a chance to respond.
    • Up x 4
  3. Haquim

I'm doing this quite often actually.
    I would advise against using the nosegun though - your best weapon is surprise and the enemies' confusion. Hitting him with a stream of bullets will tell him quite clearly where you are and whats happening, which can really mess things up.
    Vanguards often don't use the shield when they don't understand the threat, but as soon as they realize they'll hit their panic button and your effort is almost certainly wasted.
    Same with Magriders, although their panic button simply brings them out of your vision, but either way they will survive.

It is worth noting that Magriders are the hardest target for this maneuver - the hornets don't actually fly at your target, they fly at the ground UNDER the target you are pointing at - combined with the round and a bit smaller rear hitbox of the Magrider hat can throw your aim off quite a bit. Also Magriders get out of your aim easiest, thanks to magburner and their ability to strafe.
    Also: Remember that this only works if you fly rather low - this makes you an excellent target for tank main guns if there are other tanks around.

A good video, im kinda wondering why not more people do this...
    • Up x 4
  4. RoofLurker

That's a good take on the hornets. I was pretty confused when I tried to use them like the engineer AV turret,
    and had them de-spawn before reaching a target... One situation where I'd do a stand-off with them is when stumbling upon
    a deployed sunderer left undefended.

Can't believe I didn't consider leaving out the nosegun yet...
    Just tried it in the VR, and it only sets a full-health MBT on fire if you hit the follow up shots
    on the MBT's top, so it might be a trade-off,
    and will stop working if tanks get the proposed health buff.
    I'll see how I'll do with it in practice and maybe update the video.
    • Up x 1
  5. Haquim

It is true that my version only works if you manage to hit the rear with all rockets.
    The reason why I do it this way is, as I mentioned, stealth. I tend to attack large groups of enemies, sometimes tank columns with a dozen MBTs and several skyguards. Attracting attention is a good way to get killed before killing them :confused:. Well nobody can say that I'm a farmer picking easy targets ;).
    I basically approach flying at most 15m high, I launch the first salvo about 200m away from the target (if i can), accellerate toward them and shoot the second (and last) salvo 10m behind them. If everything works out the enemy tank had only 2 seconds to realize something was amiss before he blows up.
    Difficulties and technique aside - successfully blowing up a tank in the middle of his allies feels ******* great :cool: .

And yes, the tank changes will propably mess this up good - if they ever come to pass. SOE said they would nerf infantery AV against tanks, but it sounds like they will will propably nerf everything else vs tanks along with it - not sure how I feel about that to be honest.
  6. CorporationUSA

An anti-armor weapon countering armor? WOW this is such new information!
  7. Jawarisin

And flying low like that is just where the decimator/anybody else watching wants you. This is terribly risky and I would probably not bother
  8. Ballto21

what nosegun should i use for the vs?
  9. Jawarisin

The one that will intercept the tank shell headed your way as soon as you try this.

Though on another note, if you actualy plan on doing this, the hailstorm turbo laser would be the best because it has the highest DPS at that range, and its mag size won't matter.
  10. RoofLurker

Hailstorm Turbo Laser, since it's the vanu counterpart of M18 Rotary, which I'm using in the video.
    Or you could try not using a nosegun at all like Haquim suggests above.
  11. Iridar51

Impressive, but do you really have to weave in the nosegun? I've noticed a lot of your targets die just from 3x hornets + nosegun, wouldn't it be easier to just do 4x hornets?
  12. RoofLurker

In order to avoid the tank's main gun, I shoot the last two hornets in the tank's top, which would only get a full-health MBT burning, and a lightning that uses fire suppression after my first salvo could also possibly survive (not sure).
    However, a few posts above, Haquim suggested a bit different way of approaching the tank that requires just 4 hornets,
    so I'll be trying that out and I'll link it to the old video if I have any luck with it.
    • Up x 1
  13. Iridar51

Interesting. I think both ways have their place, as Haquim's maneuver requires several hundred meters of runway behind the target and better accuracy - kinda hard to nail those Hornets from 200m. While yours doesn't have that requirement.
  14. Badname707

Not pictured - AP shell vs ESF armor
    • Up x 1
  15. zaspacer

There are many ways to use Hornet effectively. It depends on situation and conditions: terrain, enemy ground presence, line-of-sight distance to target, etc.

Hornet's best targets are Non-Vanguard MBTs (potential Shield compromises time-to-kill/setup and potential Titan-150 AP is a added risk), Non-Sky Guard Lightning, and Non-Max Infantry. But since it's so hard to differentiate Skyguard from Non-Skyguard Lightnings, Hornet's best targets are Non-Vanguard MBTs and Non-Max Infantry

One example of a different way to use Hornet vs. MBT/Lightning:
    Vs. a target that you have line-of-sight on out to at least ~500 meters. Approach target from far range (600+ m) at about -15 degree angle of descent and about ~230 mph. Fire Hornets at ~450 meters and follow behind the projectiles as you reload and steer them onto target. When Hornets hit you will almost be on top of target, fire 2 more and then break once they are on target and exit. Doing it this way minimizes time between first hit and kill (2+ seconds), does not draw attention to your position like using Nosegun will. If you are spotted on approach, break and abort attack run. You can do this on a Skyguard that is dozing, but make sure to have a way to break line-of-sight if they engage before you can complete the Attack.

Another approach is just to do multiple dive attacks from the MBT's Aim Deadzone above them. Fire, hit, break and ascend (staying in their Aim Deadzone), then repeat until they are dead. This is the safest form to take out an MBT or Non-Skyguard Lightning that is on its own with now ally AA or Air support.

It's good to remember that ESFs can dictate terms of both engagement and repair timing. This often leaves Tankers either unwilling to risk doing repairs (while you can fly off and do yous) or finds them doing repairs while you return. You can use this to change attack direction (hidden by terrain and by speeds that minimize ESF noise) and Chip away kill an unrepairing Tank. Or to surprise an out of Tank repairing and hit them with a Hornet instead. It also can work well to Q-Spot wounded targets that are too dangerous to get back to, giving allies a greater chance to notice them and knock them out. Also, some Tank you hit may be in a risky spot to engage again, but you can follow them as they retreat to the back of their frontline and take them out there.

It's also good to get familiar with the exit point of the Hornet, do you can switch to it and take an extra shot at enemy ESFs passing below you. Hornet drops out from the bottom of your ESF. You can get the placement and timing by practicing strafe runs on Vehicles in VR, and hitting them as you pass over them in 1st Person at high speed. Doing it in 3rd Person will also help you see where they are firing from: they drop out, sometimes dropping out at a sideways angle.
  16. AlexR

You must add an exception for SHIELD VANGUARDS because this stupid cheat can survive even a full maxed tankbuster clip in the ***. Stipid press F to win option.
    • Up x 1
  17. RoofLurker

I have uploaded a short killstreak vid showing this method in use against skyguards,
    and linked it to the guide's end.
    I'm adding it here since I think it's relevant to the topic.

Watch in 720p60fps for the best view.
  18. Konstantinn

Yeah... because a Magrider can't magburn away by pressing F. Oh wait... it can.... "Stipid press F to win option."
  19. Jake the Dog

... You clearly don't tank...
  20. Klypto

I would be OK with this if hornets were not guided missiles. The wire guide is pretty silly.

He's absolutely right about the surviving part.

They still have a chance but the Vanguard doesn't have to move at all.