Valkyrie should have a pilot gun and different skills.

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by daniel696, Aug 12, 2014.

1. daniel696

Title says all, it's a transport vehicle but everyone knows I'm a helicopter defender for planetside 2 here lol, I noticed the physics of flight for the valkyrie is more stable, slower but stable. You can easily stand still in the air for a couple seconds.
    We should use this opportunity to make it act more like a combat helicopter, very useful in places like Hossin and in low flight, the gun could be weak, but giving the pilot the feel he is in combat is already good. The others open seats is really innovative and good, now add vulcan to them (of course it's a joke, or maybe not...:eek:).
    The skills for the aircraft is the same of others ESF, I know this is a BETA version for test server, but just to make sure that the community said something: add some new ability to it, some kind of skill, movement, don't know. I only think it should have something different.
    But for me the priority here is: give the aircraft a pilot gun, because I know if we don't get it now, we won't get anytime soon anymore. For me, I would change the gun for the co pilot, to the pilot seat.
  2. Ash87

We should be moving Away from pilots/drivers having guns. Nao
    • Up x 11
  3. Elrobochanco

Agreed but Pilots should get visibility on their Gunners Cone of Fire. Even a 2d box in another like the old BF2 choppers. The little arrow on the seats doesn't cut it.
    • Up x 4
  4. CHDT65

Bus driving.
    Very interesting.
    • Up x 4
  5. nubery

Just give the pilot ESF secondary guns. The gunner gets other ****.

We want an assault chopper/transport!
  6. Sixstring

Before they do that they would need to make it easier to "auto-group" pilots and gunners,right now it's too difficult to find random gunners without requiring communication. The game needs to work efficiently with and without voice chat,I tried voice chat for awhile but then realized it just wasn't worth it of course I still like piloting and using vehicles so the game needs a system for pairing up pilots and gunners smoothly without stopping the game flow. Maybe there could be another option at vehicle terminals to auto-board available vehicles that are spawning.
  7. gigastar

It was never going to have a nosegun.

We knew it didnt have a nosegun when it was announced.

And you bring this up now?
    • Up x 3
  8. DaMann22

Like gigastar says this thing is not like a Liberator but more for transport. I would rather do with NO guns and turn this thing into straight transport than to have an additional nosegun.

6 SEATS PLEASE!
    • Up x 2
  9. Colt556

I want it to be more like the phantasm from PS1, which I said in another thread. However the nose gun for the gunner is actually a good addition for the transport. In PS2 pure transports serve little purpose, as painful as that is it's reality. With a gunner two guys can stay in the air and provide CAS to the fire team on the ground.

In my opinion the two additions the valkyrie NEEDS to be viable in it's role is a cloaking device, like the phantasm, and two additonal passenger seats so you only need two valks per squad. If it had those two additions I think it'd be fantastic in it's role of being a small fire team transport with some CAS capabilities.
    • Up x 2
  10. iccle

I'm not sure about making it like the phantasm, it could carry 4 squad leads invisibly to a position to place down beacons.
    I don't think that we need another a2g craft, the other aircraft have this role covered, and are better placed to do it.
    It definitely needs more seats if it is to be a transport craft, but my gut feeling about this is that a sunderer or galaxy is in every way better for this purpose.
    • Up x 1
  11. Colt556

It can already take squad leaders to places to plonk down spawn beacons, it being cloaked wont change that. Gotta remember why spawn beacons in silly places are pain, it's not because you don't know where they are, the giant pillar of light solves that issue. The issues is they're hard to get. That issue remains with or without a cloaking module.

As for the ATG thing, we already have ATA as well. The way I see it the valkyrie isn't a dedicated ATG like a lib, or even a very good ATG like an esf. It's ATG is mostly there to support the fire team it's deployed. The guys on the ground doin their thing, the valkyrie hovers overhead and picks off a bad guy running around the building towards their squad mates. It packs enough of a punch to support the guys on the ground but if you wanna do actual ATG work you take something else. I just think it'd be cool for a valkyrie to float in cloaked, drop off it's guys, then hover around the base in cloak and decloak to provide support as needed. We don't have anything in the game that can do things like this, it'd be a nice unique function.

When you combine 4 passengers with a cloaking device and a decet gun you start to see how it can differentiate itself from a galaxy, as I mentioned in the above paragraph. The valk has a lot of potential, but I feel it's gonna need something radical for PS2, like the phantasm cloak. Otherwise it'll just always be a lack luster galaxy.
    • Up x 2
  12. iccle

But it being cloaked will make it considerably harder to counter or anticipate, at least if its visible you can see where its traveling to and get an indication of where beacons may be setup. Gotta consider that potentially this 4 man invisible craft could be the start of 48 people dropping. The phantasm worked fine in ps1 because we didn't have spawn beacons and it required an infiltrator to pilot it for the cloak to work. There would have to be some severe restrictions on use if it was invisible in ps2.
  13. AlexR

Some players (MLG pilots ofcourse) want to play alone any vehicle. I'm tired of solo liberators with their tankbuster and even some using Dalton and then switch back to pilot seat. This is stupid and should go away, the pilot should fly. Thanks god valkyre will not be another solo vehicle so if you want to use new features, you at least should play a bit IN TEAM because this is a teamplay game.
    • Up x 1
  14. Colt556

Well, I can't think of any solutions to this off the top of my head. However I also feel it's not that big of an issue, nor should it prevent something cool like a cloaking module being added. Sure, maybe people could spot it and shoot it down before it reaches it's destination. Or maybe they couldn't, I mean we see ESFs go where they please before getting shot down. If they want to stick SLs on a hill, they'll do it, with or without cloak. So while it may be annoying, that doesn't necessarily make it bad, especially when you put things into perspective. This threat is only really a big deal to platoons, organized groups. What's to stop them from bringing in 4 galaxies, dropping off their guys, and then spawning in those galaxies that are now circling at max altitude? This sort of thing can already be done, it being done with spawn beacons doesn't seem to be any worse.
  15. iccle

The difference is you can see galaxies coming and going so you have a chance to intercept.
    • Up x 1
  16. iccle

I agree with the op on the skills/utility of the aircraft i wish it had something that made it stand out above the rest in some specific area, maybe give it an emp blast gun or area spotting device or something like that.

I do not think the pilot should have a gun.

At the moment in its current iteration i see no reason why we would choose the valkyrie over a galaxy, sunderer or simply redeploying.
  17. Colt556

Yeah but let's be honest here, you aint gonna intercept a galaxy before the 4 LA SL's hop out and float to wherever they wanted to place the beacons. If you had enough firepower to bring a gal down that quickly, you have enough manpower to deal with an attacking platoon.

Like I said, I can understand it being a bit of an issue, I just don't see it as a big enough issue to warrant not having a cloak on the valkyrie. It's a minor annoyance, but then there's a lot of strategies outfits can employ that are annoying. And in the grand scheme of things this issue can already be done as I explained. You mention intercepting a galaxy, but what if they send 4 galaxies? Can you shoot down four galaxies before they reach a location where the LA can hop out? What about 12 galaxies? 24? If an outfit wants to do something, they'll do it. Cool features shouldn't be withheld because of that is how I feel.
  18. iccle

Ok so to take your 4 galaxy example, convert it to cloaked valkyrie and you now have to deal with 12 invisible aircraft (assuming all galaxies were full and all valkyries). I would like to say at this point that i loved the phantasm, played infiltrator for over 4 years in ps1 but it was not an issue there because it had no weapons and there was no spawn beacons and no squad deploy.

If the valkyrie were to be given a cloak in ps2 there would need to be viable ways to detect them approaching because many players would abuse/use the crap out of it.

Spawn beacons are not my only concern, a cloaked valkyrie would be the number one option to drop people onto ground vehicles with c4/av. And i think that vehicles have more than enough things to be situationally aware of as it is.
  19. Colt556

Well, using your various examples. All 12 valkyries would have to waddle in at a snails pace, because going fast would make them pretty damned visible, same as the phantasm. You also can't squad spawn/deploy/whatever on them is a simple enough thing to do. They'd also still make noise so if nothing else you can hear them coming.

Y'know what could be done is scout radar can pick up cloaked valks at reduced range. So say a scout radar has a range of 100 meters, then when a valk gets say... 50 meters away it shows up on radar. If it's 75 meters away it's still invisible. This would allow people to counter valks if they so chose.
  20. Domdulka

This Air really and badly need high speed !!! And It need defluat afterburner as like have ESF