[Suggestion] Vehicle Equipment

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by SilverAura, Dec 16, 2012.

1. SilverAura

Perhaps I'm missing something here and I hope I am but if I'm not, perhaps this could be a suggestion that I'm surprised hasn't gotten some attention. If it has, I'd be interested in knowing the reason why it wasn't taken further.

Getting vehicles in PlanetSide has always been a bit more of a bigger deal than it has in most other online games. You invest something into it, be it the time it took to get a new one or new in PlanetSide 2, the resources. The investment made the vehicle a little more than just a piece of convenient equipment. No it's not the holy grail or anything but when you get one, it's typically when you know circumstances require it because for what little time you have to wait for a new one, is time when an even more perfect situation could have called for it and now you're without one.

This is good. So you wont hear any complaints from me on this. Vehicles and powerful equipment like MAX suits should be valued like this. However one thing that's been bothering me, especially lately as I've been buying new equipment for my vehicles, is a lack of equipment access after the vehicle is purchased.

I hate to make another one of 'those' posts because I know the argument that PlanetSide 2 is not the same as PlanetSide 1 here, but this one I think deserves some level of attention.

In PlanetSide 1, when you had a vehicle you could ride up to vehicle terminals and immediately access your inventory just like you could a soldier to an equipment terminal. Would it not be possible to allow the same for vehicles in PlanetSide 2? To re-access the terminal in a manner that would allow you to swap out between various utilities and attachments.

** Add a timeout between swapping equipment if you want, that's fair. ** But having a vehicles equipment set so hard in stone after it's spawned seems to put an unnecessary pressure on deciding the right loadout for a situation you can't always predict. Especially when you manage to keep your vehicle alive longer than you anticipated.
  2. SilverAura

A perfect example of this is MAX suits.
    You can re-access an equipment terminal as a MAX suit and swap your guns and loadouts without waiting until you can respawn another MAX.

The benefit and convenience seems to greatly outweigh any kind of foreseen disadvantages. The only thing I can imagine might be stopping this is a lack of effort to implement such a system due to some way vehicles are handled by the server after they're spawned.