Vehicle Resource Cost: How it should function

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Indigo Eclipse, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Indigo Eclipse

With the GU11 patch notes listing raised cost of vehicles; it's important to address a blanket change of this nature is not beneficial to the game, and an alternative to fix it.

Raising the cost of vehicles across the board hurts new players more than Vets. It only serves to increase the frustration of a new player first learning the game to get blasted out of his tank and suffer a very long timer plus extreme resource cost.

I get that SOE wants to make losing a vehicle hurt. To prevent chain pulling of tanks. I get that. But why should new players suffer more than Vets? A good Vet. knows how to keep his vehicle alive much longer and generally can squeeze the point value out of his vehicles of choice.

Here's how I propose to fix this to balance. Charge resource cost based on upgrades to the vehicles. Keep stock prices on vehicles very low and raise it as a vehicle becomes stronger. Therefore, new players suffer less of a hit as they learn, and Vets feel the sting a little more when their decked out ESF/Tank gets blasted.

For example:
    Llet's say stock Flash is 25v. For ever level of upgrades, add 5v. So a Flash adds Scrapper Chassis 3. That's +15v. Add in Stealth 1, +5v. Then Cloak 4 for +20v. Therefore, this Flash is now 65v without weapons. Lets just assume that adding a weapon by itself doesn't increase cost, because all other vehicles come with em. However, upgrades on a weapon do change it's effectiveness. Unfortunately, a blanket cost to weapon upgrades may not work. But for the time being, lets just go with base +2v per upgrade levels. So, Fury gun with Scope 1, Mag 4, Ammo 8. So that's +26v.

So, total cost of a descent Cloak Fury Flash comes to 91v each. Sure, it wont break the bank, but if they're chain pulling this, it'll dig into those Vehicle resources a lot faster than 25.

Granted, I wouldn't blanket cost it all, but rather balance it so that a Maxed out slot would cap at the same as another. IE: Full stealth costing the same as full Composite Armor even though they have different number of levels.

So that's it.

TL;DR Instead of across the board raises in vehicle cost, increase it based on upgrades. This does not hurt new players as badily and stings Veterans a little more for not being careful with their decked-out Tanks.
    • Up x 1