Vanu shotgun velocity

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Illucidator, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Illucidator

Does anyone know why vanu shotguns have lower velocity and if there is anything different about vanu shotguns that make that a valid nerf because i thought vanu shotguns have bullet drop also?
  2. Xasapis

They used to have no drop, so slugs would go straight. These days they have drop. If the velocity is not equalised to the other factions, then it is a bug.
  3. asmodraxus

Its not a bug, its a feature...

Read: someone at SOE forgot to normalise that part of the weapon against the NC and TR versions
  4. NoctD

They still have no drop, if you don't use slugs. So the velocity is right, without slugs.

Still kinda silly since at those ranges, drop don't matter.
  5. Illucidator

But using slugs still gives bullet drop on vanu which is VERY noticeable. I tested all factions default shotguns with slugs on the underground range. Shooting all the shotguns from weapon terminal aiming for the head i could still get headshots with tr nd nc shotguns with slugs from that range but everytime i shot i shot the thanatos while aiming at the head it would always hit in the neck or lower. Thats a pretty big difference. I hope they atleast up the velocity to 300 while using slugs on vanu weapons because the pro of no bullet drop while using pellets doesnt overshadow the con of lower velocity and greater bullet of slugs.
    • Up x 1
  6. Mxiter

velocity either. :D
  7. Xasapis

Velocity kind of does on a shotgun, even on buckshots. It extends the effective range of it. It is part of the reason the Baron has better range than the rest of the shotgun, it basically has almost double the velocity of some of the other shotguns available.
  8. sindz

Also our 1 shotgun cost 750 certs where as TR and NC cost 250.
    • Up x 4
  9. Mxiter

I'm not sure if you're serious or sarcastic, buth thanks for the lauth anyway.

Baron biggest advantage is tighter COF/pellet spread. It's higher velocity is mostly (at 95%) interesting if you uses slugs.

It's not the velocity that limits pellets range but pellet spread.
    It doesn't change anyhting if the pellets hit the target 0.01 sec later compared to hit with 6 pellets instead of 4.
    BTW, you don't needs to compensate drop nor predicting movements at pellets range:rolleyes:

But yeah, SOE can give VS the same velocity than TR/VS shotguns, it wouldn't change anything if slugs are already normalized.
    I'm not against this change but there is much highest imbalances to fix first like this one:

10. TheRunDown

I'm quite sure the VS shotguns out performs TRs..
    Not sure if it's the Shell Count or the CoF but something allows them to Insta gib more reliably..
  11. task_master

This is literally the thing holding me back from getting Chaos. Well, that and how awful the baron is. pls fix
  12. sindz

Hint: They are 1:1 copies except VS one has lower velocity.
    • Up x 1
  13. Iridar51

Baron's slugs have 300 m/s velocity. Prooflink.
  14. Mechwolf

Well VS is the low powered close range faction... The last 4 months of updates could tell you that.
  15. Mxiter

I know iridar, but if you had to choose between baron's spread and baron's velocity, it would be baron's velocity, people would choose baron's spread any day.
  16. Xasapis

Spread has a bigger impact but velocity also contributes to the longer range of the buckshots of Baron compared to any other shotgun in the game.

To give you an idea, Chaos has the same spread as Baron, but not the same range. Which is why it retains the higher damage tier compared to Baron.
  17. Mxiter

Damage degradation:

Chaos: 130*6@8m//50@18m
    Baron: 100*7@10m//60@30m

@0m:
    chaos damages: 780 (130 per pellet)
    Baron damages: 700 (100 per pellet)

@10m:
    chaos damages: 684 (114 per pellet)
    Baron damages: 700 (80 per pellet)

@18m:
    chaos damages: 300 (50 per pellet)
    Baron damages: 560 (80 per pellet)

This have stronger impact than 33% better velocity at those ranges. (0.03 sec instead 0.025 sec to hit the target @ 10m)