[Guide] Vid: Comparing BASR and at what range OHK on NW?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Scan, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Scan

Hello all,

An informative video this time, about Bolt Action sniperrifles. The damage they do, at which range, and at which ranges you need to be to get the one hit kill headshot on Nanoweave armor users.

I'll compare the standard BASR and the High Powered Longshot variants, show how much damage falloff you will get, and how close you need to be to your target to be able to OHK someone using NW3, 4 and 5.

And ofcourse throwing in what I think about all this.

• Up x 1
  2. Get2dachoppa

This is my latest example of how close you can be to your target and still not get a OHK from a BASR. Situation was TR had the point and we needed to push out from the spawn room. I put down a few darts to get an idea what side of the spawn room would be the best to push out from and try flanking. In the picture, where my crosshairs are at was an enemy LA covering the exit. I put a headshot into him, thunk, nanoweaved. I'm using the Ghost, suppressor attachment. He ducked behind the rock. I put down a waypoint to get an idea on the range then took the screenshot. Right around 40m, give or take a couple.
    [IMG]

Its just beyond stupid that NW can counter headshots at these ranges.
    • Up x 2
  3. MarkAntony

And that is why I laugh in the face of anyone who tells us to get closer. If I go any closer my knife and commissioner are better at killing with basically 1 shot.
    • Up x 1
  4. McToast

Moin
    I did what they said and moved closer. Now they are crying about me hopping in their face >_>.

Grüße,
    regards,
    the Toast
    • Up x 2
  5. cyb_

Like we all should know by now: you will not be able to OHK another class with Nanoweave 5 than Infiltrator with a suppressed low level BASR (not RAMS.50, etc) farer than about 30m away.

Now let's all make a waypoint 30m away on flat ground and start crying.
  6. Scan

Well people.... I've been coming here to these forums for quite awhile now, and have complained about this issue alot.

For the most part, what I got in return was ridicule. And for the most part, I think that ridicule was based on ignorance.

It is my hope that with this video, where I used fact, logic, and abit of personal opinion, more people will understand why it is that snipers keep complaining about Nanoweave, and reduce the : "Get closer noob" arguments.
  7. Scan

On my Youtube page someone was kind enough to tell me what the effects are of supressors on damagefall off.

What supressors do is cut off 10 meters from where the damage dropoff starts (at 0 meters)

And they cut off 25 meters of where minimum damage will be reached. (at 50 meters for standard at 75 meters for Longshot)

The damage fall off on BASR rifles with supressors is then:
    Standard BASR: 4 damage/meter.
    Longshot: 3,33 damage/meter.

The distance then become:

Standard rifles:
    NW5: 625 damage needed for OHK.
    Headshot distance to target: > 31 meters.

NW4: 600 damage needed for OHK.
    Headshot distance to target > 37 meters.

NW3: 575 damage needed for OHK.
    Headshot distance to target > 44 meters. (43,75 to be exact)

Longshot:
    NW5: 625 damage needed for OHK.
    Headshot distance to target: > 52,5 meters.

NW4: 600 damage needed for OHK.
    Headshot distance to target > 60 meters.

NW3: 575 damage needed for OHK.
    Headshot distance to target > 67,5 meters.
  8. Vaphell

obligatory chart for people with impaired reading ability:
    [IMG]
    • Up x 2
  9. Scan

Awesome.

Doesn't seem to be displayed properly.... but would I have known this was arround I would have used it.
    (and it's nice to see my math was correct)

Still the graph doesn't really show what these ranges are in practice.

I'm hoping all this information together will show how much of an issue this actually is.
  10. K2k4

I keep reading the info and just more upset.

This is ridiculous. These drop off distances are able to be reached accurately irl with a rubber band. Hell a headshot by an *** quarterback with a football is equally deadly at those ranges.

If I am able to hit you in the head with a sniper rifle which requires a rechamber with a silencer, accounting for long distance bullet drop,scope sway, and hoping to God you don't move at all while I line up the shot; then I deserve to have killed you. If it doesn't kill you then you do a little dance, find cover, get healed and come back knowing exactly where to find me because it only takes 3 seconds to recover from my failed assassination attempt. This doesn't take into account that if you have teammates they also know where to find me because my bullet leaves trails. It is not hard to find a sniper in this game, deny them kills for skills and you start losing players because it isn't fun.
  11. Vaphell

it doesn't? let me see, going along the dmg curve, reading the points where the lines cross (HS dmg = NWx hp)
    standard: NW5 ~51, NW4 ~59, NW3 ~67, NW2 ~71
    standard + suppressor: NW5 ~31, NW4 ~37, NW3 ~44, NW2 ~47
    tier3: ~73, ~82, ~91, ~95
    tier3+suppressor: ~52, ~60, ~67, ~71

sure, you don't see the fractions because the chart lacks resolution but it's plenty enough to estimate the values down to 1m precision.
    Suppressor is simply not worth it, maybe you can make it work on tier3 somehow but it will be a frustrating ride nonetheless.
  12. Scan

I'm sorry, you misunderstood. I think it's a very good graph, and I wish I had the patience to find out how to make them. If I had this before I made the video, I would have incorperated it.

What I meant with "in practice" was: in "theory" 91 meters seems like quite a distance, but if you look how this range scales in to the game itself (in practice) the ranges are in reality much closer than you'd expect.

It's my idea that this misconception has a big role in the discussion surrounding Bolt Action Rifles and Nanoweave, which causes people to respond with arguments such as: "Get closer"

Everything in life depends on your perspective. On paper (the graph), I think the perspective is far more positive than it actually is once you take this ranges inside the game.

This was the main reason I decided to get video footage, and show these distances from in game, in hopes to help bring some understanding to the community why Infiltrators are complaining about the non-viability of sniping and the enourmous effect Nanoweave has on this.
  13. Vaphell

oh ok. I made it in google doc spreadsheet because it allows to publish stuff and it took me few tries before i nailed it.
    it went mostly like this

Code:
    dist    T1-2    T1-2 sup    T3    T3 sup    nw0    nw1    nw2    nw3    nw4    nw5
    0    1500    1500    1600    1600    1000    1100    1125    1150    1200    1250
    10    1500        1600                           
    50        1100                               
    75    1100            1100                       
    100    1100    1100    1100    1100    1000    1100    1125    1150    1200    1250

edit: code tags are craptastic :/

create XY chart, make sure 1st col and row are used as legend. Voila.

Yes, it's true that the in-game meter is fishy and the perceived distance feels shorter than the numbers would suggest.
    • Up x 1
  14. Inex

I'm surprised at the 0m drop off for suppressors. I was doing some drop off testing a few weeks ago, but couldn't get enough points to draw reliable lines for most weapons and just assumed the 10m minimum was constant. How did you generate the numbers for this?
  15. Vaphell

Some time ago i read somewhere that suppressors are -10/-25 and it matched the observations, that's it. Where that dude get his info, no idea :)

It would be nice if soe pulled their collective head out of their collective *** and put some numbers in plain view. Supposedly competitive game where everything is behind ambiguous meaningless descriptions. How can one make educated choices if all important variables need to be guessed or extracted from raw data files? At least now we know the weapon dmg numbers, i remember discovering that tier3 rifle is still 550min dmg just like 3 other BASRs. I was not amused.
  16. Inex

Gut instinct says it's the devs trying to shield themselves from death threats for silently tweaking numbers. A tenth of a second change to a reload gets some people very upset.

But also lets them tweak things silently without having to worry about forumside revolt, or re-doing tool tips.

Neither of those are good reasons, mind you. But more than likely correct.

I should post my own VR testing numbers and methods eventually. That, or get somebody to sit there and stand in one spot and die repeatedly for hours on the test server so I can get real numbers.
  17. Scan

I'm getting sick and tired of SoE keeping us in the dark when it regards their descision making on what gets nerfed/buffed, and sometimes even nerfs things without mentioning it in the patch notes.

For instance, no one ever complained about Infiltrators being too difficult to see when they aren't cloaked. Yet out of the blue have "improved" our suits by adding faction colours, and try to sugarcoat it by saying it's to prevent getting shot by friendlies. So it was with the adding faction colour glow. Massive protests from the Infiltrator community. Still they implemented it. "Deal with it"

There would be less of a forum-revolt if they added good reasons for what they do, because some of the ******** that's in the game at the moment doesn't make any sense to me at all, and seems to be only there to prevent people to actually start having fun playing an INF.

As I am one of these people that actually pays for a subscription, to make use of their product. I feel I have a right to know when this product changes, and why it got changed.

Next up is rebalancing. If they got any balls at all, they will take a look at Nanoweave, compare them to the other suitslots, and determine that opposed to the other suit option being situational, Nanoweave is something that works all the time, for little investment, and in all situations.

Then they'd take a look at the ranges that weapons are effective at. At the moment, I can take a GD-7F, which is your typical close range carbine, and snipe people that are well beyond 60 meters away. Then we got your LMG's that are on a close combat class (HA) that are perfectly able to kill something beyond 120ish meters. (as demonstrated in the vid in my orignal post)

The only class that seems to be constricted into having to play in situations where they are most vulnerable, are Infiltrators. They did give us SMG's, but keep in mind that SMG's are only good within 10 meters, and that every other weapon the other classes have still will rip you a new one if they get the drop on you.

Furthermore, within 10 meters, your cloak is really not helping you. You can't fire. Your enemy will start shooting at you before you can shoot back. He has more health than you, and his weapon deals more damage than yours.

People who never even tried to seriously play an Infiltrator come on this form and claim that either the Infiltrator is overpowered, or that it's fine as it is. Well, newsflash, the Infiltrator is the most gimped and weak class there is, and in order for them to be used well, you need alot of practice.

You can't just roll into the Infiltrator class, and expect to do as well as you would do with for instance a Combat Medic. The players that stick with Infiltrator, generally have a higher ammount of skill than other classes, causing them to tear lesser skilled players a new one in a pistol fight.

OFCOURSE that Infiltrator is going to kill you, because he learned to play with a ton of distadvantages you don't have!

*sigh*

Just needed to get this off my chest.....
  18. PastalavistaBB

Nice explanation and data, but this has been discussed to death. SOE doesn't want noobies who just started the game to get OHKed from hundreds of meters over and over. Basically, they don't want to lose the new players/low skilled players. Sniping in this game is effectively dead, move along. Get a shiny OP SMG and start ripping people apart. Which I think is another farce.
  19. Scan

Clearly it hasn't been discussed enough, because the situation still hasn't changed.
  20. Kaska

Yes, because getting shot in the head by a sniper for 200 metres away is much more common then getting mauled by a MAX, blasted by a tank at your spawn, getting rockeded by pods just as you spawn a vehicle, or getting a drive-by by a Harasser.